The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-24-2021, 10:43 PM

Default Injury: a blessing in disguise?

Today I cut the index finger of my left hand. Just a minor cut of no consequence, except that I couldn't use that finger to fret notes. The blessing: I spent an hour or so this morning playing with three fingers. I have often played with my three strongest fingers and a slide on the little one, but playing with the three weaker fingers is more challenging.

Single-note work is easy enough but chords really put the muscles through the wringer - and the brain! What string can we leave out of this chord and still get a decent sound? Is there another way I could play this? Barre chords are hard! And some "easy" three-finger chords are either remarkably awkward or very stretchy. Not having your best finger is fantastic for muscle and coordination development ... and very frustrating after a while.

No matter: it should be fine by tomorrow, and my left-hand technique is that little bit better. (I do make a habit of practicing without one finger, once in a while when I remember and can be bothered, but a whole day of it is something else.)

What about the right hand? Well I often break a nail or break the artificial coating off a nail and have to fingerpick minus one finger for a day or two until it regrows or I can get down to see the nail lady. That makes for technique-improving practice too, especially if it's the index or middle finger missing.

What injuries have you had (hopefully temporary ones!) that led to you learning something new, or improving something weak in your technique?
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:02 AM

Yes: silver lining, lemonade from lemons, etc. A long time ago, I also cut my fretting-hand index finger. It was so bad that I couldn’t use the finger for a couple of weeks, but not playing during that time hurt even worse, so I fretted with my other fingers, which ended up being a very good thing for my little finger.

Nine days ago, I cut the tip off of my fretting-hand thumb as I was chopping a leek. I was putting my weight into it, and, although it was a bloody mess, the worst part was the sound and feel of it, which I’m only just starting to get out of my head. At the time, the wound was about the diameter of a garbanzo bean. No stitches required, but it still bleeds when I play, so I guess the only silver lining here is that I’m getting good at bandaging it with a small piece of paper towel bound with masking tape.

Gashes like that hurt a lot as they heal due to the flesh drying and tightening.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

I'd be playing a lot of songs in D!
Old 04-26-2021, 09:00 AM

About 15 years ago I had a motorcycle accident that very badly damaged my right hand. My pinky was a bit of a mess but they managed to rebuild it ok(ish).
I am right handed and used my pinky as the anchor for my picking hand. I had to learn to “float” my hand rather than anchor it. I have no idea how I played when pinky was anchored. Floating seems much more natural to me now. I seem to have no problems finding the correct string with the correct finger. Maybe I was doing it all wrong?
Old 04-27-2021, 04:24 AM

Two days later and I still can't play barre chords. Pesky little cut is in exactly the wroing place and I'm getting crabby and frustrated. This makes me realise how difficult life must be for those of us who have had *real* injuries - not just a tiddley little cut like mine. Respect for you guys.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:23 AM

I don't consider this a "real" injury, but I have gotten myself a tendosynovitis in the left hand and can't play guitar at all.

This has been going on for 2 weeks now and there is no sign of improvment. Next sad thing is that my other anti depressiva next to playing the guitar is riding motorcycle, which is not possible for me too.

I'm noticing how life drags me down when I cannot do what I love.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:30 AM

I cut my right index finger on a band saw really bad when I was about 24. Took 26 stitches inside and 18 on the outside. Piano is my main instrument and it took years for that finger to work even close to properly. Still can't bend it very tightly like the left one. Dull blade will get you more often than a sharp one, they say.
~Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write