The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-13-2021, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
No not wrong and good catch, in that the audio inputs are indeed renamed to reflect the mics that are plugged into them So the N22 L was renamed from the default Analog 1 and the N22 R was default analog 2 and the Vox mic on the vocals was analog 3......... A renaming luxury afforded by only ever recording myself
I do the same thing but that's because the guy who taught me how to use ProTools does that and because we often collaborate on arrangements, it's so much less confusing if we're using the same sort of naming system for tracks.

Quote:
But honestly I have to say you are the only person I've seen refer to the "analog audio inputs" as "converter inputs " (which I get,,, is technically correct ) given they are in fact coming from the Interfaces A/D converter channels .... but most people just call them audio 1-2 -3 -4 etc..
PT calls them "Audio" tracks when it creates them so I call them audio tracks too. I'm trying to remember what track types were available 20 years ago when I got started. I think it was just audio, midi, and master but I could be remembering wrong.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-14-2021, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I do the same thing but that's because the guy who taught me how to use ProTools does that and because we often collaborate on arrangements, it's so much less confusing if we're using the same sort of naming system for tracks.

PT calls them "Audio" tracks when it creates them so I call them audio tracks too. I'm trying to remember what track types were available 20 years ago when I got started. I think it was just audio, midi, and master but I could be remembering wrong.
I don't remember either because Aux Input tracks have been around for a while also ??

BTW while the track type name is still Audio.... I think the default naming in the I/O matrix and on the tracks Input button may be dependent on the actual Avid Hardware being used ?

Because now on my system using the Carbon and PT Ultimate 2021.3

The default for the audio tracks inputs now reads Mic/Line/Inst. for the Audio 1-2 inputs and Mic/Line for the other 6 analog inputs (which reflects the 8 analog input selections on the front of the Carbon

This is how my default I/O matrix looks

And Default Mixer window

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 05-14-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The default for the audio tracks now reads Mic/Line/Inst. for the Audio 1-2 inputs and Mic/Line for the other 6 analog inputs (which reflects the 8 analog input selections on the front of the Carbon
I was referring to the default name PT gives to tracks when they're created in the edit window, not the I/O defaults.
Audio 1
Audio 2
Audio 3 etc.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-14-2021, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I was referring to the default name PT gives to tracks when they're created in the edit window, not the I/O defaults.
Audio 1
Audio 2
Audio 3 etc.
Oh track names Yes , sorry I was talking about the default I/O input names and Brent (post 89) calling them "converter inputs", and he was stating I had labeled them after the mic/s. And where my OMNI had the default Inputs labeled Analog 1-2 etc,

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 05-14-2021 at 07:38 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD