The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-16-2021, 06:05 AM

Exclamation Noise when playing acoustic with amplifier

Hi.

I'm new to this amplifier game. When I play with my electric guitar on my "Orange Mini Crush" amplifier, I only hear the noise when I'm not touching the strings, which is totally fine with me.

But if I play with my "Fender CD-60SCE Nat WN" and the amplifier, I hear a constant noise, even if I touch the strings and play.

Any idea why this is? Or a fix?

From my understanding the guitar makes the difference. Idk if there is a difference between acoustic and electric guitar pick ups...

EDIT: I've forgot to tell you that when I had my acoustic connected to my pc via an audio interface, there wasnt any noise in the recording.

Thank you in advance
Old 03-16-2021, 08:32 AM

What kind of noise? Is it a hum or static or ???

If it comes through the amp but not the PC interface, that indicates the amp. Have you plugged it in to a different power circuit, maybe in a different room, to test for any change?

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 03-16-2021, 09:54 AM

You need to ground the amp. It's 9 volt power supply has common mode noise which you get acceptably close to grounding with your electric by touching the strings. The strings on the acoustic are not grounded. Almost all 9v volt adapters have this problem.

Regrettably, there is no super easy way of achieving this ground with that amp. Some small amps, like a Katana Mini, have a ground lug on the back of the cabinet for this exact problem.

You will also find many guitar amps with external wall warts come with bulky power supplies with a grounded AC plug and might have wondered why...well now you know.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-16-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
You need to ground the amp. It's 9 volt power supply has common mode noise which you get acceptably close to grounding with your electric by touching the strings. The strings on the acoustic are not grounded. Almost all 9v volt adapters have this problem.

Regrettably, there is no super easy way of achieving this ground with that amp. Some small amps, like a Katana Mini, have a ground lug on the back of the cabinet for this exact problem.

You will also find many guitar amps with external wall warts come with bulky power supplies with a grounded AC plug and might have wondered why...well now you know.
Thank you for explanation.

Can you recommend a basic amp which I can use with electric and acoustic without problem?

With basic I mean standard
Old 03-16-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timschalom View Post
Thank you for explanation.

Can you recommend a basic amp which I can use with electric and acoustic without problem?

With basic I mean standard
Anything with a three prong power plug.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, amplifier, electric, noise, problem