The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-13-2017, 05:34 PM

Arrow Door to a Journey Unknown

Hey guys! This is Guitaudie and I have just released another youtube video of me playing fingerstyle guitar, a cover of a song from one of my favorite video games. I would really appreciate it if you would leave a like, comment, or subscription on youtube. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/5DRmNmwoc-o
Old 11-13-2017, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Very nice.
It needs a little more “fluidity”, but you’re doing a very good job of
relating the music. Some sections (the ones I suppose you’re more familiar with,
or have spent more time on, arranging or just playing) are very good indeed.

Is this something you arranged? From something (the video game) you’ve only
heard? If so, my praise is even higher.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"

Last edited by Tele1111; 11-13-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:50 PM

That is a difficult piece to play well. You have clearly worked hard and it shows in this piece. You use a lot of nice techniques and they are very effective. This is a very dramatic performance.

I can really relate to some of the difficulties of trying to bring out a clear legato melody while the other left hand fingers are busy doing other things. For example, consider around 0:35 when the melody comes in. As a listener, it sounds choppy as if the melody isn't connected well. What the listener doesn't understand is that it is SUPPOSED to sound like as you imitate the pizzicato strings. Don't be afraid to do a lot more with that. Really make it clear beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is SUPPOSED to be very staccato. That way, the listener hears what you want them to hear.

What you are doing in the introduction is very difficult. Be easy on yourself. You have the benefit of just a solo guitar. This gives you the ability to really take some liberties with your interpretation. For example, you might try rolling the first chord, but not the second chord. Or maybe both. Try giving a really big roll at the end of the first phrase at 0:14. After that, give yourself some extra time before you come in with the next phrase. What this will do is help the listener to dissect and digest what is happening. You might try a crescendo to really set the listener up for that dramatic chord at the end of the second phrase at 0:30. Again, you can give yourself some extra time before you come in with the introductory pizzicato melody. And as far as the ENDING goes, you can be TWICE as dramatic! Really take your time through those phrases and set the listener up for a very dramatic ending.

Again, this is some fine playing. I'm actually very impressed with this! :-)
Old 12-31-2017, 12:28 PM

Woah I'm not even gonna lie, I didn't expect to get such thorough feedback, that's awesome!! I'll work hard to improve, thanks for the suggestions and encouragement!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
acoustic, cover, fingerstyle, guitar, video game