The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-22-2019, 09:38 PM

Default 2019 Winter NAMM

Anyone going? It looks low-key for the CF world. Last I checked it was McPherson and Journey that are gong to be there and that is it. No RainSong, no CA, no Emerald. I've noticed RainSong pulled their ad from AGM, and also their banner that flew so proudly here on the forum forever and a day is gone. Wonder if they have some cool new tricks up their sleeve?

Anyone have an inside scoop? Hmm??
Old 01-23-2019, 01:51 AM

Emerald has never had a booth at NAMM, I believe. But most years visit to look, see, connect, etc. So no booth is nothing different or unusual for them.

But Rainsong & CA? That is a noticeable change. And it's certainly a departure from the practice and pattern of past years.

Is it an indicator of changes coming? Impossible to know--but you made an observation worth noting, at least.

The NAMM booths cost bucks. If a company doesn't realize real or perceived value for their booth investment--eventually NAMM will be just an unncessary expense for them. Makes sense to stop for a time.

Probably likely CA & Rainsong will still come and visit NAMM since both are US based. Haven't heard those in the know mention yet if Emerald will visit or not.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:24 AM

I am actually not going this year after about 5 in a row...RainSong not going ...my favorite piano (Ravenscroft) not going ...I think Blackbird is not going (I didn't see them on attendees list)...McPherson and Journey are going... Alistair not going ... he goes sometimes just because
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-23-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I would think that since the NAMM show isn't for the public, if a manufacturer thinks they have enough dealers, and no new product introductions, there wouldn't be much reason to spend the money just to "have a presence."
Old 01-23-2019, 10:10 AM
Guest 928

The big loss is Mr. K. He always reports back with great video reportage. The others probably found out he wasn't going and decided that if he wasn't there it just wasn't worth doing.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

John won't be there....
Old 01-23-2019, 01:44 PM

Plus my fav NAMM model Nichol is not going... so there is that as well
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-27-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Emerald has never had a booth at NAMM, I believe. But most years visit to look, see, connect, etc. So no booth is nothing different or unusual for them.

But Rainsong & CA? That is a noticeable change. And it's certainly a departure from the practice and pattern of past years.

Is it an indicator of changes coming? Impossible to know--but you made an observation worth noting, at least.

The NAMM booths cost bucks. If a company doesn't realize real or perceived value for their booth investment--eventually NAMM will be just an unncessary expense for them. Makes sense to stop for a time.

Probably likely CA & Rainsong will still come and visit NAMM since both are US based. Haven't heard those in the know mention yet if Emerald will visit or not.
Emerald had a booth at NAMM back in 2010.

https://youtu.be/DYOMS8TqMg4
Old 01-28-2019, 06:53 AM

You're right. I forgot that video from 9 years ago. Summer NAMM.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:30 PM

I've never been to the Summer NAMM show in Tennessee, only the Winter NAMM shows in LA or Anaheim. You can tell by the background just how noisy and busy the venue is, and that is the SMALL show,. To be fair it appeared to be the on-camera mics used.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:10 PM

I think NAMM - along with most other industries' trade shows are increasingly an anachronism. In our current digital age, it is so easy to find, segment, and reach customers that the hassle, cost, and inconvenience of this sort of dog and pony show are becoming more and more irrelevant. Emerald, for example, has done such a great job with their web presence I can't imagine any upside for them having a booth...
Old 01-28-2019, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

I don't think it's because they are too small, I think it's because they are direct to consumer, they don't need no stinkin' distributors.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelch View Post
Emerald had a booth at NAMM back in 2010.

https://youtu.be/DYOMS8TqMg4
That might just be the worst demo video I've ever seen. I feel seasick
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-28-2019, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

I assume that you're intimately familiar with Rainsong, Peavey, Journey, Blackbird and McPherson's relative sales numbers to be able to make that comment.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-11-2019 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Quote deleted
Old 01-28-2019, 07:34 PM
Guest 928

David;

I like your candidness, its sort of invigorating. On the other hand, there might be smoother ways to make your point.

For example, Emerald has nice production numbers and while he has made many visits to NAMM, I suspect that it is just not his kind of show. And I don't blame him--the show is supposed to be about musical instruments but the noise pretty much suppresses any attempt at music. In short, like many people, Alistair is not too hot on NAMM.

There is a serious distribution network that facilitates the big players and NAMM may be the hub of that network, where company representatives and owners can gather together and piece together how many of what goes to where. Alistair is definitely not part of the network. Sure doesn't seem to alter the quality of his instruments.

As closely as I can determine, every CF guitar and maker can be faulted in one way or another. Its good to have critical input and argument, but its better for your health to go forth with a heart full of hope while looking for the good stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber