The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Started guitar about 17 but had played other instruments before that, including banjo and piano. I took classical guitar lessons from a concert guitarist for a few years and played fingerstyle pieces on the side. I probably peaked around that point in technical ability. After a long period of not playing any music I took up fingerstyle again, bought myself a couple of nice flattop guitars, and am attempting to write up a collection of my own pieces. I consider myself advanced in fingerstyle and classical guitar. I have not developed any special ability in electric lead style and jazz styles. A simple but pretty song of mine is posted on the Collings forum at:
http://www.collingsforum.com/mp3/fil...yBlanchard.mp3
Old 01-23-2005, 03:02 PM

Smile

I was 10 yrs old in 1969 whan I started....

The Guitars:

2005 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion 3

@ STOLEN @ 1980 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion - Serial # 83010043
@ STOLEN @ 2002 814ce LTD - Serial # 20020930110

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

http://bobbyfromnc.blogspot.com/

John 3.16
Old 01-23-2005, 07:18 PM

I started playing air guitar to Frampton's "Show me The Way" and Kiss Alive at 10 years old. I think I do o.k., I always believe there's room to grow, if not improve. Recently, I've been inspired to re-commit to playing after Dimebag Darrell passed away.
Take care, Michael
Old 01-23-2005, 07:42 PM

30! i feel old...
it's only been a year- how long until i can play blackbird? (jk)
Old 01-24-2005, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask
30! i feel old...
it's only been a year- how long until i can play blackbird? (jk)
YOU feel old? I started playing when I was 10 - That was 40 years ago!
Old 01-24-2005, 07:30 AM

I was 42, almost a year ago. Slow process trying to get my MIND out of the music.
But its a great time.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:34 AM

I was 15, now I'm 35. I rock

--chiba
Old 01-24-2005, 10:17 AM

I was 14 when I first started playing, in search of becoming a metal/rocker - now I'm 31 and happy playing fingerstyle. I've been playing fingerstyle now for a year and a half and I feel like I am progressing very well.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:28 AM

I was 28 when I picked up the guitar.......

I got a bass (guitar, not fish) for my 15th birthday. I played in bands off and on until I was about 25. i never played guitar while in the bands. I could recognized some chord shapes when the guitar players would play them, but I never played the instrument.

My parents were cleaning out closets preparing to move. My father found a guitar that had been sitting in the back of the closet for about 10 years. He asked me if I wanted it. The rest is history. Never has a free instrument cost me so much money!!!!!

David
Old 01-24-2005, 10:47 AM

Started playing at 32 when my wife and I were expecting our first son. I played percussion and drumset from the age of 10 or 11. I was a picky music lover who thought I'd exhausted all my sources of music listening...and decided to be a participant again. During my wife's pregnancy, I realized that my get-out-and-party-with-live-music sensibility might not be the most compatible with a marriage/family involving a newborn. I needed something to quench my musical thirst without having to leave the hearth and be at-the-ready to help raise children. Enter the acoustic guitar. Sage advice. Picking up the guitar is one of the best decisions I've ever made.

My playing is below average. I started out as a three-chords-and-the-truth kinda guy. I'm just now, after 5 years, nailing the barre chords well and playing up the neck. That's ok. Even though I suck, my kids still like my take on "Wheels on the Bus" just fine! Actually, I'm thankful that they've moved on to prefer "Wooly Bully" now. And, my neighbors don't seem to mind the few handfuls of tunes I know. And, hey, as long as I can hang around and play a decent Neil Young tune, I'm a happy camper. I'm hoping to start writing a song or two of my own here. I think "Songwriter/Retired" might look pretty good on my tax form in about 15-20 years.
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes
Old 01-24-2005, 05:27 PM

I first started playing when I was 12, this lasted a few years then my guitar went into the closet for 30 years. 3 years ago my wife and I were moving and she asked if she could get rid of my old electric guitar. It was in pretty bad shape so I said yes. She sold it for $15.00 at a garage sale. The minute it left I regretted selling it. So I went out found a new acoustic, started taking lessons again and now I'm playing every day, lesson twice a month and 3 (new) guitars in the house. And I'd say I'm coming along. My teacher is pushing me to play out open mics and such. I'm not sure I quite ready for that, we'll see.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:33 PM

Came home in 1972, wearing olive drab and 70% disabled. Had the blues in a big way. Went to LA, CA and bought a "Yamaki Custom" that now belongs to my daugher. I no longer have the blues, but have instead evolved into jazz.

I enjoy playing and it gives me great solace/inspiration to just sit and play for nobody but myself and the dog. I have been told by family members that I am good, but I think they just want me to take them out for a good time!

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 01-26-2005, 08:00 AM

At 7 years old I got a cheap acoustic and my parents took me to few lessons. Then we moved and I didn't pick up the guitar again until I was 15. Got into it then and have been playing ever since.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:17 AM

at 22. And I'm a week short of 31 now. Bought my first acoustic steel stringer today! Before only owned classical guitars and electrics.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:14 AM

15--junior year in HS, got a crappy Japanese $25 nylon-string for my birthday. I'd say I'm adequate as a solo instrumentalist (on guitar, that is-- darn good on mt. dulcimer), but pretty good as an accompanist for my own singing, as lead guitar in my duo or on rhythm guitar in a band. (Haven't played bass since I grew longer right hand nails).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Regala
17, Freshman in College back in 1996. I'm better than I was back then, but I'm still meh.
Ah, a regional distinction. In NYC where I grew up, the proper sign of indifference was "ehh" (short "e"), accompanied with a horizontal wiggle of the hand. Outright disdain was "feh."

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell