The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Both. If you want to keep changing the saddle hight - fine, but really a bad idea on an acustic.

I had a J50 with one back nth '60s/'70s. I could barely get it louder than a whisper.
I think I might have had one on an old SJ200 too - can't remember.

Nasty!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:33 PM

After explaining that he'd broken off one of the adjustment screws in his adjustable bridge saddle, Namrok asked what might be the best way to proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namrok View Post
Other option was to remove current bridge, reglue without bolts, etc, with the rosewood/insert.
Guess I'm asking for opinions on either option, and ideas where I could find a replacement adjustment screw (assuming I can extract broken one and make functional agin....
Namrok, here's a quote from Frank Ford, who's one of the most experienced and respected guitar repairmen in the US, and a link to the page on his website:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth.../hbirdbr1.html

"OK, here's where I get into trouble, but I just can't resist saying that this Gibson Hummingbird has a bad bridge:

˙˙˙

"It's bad because it's adjustable and the extra mass of the adjusting hardware impedes vibration. It's bad because it was never well glued to the top. It's bad because it has bolts right in line with the bridge pins, and that increases the likelihood of a crack forming through this vulnerable area.

"It's bad because the line of bridge pins is right at the back edge where all the stress of the string tension is concentrated, and there's such a tiny margin of wood behind the pins it can barely hold on to the top.

"And finally, it's bad because it has a ceramic saddle which weighs enough to be an effective mute all by itself.

"Now, I feel better. . .

"After all that, I must say that these are only my opinions, and I have no argument with anyone who likes the sound of a guitar with this bridge on it. "

Here are some photos Frank took of himself weighing the various components of the Gibson adjustable bridge versus the components of a traditional acoustic guitar bridge:

Weight = 65 grams

Weight = 23.3 grams

There are some folks who really the like the sound of the ceramic saddle (although NOBODY seems to like the sound of the cheaper version with the rosewood saddle.) But when given the chance to hear a before and after comparison, most players express a strong preference for the lighter weight traditional non-adjustable bridge and saddle.

In your position, I would definitely opt for replacing the adjustable saddle with the traditional style, for the reasons mentioned above. Don't bother with the rosewood saddle insert, get a bone saddle intonated to the guitar with a traditional Gibson-style reverse belly bridge of the non-adjustable variety.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-21-2019, 02:38 PM

When I suggested that you get "a traditional Gibson-style reverse belly bridge," this is what I was talking about:

Gibson reverse belly bridge

whm
Old 03-21-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Wade,

Many thanks! Any recs on where to get a Gibson reverse belly bridge? StewMac?

Best, Dave
McPherson Touring
Loar LM-500 mandolin
Fender Performer Tele
Various Basses
Old 03-21-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namrok View Post
Wade,

Many thanks! Any recs on where to get a Gibson reverse belly bridge? StewMac?
Any competent guitar repair tech should be able to fabricate one from a rosewood bridge blank, but StewMac might have them, as might any number of other online retailers.

whm
Old 03-21-2019, 04:31 PM

I've had my early 70's model J-45 for about 20 years, having traded a Gospel model I had that needed a broken headstock repaired. Rather than deal with getting the Gospel repaired, I decided to take the store owner's offer to trade him for the J-45. Seemed like a fair enough deal at the time, and I was happy.

20 years later, I get a Martin D-15 custom, my first ever Martin, and I realize the Gibson is very lacking in it's projection and tone. Someone recommended I take it to a luthier and see about getting the floating bridge replaced with a solid one. I did so, to find out that in addition to the floating bridge, which the luthier said would be advised to replace as the posts act like lightning rods and attract the vibrations away from the top, thus sucking away the tone, it also needed the bridge repaired as it was starting to pull up and had slightly warped the top. He made the necessary repairs and the sound was 200% improved. The Martin still has a boomier tone, more robust base, but the Gibson has much improved tone than before and a certain "twang" that I love, especially when plucking the base strings hard with my thumb. It didn't project that sound nearly as much before the repair, now its all I ever want to do is thump those base strings and belt out some country picking every time I pick it up. I went from thinking I'd see if I could sell it and get something I liked, to it being a guitar I'll never part with.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:35 PM

Default 1960's Gibson Adjustable Bridge J-45 Reissue

I have two Gibson J-45's both Custom Shop Models one is the 60's adjustable saddle reissue model gloss black and a beauty. It has a wider nut 1.77" and a chunky but not to chunky neck. Very comfortable to play, light as a feather, no pickup. I like it enough to buy another and make a 12 string out of it. It's very versatile and can handle drop tuning well. The other J45 also a custom shop model has the standard neck and 1.725 nut and standard belly up bridge. Beautiful in every way and comes with piezo pickup. still it's heavier and along with the narrower neck doesn't allow for the meat of my fretting hand to sit properly for finger style so it's a better strummer. both fine guitars. More volume/sound from the 60's ADJ. with a thicker neck and very light body.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I have two Gibson J-45's both Custom Shop Models one is the 60's adjustable saddle reissue model gloss black and a beauty. It has a wider nut 1.77" and a chunky but not to chunky neck. Very comfortable to play, light as a feather, no pickup. I like it enough to buy another and make a 12 string out of it. It's very versatile and can handle drop tuning well. The other J45 also a custom shop model has the standard neck and 1.725 nut and standard belly up bridge. Beautiful in every way and comes with piezo pickup. still it's heavier and along with the narrower neck doesn't allow for the meat of my fretting hand to sit properly for finger style so it's a better strummer. both fine guitars. More volume/sound from the 60's ADJ. with a thicker neck and very light body.
I have the exact same Ebony 60s reissue ADJ. I have also commented here before that it is the lightest J-45 I've owned. While many have had "tone killer" experiences, it's certainly not the case with this specific ADJ guitar. i'm not positive but I think that Gibson went with the 60s re-issue as far as looks... with pickguard, tuners etc. but it may have the more modern bracing. the build is certainly lighter than my older ones.
I dont have any desire to change out the ADJ system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
adj bridge, gibson acoustic