The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Removing an LR Baggs Lyric

I would like to take a LR Baggs lyric out of my Martin dread in order to sell it. I've called two shops and the both charge a pretty significant amount to remove the pickup, but I'm curious if this is something I can do myself and save the cash.

Anyone done this and have any tips and tricks?

I did call LR baggs. And they are sending me a replacement set of adhesive stickers (good company).
Old 03-11-2014, 01:08 PM

There are three things stuck inside the guitar with adhesive pads, the volume control, the mic, and the battery bag. The battery velcro might be the hardest to remove so you might just leave it if you're gonna install something else (it'll be wasted otherwise). The other two parts, just get your fingers under it and pull and it'll come out. You'll probably have to pull harder than you think you should, but it'll come loose. They're small little pads so I wouldn't worry too much if you pull a few splinters out with it.

Then you'll just unscrew the strap button and the nut under that and everything will be loose inside the guitar. There is a flat washer and a lock washer on the shaft of the jack that you'll probably lose inside the guitar, but just fish them out like you would a dropped pick.

LR Baggs is great about sending out those adhesive pads. Great company as you say.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:36 AM

Don't know what they wanted to charge but I swap pick up systems for folks all the time. Shouldn't take more than half an hour to pull a Lyric, clean up the residue and put the strings back on. The wire clips can stay, they just fold over the wires, no need to pull them off the guitar inside. This will make installing another system perhaps easier in the future.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
Don't know what they wanted to charge but I swap pick up systems for folks all the time. Shouldn't take more than half an hour to pull a Lyric, clean up the residue and put the strings back on. The wire clips can stay, they just fold over the wires, no need to pull them off the guitar inside. This will make installing another system perhaps easier in the future.
Yeah..forgot about the clips. What B Howard said.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:16 PM

Default easy peasy

added helpful, i buy at walmart i think it is scotch double sided tape (heavy duty with red cover) for replacement of the baggs stickums, a roll lasts forever, allows for as many overs as you need. absolutely do it yourself, go slow and after one experience you will be installing and removing for your friends. that is one reason i love the baggs PUs, no super glue, no hope you get it right the first time, move it around in as many guitars as you want.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:44 AM

For what it's worth, I just removed a Lyric from a Martin 000-15m and it was all just as bnjp said. The only other possibly helpful bit I might offer is that when the battery bag velcro is removed, it leaves a fair amount of the adhesive foam backing behind. I found that this can be removed completely by carefully "rolling" it off against the guitar body with your thumb. It takes a bit of patience, but it worked well for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair