The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-18-2021, 08:01 AM

Default Jang OM

It's not often that I get emotionally attached to a particular luthier's instruments. I have purchased several different models from the same builder but only once have I sold a particular guitar, regretted it, found a similar example and purchased it immediately. So it was with this Isaac Jang OM. I've played and enjoyed guitars from Somogyi, Greenfield, Kostal, Galloup, Casimi, and many other top echelon craftsman. While all were superb instruments, only the Jang has become an obsession.

First, I love the open, resonant presentation with tons of overtones that support the fundamental but don't over power it. Second, the natural harmonics are presented with a volume and clarity no other guitar I have played comes close to. The fast attack on the bass strings is extraordinary and unique for an instrument with this relatively small body size and depth. All of the above make playing the guitar like visiting with an old friend and sharing memories of days gone by.

There is nothing unique about the construction that I can see. It is flawless but standard. The top is relatively thin compared to other instruments I have owned but it is not a composite or lattice build.

However he does it, this luthier has created a design that to my ears is the total package of all you could ever want in a guitar. Everyone has their own preferences but Mr. Jang has nailed it for me.

Italian Spruce soundboard with Cocobolo back and sides. Curly Koa binding and accents. Gotoh tuners.

Cincy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0391.jpg (33.7 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0394.jpg (44.1 KB, 544 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0395.jpg (37.5 KB, 545 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0396 2.jpg (31.2 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0392.jpg (32.2 KB, 545 views)
Old 07-18-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing this. Another great luthier was singing Isaac's praises to me recently. Given how great the other luthier's work is, I took note!
Old 07-18-2021, 11:30 AM
Musical minimalist

Lovely - simple elegance.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:16 PM

Congratulations on finding the one that works for you. I think Mr Jang's guitars are exquisite.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Go Isaac...! Mr Jang is the BEST.... Congrats
Old 07-18-2021, 10:31 PM

I too have had guitars made by such luminaries as Somogyi, Traugott, Greenfield (though only for the GF though) etc but in the end I don't really miss those guitars great though they were as I am very happy to have my Isaac Jang OM as my sole full sized guitar when I decided to downsize my small collection a few years ago. It has a very satisfying tone that is all its own and that is the "Goldilocks" of guitars in terms of it being just right in every attribute. Jang is well known for particularly his Adi/BRW and Italian spruce/cocobolo combos so since you have tried the latter combo, you should aim for the former next!
Old 07-19-2021, 04:10 AM

Here is the demo video of the guitar by Isaac Jang. Thanks to TNAG for facilitating my reunion with the brand. Amazing depth to the bass that surpasses any Dreadnought I have ever played. It must be magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taCCloKeQVQ

Cincy
Old 07-20-2021, 03:52 AM

Pretty amazing sound.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 07-20-2021, 08:11 AM

Isaac Jang’s guitars are as close to ideal a modern instrument as any I’ve played or heard. Strong fundamental, glassy overtones, and incredibly “forward” across all strings and registers. The cocobolo I played was wonderfully deep and rich, and the Brazilian a little less so, but with a slightly quicker response. Impossible to choose between the two.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

That TNAG demo make my knees weak.
My Italian/Coco Jang OM is being delivered in the next month or so. Isaac has been a real pleasure to work with.
I will report back (hopefully soon!).
2019 Froggy Bottom H12 (Adi/Bastogne)
2023 Isaac Jang OM (Italian/Coco)
2020 PRS SE Custom
Old 07-20-2021, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Isaac's guitars are really special...the one I got to demo for Cedar Rock in January left a mark on me for sure, the compound fingerboard radius and playability with the full-body binding bevels was such a treat. Was never able to fully enjoy the ones at Woodstock and NAMM shows but could tell they all carry a consistent "purity". Congrats to you on your new acquisition. Enjoy in good health!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 07-20-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfarhadi View Post
That TNAG demo make my knees weak.
My Italian/Coco Jang OM is being delivered in the next month or so. Isaac has been a real pleasure to work with.
I will report back (hopefully soon!).
You are in for a real treat. Full review on this site required!

Cincy
Old 07-20-2021, 04:57 PM

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/20...swco-1017.html

If you are shopping in this price range, you will never play a more balanced, sweeter guitar that the one that Isaac builds. This one won't last long.

This is a public service announcement. I have no financial interest in DG or this instrument.

Cincy
Old 07-20-2021, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting Cincy.

I'm sure this guitar is a monster, and I don't know anything about microphones, but to my ears that recent TNAG recording much better captured the special tone of these Jangs.
2019 Froggy Bottom H12 (Adi/Bastogne)
2023 Isaac Jang OM (Italian/Coco)
2020 PRS SE Custom
Old 07-20-2021, 09:54 PM

One aspect of Jang's tone that is particularly noticeable to me is the bloom of the tone..in the best guitars there is a bloom that expands and dies away as the note is played. Another feature is fundamental fatness and clarity and warmth. At the same time there are always just the right complement of overtones. Isaac's best is at the level of the very best guitars in the world being made today.

Design wise I have also pointed out in another thread how unique looking his guitsts are. It is unusual that with isaac he has had a distinctive aesthetic look to his guitsts that mark them out as his own from even across the room and thye look very fetching indeed. This aesthetic look has also been the same from the start if his luthierie career unlike most luthiers who find their own look through experimentation and earlier versions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop