The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-06-2020, 08:10 PM

The Loar LH 600 or LH 700 is as close your going to get to an old pre war Gibson acoustic archtop for small beans.

They’re basically 16” late 20’s to mid 30’s L5 or L4’s with parallel bracing and THE rhythm sound.

I wouldn’t think about putting a pickup on it. I use a noncut p90 Godin Kingpin for the old school electric jazz.

Don’t get me wrong, if I hit the jackpot I’m going vintage archtop shopping!
Old 11-06-2020, 10:30 PM

For those who might be interested:

https://www.archtop.com/ac_17_LH700_1120.html

- and for an additional touch of authenticity a period-accurate pickguard is available:

Old 12-29-2020, 08:34 AM

I'm just getting back into archtops after a 20 year detour in electric and flattop land. The L5 has as long as I've been around been the holy grail for clean jazz. I just picked up a Heritage 575 and I've gotta tell you, it's extremely pleasing and sounds amazing plugged in. I honestly am not missing anything with this instrument.

I'm not trying to compare it to an L5, just saying that it's a wonderful instrument that you might want to consider as an alternative. Most of us, regardless of how serious and committed to music we are, will not have the opportunity to own a legit L5.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:45 PM

IMG_9562.jpeg

Here's a relic my 94 year old Dad gave me last year. It's the guitar I learned on!
He "refinished" it, as you can tell!
Old 02-09-2021, 08:30 AM

Default 34 L7

How about a 34 L7??
Old 02-13-2021, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer tunes View Post
I'm just getting back into archtops after a 20 year detour in electric and flattop land. The L5 has as long as I've been around been the holy grail for clean jazz. I just picked up a Heritage 575 and I've gotta tell you, it's extremely pleasing and sounds amazing plugged in. I honestly am not missing anything with this instrument.

I'm not trying to compare it to an L5, just saying that it's a wonderful instrument that you might want to consider as an alternative. Most of us, regardless of how serious and committed to music we are, will not have the opportunity to own a legit L5.
This is a pretty nice video on the Heritage 575. Wow, I can see why you are happy with this guitar!

- Glenn
Old 02-20-2021, 06:17 AM

Default Benedetto

Get a Benedetto, they took the concept you are describing and fixed the problem without disrupting the nuances you described.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaton View Post
Get a Benedetto, they took the concept you are describing and fixed the problem without disrupting the nuances you described.
Bring a big wallet when you go look at the Benedetto.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops