The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-15-2020, 04:38 PM

Default Help identifying Hofner guitar

Hello I've had this guitar for a while now and it's been driving me crazy trying to figure out exactly what it is, so I joined this forum in hopes of learning a little bit more about it and putting a year & model to it! I've been playing guitar for a few years on a cheap Yamaha guitar and my grandfather very kindly gave me his as he doesn't play much anymore (it is a marked improvement haha). He got it second hand as a teenager in the 60s and doesn't remember a lot about its origins. I don't know a whole lot about vintage acoustic guitars, but I feel like I've looked everywhere I can't find anything matching it. The closest I saw was some sort of 450, but there were still differences (the colour or headstock looked different, there was a logo printed on the body, it didn't have a pickguard, etc).

There's one modification to it that I could see--the tuning machines had been replaced with what appeared to be Danelectro branded tuners, which I thought was... fascinating. I'm not sure if he got it like that or not. There's a faint imprint around where the old ones were and the old holes have been plugged with dowels. I couldn't see any other modifications on the surface.

Here are some pictures I took: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yJUBgN1N8t9tq2S59

I'd be glad to take more if that's needed. The back and sides of the body and the back of the neck and headstock have a little bit of flaming around the edges. The top appears to be plain.

I'll be embarrassed if this ends up being obvious or easy to find out and I just couldn't for some reason, lol... Thank you for any help!!!
Old 11-15-2020, 05:04 PM

Check out the Hofner Guitars Group on FB - those guys are hardcore, and they'll tell you things about your guitar they probably didn't even know at the factory...

Welcome to the Forum...
Old 11-15-2020, 06:02 PM

Thanks! I'll go take a look
Old 11-16-2020, 01:29 PM

1962 to 1964 Hofner Congress. A lot of them lost the Compensator tailstock, they had a tendency to crack and break where the string hole is. Maybe. Probably. In that era for sure, that's around when they got truss rods. My 1957 Senator doesn't have a truss rod. http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/vinta...ress/main.html
1946 Epiphone Zephyr electric archtop
1957 Hofner Senator archtop
1962 Gibson Melody Maker electric
1963 National Dynamic lap steel
1996 Landola jumbo
1998 Godin Artisan TC electric
1998 Epiphone SG electric
2010 GoldTone PBR-CA resonator
2015 Evans electric archtop
2016 Evans archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops