The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanleyJ View Post
<snip>

I used to have a D-28 once before I got married and it was a nice guitar. I'm just not a big fan of the Martin tone so much. They still make great guitars, just haven't found one that really jumps out at me.

The nut on the Eastman really does not bother me. I actually like that as it adds to the play-ability for me. I try to play a variety of styles and I can easily play about anything on the Eastman that I want. I've noticed that most of the Pono videos are using a drop D or DADGAD tuning which give any guitar a much more deep tonal quality. I haven't heard too many Pono's in standard tuning but I can still decipher how great they sound from the videos. And especially with the return policy they have, it's really hard not to give them a lot of consideration.

Thanks so far for the responses everyone. But the opinions seem to be pretty split down the middle. We'll see how the search goes.
I totally understand. Everyone doesn't prefer the tone of Martin, Gibson or Taylor. Eastman has their own kind of thing going on in the tone department. If it spoke to you, you should get one because as you already know - not all guitars will.

I cannot speak to what the Pono "tone" is, as I haven't played one.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-14-2016, 11:55 AM

Buy whatever floats your boat and don't worry about what other people may say. You are lucky that Eastmans and Ponos are what you prefer as they are relatively inexpensive though you are getting what you are paying for. Be glad that you do not like the sound of Martins and Collings and Goodmans, and Larrivees, and Taylors, and other higher end guitars as they cost much more - though again you are getting what you are paying for in those as well.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 03-14-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Buy whatever floats your boat and don't worry about what other people may say. You are lucky that Eastmans and Ponos are what you prefer as they are relatively inexpensive though you are getting what you are paying for. Be glad that you do not like the sound of Martins and Collings and Goodmans, and Larrivees, and Taylors, and other higher end guitars as they cost much more - though again you are getting what you are paying for in those as well.
The OP can get a fine Larrivee, brand new for a street price under $1500. I think my D-40R was $1425 or something like that. There are other models at the same, or similar price point.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 03-14-2016, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Eastman / Pono

My $.02 -
I have found both the Eastman and the Pono to be very well built guitars. as well, the tone from each is excellent.
I personally prefer the Pono over the Eastman: The sustain is far better; the note clarity is excellent; the string spacing is better for finger pickers; sonic package is more 'full' (I think because of the smoother bass response); the feel is more comfortable.
Lastly, the customer service from John @ Pono is unparalleled! He even answers the phone when you call! Beat that!!
Hope this helps!
Old 03-15-2016, 08:57 PM

Jim - I actually have a great love of Huss & Dalton DS guitars, too. It's just too hard for me to justify the cost if I'm not making money playing such a fine instrument.
Lack Focus - I have played Larrivee's some time back but have not been able to locate any locally since the store that carried them shut down. They do make a fine guitar for the price.
Kapuna50 - Your $.02 is very compelling. Nice description of the Pono sound matching what I imagined it to be. I may have to take the Pono plunge or I may regret never knowing for sure what I was missing even though the Eastman was the only guitar I've tried out of many that I've sampled lately that really spoke to me. Maybe I'll sell my '68 335 and buy both.......maybe.......maybe not.....I am torn for sure.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 03-15-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I vote for getting a D-18. Martins are the gold standard of guitars.
But he said he is not a fan of the Martin sound. Seems poor advice, given that.

DanleyJ,

It's about this 335 of which you spoke......

As if I could pay you what you would probably want !
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 03-16-2016, 06:10 AM

I played an E20 yesterday and it sounded incredible, I didn't expect it. Don't let the naysayers discourage you if you find one that lights up in your hands grab it. I for one am conviced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eastman, pono