The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-17-2019, 07:32 AM

Another fantastic instrument, Mark! The fret markers came out exceptionally well!
Old 11-19-2019, 10:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffStGermaine View Post
Another fantastic instrument, Mark! The fret markers came out exceptionally well!
Thanks! It took more than one try to get those fret markers to work but it all worked out in the end.

I strung up the guitar last week with a dummy wood saddle, as I usually do and today I installed the real bone saddle, cut to height and intonated. With all of that curly figure on that Redwood top I was happy to see how little it all moved after almost a week under the initial string tension.
Sounds really good too!

Thanks for viewing,
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 11-19-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Everything

about that package resonates with me, the proportions and lines of the Piña - to my gusto the nicest Parlor design - no disrespect to others ... just my taste...
The woods, colors, patterns, the design details, the craftmanship and attention to detail.... hope we get to hear a sample!
Congrats to the lucky new owner and respect to the builder
Old 11-19-2019, 01:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
about that package resonates with me, the proportions and lines of the Piña - to my gusto the nicest Parlor design - no disrespect to others ... just my taste...
The woods, colors, patterns, the design details, the craftmanship and attention to detail.... hope we get to hear a sample!
Congrats to the lucky new owner and respect to the builder
Thanks Lonzo! It was a fun build

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 11-24-2019, 11:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Piña Sound Clip

Charlie was over yesterday to check out this latest parlor. We recorded a sound clip and this is the unedited recording. I hope it gives an idea on how big this little guitar sounds!

Mark

Old 11-24-2019, 11:49 AM

Sounds amazing! I can’t wait to get it in my hands!! Now, if only I played as well as Charlie!
Old 11-24-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Default I can tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
Sounds amazing! I can’t wait to get it in my hands!! Now, if only I played as well as Charlie!
..you will LOVE it... had a chance not long ago to get the Greta unlimited.. almost passed on it... but luckily I was wiser... Greta was to tempting... and am I ever glad I got it... stomach over brain... the best guitar I have...
and I am in a similar spot.. Charlie plays way better .. but that does not diminish the enjoyment and the fun... and a guitar like that begs you to grab it and play/practise.... ENJOY 🤪
Old 11-25-2019, 09:38 AM

After listening to this again with proper headphones, I am really astounded by the bass response and midrange depth for such a small guitar. The excitement level is high! I should have this in my hands by late next week.

S
Old 11-25-2019, 10:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default More Pictures

There were a number of new elements on this guitar that worked out nicely. I've already included some of them in the show guitars I am planning for next years' Woodstock event.

Here is another round of pictures:

Thanks!
Mark

Old 11-26-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

What a beautiful guitar Mark. Congratulations to you and StevieD63.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:29 AM

By the way, for those that have contemplated a custom luthier built guitar, let me point out one (of many) benefits of making it custom. If you examine the pictures closely, you'll notice there is a little bit of extra space between the high E string and the edge of the fretboard. One of the issues I consistently have is the high e string sometimes slipping off the edge of the fretboard when I fret it - probably a consequence of poor hand/wrist position (but I'm not likely to change). For example, I have a wonderful Taylor Limited Edition Koa that I love - but I consistently slip that high e string. I mentioned this to Mark, and he said "no problem, I can compensate for that". I'm sure everyone has other examples of the benefits of a custom guitar, but that's a little annoyance I won't have with this guitar.

S
Old 11-27-2019, 08:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Dragon's Breath

The Woodsman guitar got me really looking at traditional guitar making techniques, both in building and finishing guitars. In my explorations I found a magical powder: Dragon's Breath.
I say this because it seems to have a million uses. For guitar making it is just the right color when making a filler for spruce tops.

Dragon's Breath is also called Lycopodium powder and it comes from several species of Club Moss. Locally here in New Hampshire we have Lycopodium Obscurum. Here it is growing in the woods behind my house:

The powder is the spores from the strobilus of the plant which are the cat tail like structures on top:

When drying the powder comes right out:

This powder is made up of extremely round and small spores that move like a liquid inside a jar. It is easily airborne and in science is used as a way to show sound waves passing through air.
It is hydrophobic (repels water) so it is used to keep pills from sticking together as well as latex gloves etc. Actually, the list of uses goes on and on.

The spores are packed with high energy proteins which gives it the Dragon's Breath name. It is the magic powder a sorcerer uses to throw flame. It was used in photography as flash powder and is still used for stage effects.

So you know I had to try that out!

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 11-27-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
So you know I had to try that out!

There's always something interesting happening in Mr. Hatcher's Studio!
Old 11-27-2019, 02:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffStGermaine View Post
There's always something interesting happening in Mr. Hatcher's Studio!
Thanks. I do enjoy these exploratory adventures!

Old 11-28-2019, 07:45 AM

[/QUOTE]

I have to confess that I hope you don't use it with redwood!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop