The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-08-2023, 02:41 PM

Also, if you play seated with a strap AND the guitar isn't planted on your leg (mine is just maybe barely grazing it) your hands are set pretty much the same for sitting, standing or stool.

Couch Standards
Old 06-08-2023, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Also, if you play seated with a strap AND the guitar isn't planted on your leg (mine is just maybe barely grazing it) your hands are set pretty much the same for sitting, standing or stool.
That is a very helpful observation. I never play standing. So getting accostomed to the position of the guitar in the hands, while strapped, will help when I do,
David
Old 06-30-2023, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Duplicate please delete
Old 06-30-2023, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Low fret height can make position sense of fingertips more sketchy. A common fret height on acoustics is 0.043". Hopefully your fretwire is at least that high. I prefer around 0.047".
Light gauge strings a little more than medium gauge strings go sharp when pressed down farther behind the fret. That may give you a little more sense of where you are fretting.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-01-2023, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Low fret height can make position sense of fingertips more sketchy. A common fret height on acoustics is 0.043". Hopefully your fretwire is at least that high. I prefer around 0.047".
Light gauge strings a little more than medium gauge strings go sharp when pressed down farther behind the fret. That may give you a little more sense of where you are fretting.
Derek, OP here. I never give any thought to fret height - too much else to fret about. I assume you are referring the fret height revealed above the fingerboard. How does one measure that?
Cheers.
David
Old 07-01-2023, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Derek, OP here. I never give any thought to fret height - too much else to fret about. I assume you are referring the fret height revealed above the fingerboard. How does one measure that?
Cheers.
David
I can't think of anything you would have around the house to measure that. The guitar manufacturer would know. Better to compare those frets to some other guitars.
However fret height is just one thing to consider.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I assume you are referring the fret height revealed above the fingerboard. How does one measure that?
Cheers.
David
Lay a straight edge on the frets and measure the gap from the fretboard with a steel rule.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
Lay a straight edge on the frets and measure the gap from the fretboard with a steel rule.
Depends on how accurate you find acceptable.

Old 07-02-2023, 03:01 AM

Straight edge and feeler guages should do it.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That is a very helpful observation. I never play standing. So getting accostomed to the position of the guitar in the hands, while strapped, will help when I do,
David
David, Since I've been teaching via zoom, I have noticed that many people need help and advice on posture and positioning.

It is natural to grip the neck when unsureabout fretting, but it has to be mastered by building subtle but important adjustment of hand/wrist positioning.

My ethos is now "least energy, maximum effect".

Maybe I could help you?
Old 07-02-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
It is natural to grip the neck when unsureabout fretting, but it has to be mastered by building subtle but important adjustment of hand/wrist positioning.
The above is important. Once understood, you can play with much more ease; play positions that once seemed impossible become totally (and with ease) possible. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...9&postcount=55.

Also, if you play with a strap, you can have the guitar in a more ergo position. The strap gives you more freedom to position the guitar (i.e. you'll more more range of positions that form a superset of your old range). I play very differently when standing, I find that I angle my guitar neck up more (more like a classical guitar playing position); but everybody's different, you may find another position that you like; the point is that the strap gives you choice.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cheers.
David
Simple: Use the little depth gauge stick that comes out of the bottom of a vernier caliper - its exactly the sort of job the instrument is designed to do.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Friends, I would appreciate some advise that I would pass on to my left hand. I am now four years in, and all in. But my fingers are 67 years old, and, I admit, stiff from a bit of arthritis. Some days, I find my playing sessions limited in time because of it. So, I focued my attention on whether technique may be exacerbating the fatigue.

I discovered two potential factors. First of all, my finger placement is unstrategic (aka sloppy). Unless I have actively directed my attention to it, I tend to place the fingertip in the bottom quarter of the fretbox. Sometimes I am better than that and park it closer to the wire, or touch it. But when I am not, I suspect that I am subcosciously pressing harder to compensate for the distance. I know when I fail when I hear a teltale buzz, which is embarassingly too often.

Overall, I feel that I am applying an inordinate and unnecesary amount of string pressure, even when I get the placement right. I say that because, again, when I bring it to my attention, I can unload the string some, without losing the pitch. I just need to imbed that into my brain somehow.

Some of you kind people might suggest string or setup adjustment.I consider my guitar very well situated in that respect. I use D'Addario 12-53 lights. And my guitar was recently set up by Matt Arcara, who tuned it beautifully, with spot on intonation up the neck. I do not wish to go to lighter strings to enable a technique issue that can be addressed.

Thanks for any advise for the removal of the death grip that I apparently have - which only worsens when I get a tad anxious playing out. And for ways to automatically plant my finger behind the wire.

David

David
David,

Four years really isn't very long to get to grips (sorry!) with all the subtle and intricate movements required when playing guitar. Think about playing guitar like playing a sport - say a golf swing - think about how long it takes to get the "simple" act of hitting a stationary ball with a club sussed. And how often that seemingly basic skill goes wrong even for professional golfers.

The important aspect for the moment is that you have noticed where you are going wrong. So each time you notice it going forward you can make a little correction, and gradually you will get better and better at being subtle and your playing will feel much easier.

I really don't think that there is going to be a quick fix for this, more of a longer term learned fix. We are all gradually aiming to do something physically different when we play today than we did when we played yesterday - probably without noticing. The concept behind practice is to do something physically different by the end of the session that you weren't doing at the start. If your hands are doing exactly the same thing day after day then there would be no improvement in your playing!!!!

So try different things out - very subtle changes in hand position and movements will make a BIG difference. Keep analysing what you are doing, and keep trying out small changes. Your vicegrip is quite possibly happening because you are stuck in a position. Keep making those small adjustments and you'll solve this yourself.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 07-03-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I have a death grip when playing with the guitar on my right leg. I solver it by switching to a more classical style. Instantly my hand position and grip changed.

I'm been playing for 3 years and I also have the death grip. LOL I've switched back and forth, right to left for my steel string acoustic guitar, but I'm back to the left knee. I also play the classic guitar and harp guitar, and I play both on the knee. I'm still in a quandary with a guitar support. I use a adjustable foot rest, but something like from Sagework may be better especially when you are playing at open mic and trying not trying to bring to much on stage with you.https://sagework.org/

My single instructor says I should stand for the best singing posture. I agree, but I'm more comfortable sitting.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 07-03-2023, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

On fret crown height basically you don't want have a string contact the fretboard when fretting a string. If it does either you are pressing too hard and/or to far behind the fret and/or the fret height is too low.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write