The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-29-2020, 03:10 PM

Unhappy Changed strings on my J-45 and now whole low-E buzzes

Here's the story:
I inherited a 1969-1975 Gibson J-45 Deluxe from my wife's grandfather. Yup. Lucky me. It's seen better days but it sounds fantastic!

But it hadn't been played in at least 8 years, when he passed away, and I got it after wife's gram passed away a month ago. So I'll give credit that the Martin strings (10s) were still holding up after almost a decade in the case (most still in tune!) but definitely time for a change. At this point there was zero buzzing.

The only things I did were to use a bit of fret polish to shine up the frets, let some Dunlop 65 lemon oil soak in, new bridge pins (the bottoms of the old ones were gnarled) and put some new Earthwood Phosphor Bronze 10s on.

High-E to A sound great! But the Low-E buzzes everywhere to the 18th fret. I think it might need a new saddle, but I literally didn't do anything to change the height of anything and used the same gauge strings, so I don't get why suddenly the buzzing?

The second thing is that I have no idea what kind of saddle whoever had it before him is using, or why they changed it. It's kind of hard to tell, but it looks like someone filled in the slot so it would fit this bone saddle that, looking down on it looks, like a toothpick and is rounded to match the 12" radius. It doesn't look like anything I can find an image of. But, again, with the old 10s it was sounding perfect with nary a buzz to be found, and now the whole string buzzes all the way from Open-E up to the 18th fret.
I'm thinking the saddle might have something to do with the buzz, but again, I didn't mess with it, and it must have been working just fine before.
I can't find one that remotely looks like it anywhere.

I did eventually try giving the TR half a turn but with zero effect.

So that's my dilemma. I really want to get back to playing this, but I can't afford to be sending this to be repaired.
Any help & ideas is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by TribalGuitars; 06-29-2020 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Spelling and readibility
Old 06-29-2020, 03:53 PM

This sort of buzz can be really annoying to track down. What immediately comes to mind for me is that the low E string in the Martin set might have a heavier gauge core wire than the Earthwoods have. That could account for the buzz you're getting, if the Earthwood low E is generating lower tension.

The simplest way to check for that would be to try some slightly heavier low E strings, and using ever-heavier low E's until you find one that eliminates the buzz.

Give that a try and see whether it helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-29-2020, 04:15 PM

Did you try removing that E string entirely and reseating it?
Sometimes the string ball end doesn't set properly below the bridge and next to the bridge pin and that can cause buzzing on any string.

Try replacing the previous string if you haven't tossed them yet and also make sure all of your string ball ends are seated snugly.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:23 PM

Good advice.

whm
Old 06-29-2020, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

This has happened to me before with Elixir strings. Switched to them and started picking up a buzz on the g string on higher frets.

Solution: changed strings to something different, no buzz.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Is it possible that the new low E is a slightly narrower gauge so that it sits lower in the nut groove?
Old 06-29-2020, 05:34 PM

A loose screw on a tuner can cause a pretty terrible buzz.
I'd make sure they're all snug but it sounds like you're talking about fret buzz which a loose screw wouldn't cause.

I'd try Wades advice and try a heavier E string.

If that doesn't work I'd try a lighter E string. A smaller diameter string is less likely to be hitting frets.

What do the string slots on the nut look like

Are there deep string grooves in the saddle
Old 06-29-2020, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

all the other replies are exactly what I would do and see if anything changes. If you still have the old low E string, put it back in the bridge hole and lay it across the fretboard and pull snug-try to rotate it slightly and see if there are any flatspots, this will be a small flat area on the string and maybe hard to see. I have had it happen, with old strings on old guitars, a similar thing you describe. after going thru all the other steps, I noticed where a flat spot had been worn due to a high sitting fret every so slightly, it allowed that string to ring clear, but when a new string had been replaced and the diameter was new and round, that string contacted the high fret and created buzz. I found a few other high frets, some needed reseating, some needed leveling. after that was complete and a new nut, everything was fine.

there's so many things to check, these old guitars can have all kinds of secrets-lol. if all the above advice from everybody does not fix the glitch, reach inside, use a mirror, feel around, check braces, check tuner tightness, most definitely check fret level, nut slots, you need to give it the full monty.

good luck
d
Old 06-29-2020, 05:49 PM

Also, I remember reading somewhere that when strings age they can oxidize (or something) and can gain more tension over time just sitting in the case.
If 8 years is long enough for this to happen the same gauge strings you put on could have less tension than the old ones which could affect the relief in the neck.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

First thing I thought of is that 10's are REALLY wimpy strings to have on that guitar! It was made to have 12's or 13's on it...

Without pictures I can't tell for sure, but, I'm fairly certain that a J-45 of that vintage would have the adjustable saddle arrangement that Gibson started using in the late 50's/early 60's? A common "fix" for that funky screwed down saddle was to remove it, fill the old slot and cut a new slot for the saddle. If someone did this to that guitar, they might not have done a great job with it...

If changing the string doesn't help (and even if it does), a trip to a good tech for a set-up and general "health" inspection is in order... and seriously, 10's???
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-29-2020, 09:01 PM

I'll echo the possibility of the ball end not being properly seated causing your buzzing.

It could also be a number of other things.

frets.com has a buzz diagnosis guide of sorts: http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/...buzzintro.html
Old 06-29-2020, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

How do you know Martin 10s were on it - some old string wrappers?

FWIW I would not put extra light strings (Martin 10s) on anything let alone a great big guitar like the J-45.

Lower tension strings would reduce neck relief and they would vibrate in a bigger arc for a given volume.

A drier humidity environment than where the guitar was kept before would drop the string height a bit.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-29-2020, 10:25 PM

Default J-45 Buzzing

1. Take a mirror and look inside to see if the strings are properly seated against
the bridge pins. If not you will get buzzing.

2. If you still have the old strings compare them next to the new strings to see
if they are the same gauge. If they are lighter gauge you will be putting less
tension on the neck and the neck will bow backwards causing buzzing.
3. Press the srings down at the first fret and the last fret (highest), then look to
see if there is a gap at the 5th to 7th fret. if there is no gap then the neck is
bowing backwards. The lighter strings you put on have less tension than
medium gauge and are causing the truss rod to pull the neck back, which
causes the back bowing.
4. All those years unattended the guitar may have dried out and either cracked
somewhere or a brace or braces came loose.
5. Light gauge strings can rattle in the nut slots if the slots are to wide for the
string gauge your presently using.
When the guitar was made it probably was set up for medium gauge strings.

I would take it to a good luthier who works on acoustic guitars and have him
check it for problems. He could probably tell you in less than 5 minutes what
is going on with the guitar and give you an estimate on what it would cost to
fix it. If something is wrong, having the guitar strung up could cause a great
deal more damage and tear the guitar apart.

Light gauge strings on a Gibson acoustic start with a .12 for the high E
string. A .10 gauge high E is what you put on a solid body electric guitar.

It sounds like you really need to have the bridge saddle replaced among
other things that could need repair.

Good Luck, it can be properly repair by the right repairman.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_picker View Post

Light gauge strings on a Gibson acoustic start with a .12 for the high E
string. A .10 gauge high E is what you put on a solid body electric guitar.
Believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there using .10s on dreadnoughts. I read about people in facebook guitar groups all the time using that gauge on Martin dreads or Gibson jumbos. I don't get it either. I think it usually has to do with poor setup and a guitar that badly needs a setup.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

I know a lot of people use 10's on an acoustic guitar and I've actually tried a few sets myself, but you do have to admit that 10's are pretty uncommon in the acoustic guitar world. My first guess is that this guitar had standard lights installed which are 12's and when the OP installed a new set of 10's on the guitar the lower string tension caused the buzzing to begin. A simple tweak of the truss rod should stop the buzzing and make the guitar happy with 10's. Or switch to 12's.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
gibson acoustic, j-45 deluxe, string buzz