The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 07:37 AM

The answer to whether their QC will get better is "time will tell". When a company goes bankrupt, there are a lot of things that need fixing and they can't do them all at once.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I was tongue in cheek... sorry for the snark. Same tools in Bozeman. Same employees in Bozeman. The fabulous Don Ruffatto still at Bozeman. Same great folks making great guitars ....
I guess I took your comments seriously because this often IS the way corporate America responds.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:53 AM

I cannot speak for the environment at Gibson, but I bought a guitar manufactured there in June and it is everything I could hope for in a guitar and then some.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 11-15-2018, 08:15 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
My J45 is a 2018 that was actually built in late 2017.
It sounds, looks and plays fantastic.
"That's all I have to say about that."
Yep...same here. My 2018 J-45 is the fourth Bozeman acoustics I’ve bought in the last few years...a J-15, a Songwriter Studio Deluxe and a 2016 J-45s (which I stupidly sold, thus the new one). All have been superb instruments with no QC issues. I buy all my Gibsons from Music Villa, the 5-star dealer located just a couple miles from the mothership. Maybe that makes a difference, maybe it doesn’t. Works for me.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:17 AM

The whole Gibson quality control thing has taken on a life of its own. I also believe it is often a I head it from somebody who heard it from yet somebody else thing. I have played more Bozeman-built guitars than I can recall. Never noticed anything that I would describe as poorly built. I do not own a newer guitar but that is simply because I prefer Old School Gibson Tone to New School Gibson Tone.

Gibson survived for decades without a "Master Luthier." The guy who literally built the first Hummingbird was the head of the repair department or whomever made the decisions about what models would sell. What they did not survive as well were the marketing team. I have always scratched my head at the sheer number of limited edition guitars Gibson offers as well as variations of stock instruments. Maybe I just miss the day when you walked into a music shop and you had three choices if you wanted a slope shoulder guitar - a J-45, J-50 or SJ. Yeah, some neck and finish options would be great but do we really need 90+ variations of the J-45 in any given year. The mind wobbles.

But always remember, the new CEO is the guy who wanted to convince us to switch from Levis to Yoga Pants. A whole new crop of slim line Gibsons could be in our future.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I have always scratched my head at the sheer number of limited edition guitars Gibson offers as well as variations of stock instruments. Maybe I just miss the day when you walked into a music shop and you had three choices if you wanted a slope shoulder guitar - a J-45, J-50 or SJ. Yeah, some neck and finish options would be great but do we really need 90+ variations of the J-45 in any given year. The mind wobbles.
While we're at it, do we really need "V" Bracing and "Re-Imagined?"
Something else to scratch your head about and wobble the mind.
Just sayin'

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-15-2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Same great folks making great guitars ....
Good to hear. Love my Bozeman Gibsons . . .

Quote:
. . . A whole new crop of slim line Gibsons could be in our future.
including the slim ones.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
The whole Gibson quality control thing has taken on a life of its own. I also believe it is often a I head it from somebody who heard it from yet somebody else thing. I have played more Bozeman-built guitars than I can recall. Never noticed anything that I would describe as poorly built. I do not own a newer guitar but that is simply because I prefer Old School Gibson Tone to New School Gibson Tone.

Gibson survived for decades without a "Master Luthier." The guy who literally built the first Hummingbird was the head of the repair department or whomever made the decisions about what models would sell. What they did not survive as well were the marketing team. I have always scratched my head at the sheer number of limited edition guitars Gibson offers as well as variations of stock instruments. Maybe I just miss the day when you walked into a music shop and you had three choices if you wanted a slope shoulder guitar - a J-45, J-50 or SJ. Yeah, some neck and finish options would be great but do we really need 90+ variations of the J-45 in any given year. The mind wobbles.

But always remember, the new CEO is the guy who wanted to convince us to switch from Levis to Yoga Pants. A whole new crop of slim line Gibsons could be in our future.
That kind of marketing turns me off. For that reason alone, I just don't bother with Gibson. They have got to be the most confusing company to pick a guitar from.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:03 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Gibson lost most all of their experienced managers and luthiers. The employees that are left are mostly factory workers. This is true in management and the floor. They will have to rebuild this part of it and it will take time. It won't come back as it was or what it was trying to be. Dropping questionable product focusing on set ups is a first step. But it would be a good first step. Lighter bracing, thinner tops and thinner finish would be a home run.
I think we would all appreciate if you could elaborate on this further, since you are not backing this up. Did you have a friend who is involved in Gibson leadership whom you heard this info from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
Why do you suggest their QC is an issue ?

It is just what you heard or do you have first hand experience and actual evidence with Gibson acoustic ?

Im asking, even though Ive not bought a Gibson acoustic for some time (have more than enough) I do venture to the shops, take them for a run, and just dont see any significant QC issues.
Well, this is certainly what I have experienced myself, of course. I am not the only one suggesting/questioning their quality control, which you will know if you have played, heard and watched enough Gibson. Wow... Maybe some people really cannot notice the sound differences. Good for them, since they do not have to go through a dreadful journey of finding the guitar that sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I would maintain that the positive change must have happened sooner than the moment the new team was announced. I bought a Les Paul that was produced in June (after the bankruptcy) and its quality and fit and finish are superb. Bob
That is what I really am glad to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
When you were talking to the GC employee, did you happen to mention you were interested in a Gibson?
I did mention that I am looking for a new Gibson acoustic. Of course this entails that he was just trying to sell me a guitar, but then he did assured me that he will let me try new guitars until I am satisfied with the quality and the sound.

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-15-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
That kind of marketing turns me off. For that reason alone, I just don't bother with Gibson. They have got to be the most confusing company to pick a guitar from.
Yeah same. But that changed starting from 2019. Their lineup of new models are not confusing, just sticking with the stables. For example, they are making only standard and custom models for J-45.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:06 AM

Just picked up a used 2016 J-45. Quality seems excellent, plus it's has the most comfortable neck profile and action of any guitar I've owned recently.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

The question about future quality is impossible to answer as we don't even know for sure that Gibson will continue to make acoustics in Bozeman. With this kind of acquisition everything is on the table. I am a fan of Gibson acoustics and would be happy if the quality of their new guitars remains as is.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 AM

I own six Gibson acoustics and think the quality of them are great- I wouldn't own them otherwise. I also own another ten or so electrics, and have owned probably another dozen more that I sold for whatever reason. They were all good guitars.

The whole "Gibson quality control" thing is just an internet wives' tale. It's not a real thing.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:22 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangil210 View Post
Maybe some people really cannot notice the sound differences. Good for them, since they do not have to go through a dreadful journey of finding the guitar that sounds good. They just get what they get, since all they wanted was a cool "Gibson J-45" from the start.
So let me understand your statement above. Anyone who doesn’t agree with your viewpoint on Gibson acoustics (having sound differences for the same model) is only buying on brand name only?

Last edited by SprintBob; 11-15-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Be Nice rule.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
I didn't have any confusion looking for a J45 Standard. I just walked right in and there it was, labeled and everything.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of Martin?
Just kidding but I guess I don't understand what you mean.

Addendum: I'm sure the folks at Eastman are pretty happy it's Gibson's turn In the barrel. Sheesh.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson, gibson acoustic, gibson acoustic guitar