The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-23-2021, 10:16 AM

Default If you're shopping for an amp - and even if you're not...

- you're not going to beat this deal, about what you'd pay for a used one in decent shape:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

Limited to stock on hand, runs through 11/27 - probably sell out long before then...
Old 11-23-2021, 12:39 PM

Wow!!! That's less than I paid a few years ago for mine. Phenomenal deal. Great amp. Mine needed re-tubed right away, but she's been going strong otherwise.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:43 PM

I wish we had deals like that in Canada. I'd pick one up.

Old 11-23-2021, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

I don't need another amp..I don't need another amp..I don't need another amp..I don't need another amp..I don't need another amp...

I'm trying my best.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

If the 5w comes on sale, that might be too irresistible to not try…
Old 11-23-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Wow!!! That's less than I paid a few years ago for mine. Phenomenal deal. Great amp. Mine needed re-tubed right away, but she's been going strong otherwise.
FYI that's what the first-generation "blue-light" version was selling for when I got mine in 2010 - BTW the $1.29 POS tubes were/are the weak link, and I've been running the same set of these in my V22 since then with no signs of quitting:

https://www.thetubestore.com/bugera-v22-premium-package
Old 11-23-2021, 06:49 PM

I just ordered two of them. The free shipping pushed me over the edge.

I haven't gigged in a long time, but have been talking with some folks lately about doing just that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LPbs_g-5J8
Old 11-24-2021, 11:43 PM

I bought mine a couple of years ago on Steve DeRosa's recommendation, and I'm very happy with it. At the time I bought it, Musician's Friend was retailing them for $399.99, and when they had a 15% off sale I went to GC and they price matched. Since the pandemic, however, the price has skyrocketed, so this is a really good deal.

BTW, I did change out the tubes for JJs and I recently replaced the speaker with an Eminence Cannabis Rex, but the stock speaker is not all that bad.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-25-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
I just ordered two of them. The free shipping pushed me over the edge.

I haven't gigged in a long time, but have been talking with some folks lately about doing just that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LPbs_g-5J8
You ordered two of them? Going to be a great NAD thread .

Blues Brothers would be proud.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
I just ordered two of them. The free shipping pushed me over the edge...
Don't know what you're thinking once they arrive, but here's some of my thoughts:
  • As I said above the tubes are the weak link - you'll want to change them out for something better ASAP; that said, the Infinium circuitry is indeed self-biasing, but only to a point - I wouldn't go too radical in terms of re-biasing requirements (ultra-high/low headroom power tubes). I'm presently using the aforementioned set above from thetubestore.com - great bunch of people, very knowledgeable, and I'd recommend speaking with them one-to-one before you make the move...
  • Continuing on that train of thought, the V22 responds well to DIY tweaks: while I've got my first-gen version set up to duplicate the feel of a mid-60's "Key Club" blue-check Ampeg Gemini II/B-12XT (high-headroom power tubes - mine has manual bias - matched-triode preamp tubes, ultra-high-efficiency/extended range Eminence Swamp Thang speaker), by playing around with different tube brands/specs and speaker make/type/efficiency you can achieve a broad range of British and/or American tones - which allows for genre/gig-specific amp tuning, or some interesting options if you like running in stereo...
  • When (not if - voice of experience here ) you start modding, bear in mind that the pentode/triode switch not only attenuates power to home-friendly levels, but opens up a whole spectrum of new tones of its own (mostly of the pre-Top Boost Vox variety with my current setup - specific tube/speaker combinations will change that); while I'm a summa cum loudly graduate of the Hard Knocks Experiential School of Electric Guitar Tone (Class if 1966) - as a kid in the days before stompboxes I learned in the church-basement/schoolyard-dance/legion-hall trenches what works and what doesn't - I'd plan out beforehand where I want to go with one or both amps, as things can get both frustrating and expensive should you make the wrong purchases...
  • Finally, advice is nice (regardless of source), but you're the ultimate arbiter of what works best for you - choose and experiment wisely, and IME you'll have a rig that will provide you with pro-quality tone for a lifetime...
Use them well, often and LOUD...
Old 11-25-2021, 11:09 AM

Since this is, after all, the ACOUSTIC Guitar Forum, you should know that this amp with an acoustic guitar and a good magnetic pickup (mine's a Baggs M80) is a really good combo. IMO, mag pickups generally fare better with guitar amps than they do with "acoustic" amps or PA systems, and this one's especially good. So are Vox amps in general, FWIW.

Couch Standards
Old 11-25-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Since this is, after all, the ACOUSTIC Guitar Forum, you should know that this amp with an acoustic guitar and a good magnetic pickup (mine's a Baggs M80) is a really good combo. IMO, mag pickups generally fare better with guitar amps than they do with "acoustic" amps or PA systems, and this one's especially good. So are Vox amps in general, FWIW.
Interesting you mentioned this. My Vox Nighttrain 1x12 combo sounded great with my Yamaha AC3R.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars