The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-06-2013, 02:49 AM

Default Godin, Gibson Chet or a Rick Turner?

Looking to add to my collection of guitar with one of the above.
Now am swaying towards the Godin purely cause I will be able to get something thats brand new - Although I could wait till I find either a Chet or Rick in good condition and would prob be roughly the same price - ish.

Anyone thats got either of them give me some info - Basically the way I see it is Godin are the new Gibson Chets and Rick Turners??

I already have a Classical but always play it plugged in so this is the reason I'm wanting a solid body Classical.

Any info ta min

2009 Taylor 914ce
2010 Takamine TC132SC
2015 Guild Firestar
2015 DK1 by DK Custom Guitars
2018 Alhambra 9P CW E2

Old 04-06-2013, 09:11 AM

I can't comment on the Godin or Gibson, but I had a Renaissance (Turner) RN-6H. The playability was excellent and the electronics were superb. They're not that common, though. Good luck on your search, and please let us know what you find.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:51 PM

The RT will be the piece with the most quality feel, fit and finish; so long as you can find the nut width that you like.

The Godins are also cool, and cheap. The one with the modeled microphones (e.g. neumann, earthworks) can sound amazing plugged in.

The Chets are collector relics, so far as amplified sound goes. My opinion, of course, OMMV.
-MM
Old 04-06-2013, 03:02 PM

If you haven't seen this, it seems to be quite a deal on a new Godin. Based on the photo it appears to be a nylon string guitar, although the description does not make this explicit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER. Note though Amazon likely will raise the price substantially as soon as one or two people purchase this (present price under $1,000); they do this with practically all merchandise in their musical instruments outlet.

I have bought a couple of highly discounted Godin nylon string guitars from Amazon with no problem. Plus their return policy is quite generous (free return shipping if defective; otherwise you can return for a refund if you ship it yourself within 30 days). I have sometimes had to return defective guitars (e.g., bad neck angle) to them and they had UPS pick them up at my home.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:50 PM

I have the Godin referred to in previous posts and shown in the link to Amazon (Multiac Ambience). Amazon's price on a new one is fabulous if you can snag it.

I got my guitar in a trade from one of our AGF members.

Plays really well and sounds great through an amp. Can get lots of variations in the tone with the different mic simulations and the piezo. I have been using the guitar in a loud band setting as well as solo and it can be warm/mellow, as well as cranked up to cut through the mix with no feedback and good tone.

It is a bit heavy and may tend to be a bit nasally (IMO), but you can EQ it all over the place.

A very good guitar and works very well for multiple amplified uses. Also has a pretty loud, and pleasing, unplugged sound.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidheguitarist View Post

The Chets are collector relics, so far as amplified sound goes. My opinion, of course, OMMV.
-MM
My mileage varies. I have friends with Godin nylon string guitars, and I own a 1999 Gibson Chet model nylon stringer. The Gibson sounds a lot better to me than any Godin I have played. Those Shadow pickups that Gibson used are excellent, unfortunately now out of production.

Last edited by jmiked0; 04-07-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM

It looks like someone purchased the Godin at Amazon I referred to earlier. The price just changed from $974.89 to $1,392.76. Did anyone here grab one before the price change?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 PM

Default solid body classicals

I tried the Rick Turner. At first I thought it looked real weird, but I was convinced after playing it. What an instrument! It was really well put together, too.

I like the utility of the Godin. It is a great tool.

I also played a Gibson Chet model. It seemed like it was once a great instrument, but the one I played was really beat up
Old 04-08-2013, 09:45 AM

wow that was a great price! if only I lived in the USA! I think I have at least narrowed it down to the Godin Multiac Ambience grand concert or if i can find one of RN6's! I think I'll give the Gibson I miss - Prob easier to get but I'll wait and see if t Turner in decent condition comes along! I will be going to try a grand concert soon anyway to see what feel is like! I wish I was born sooner!!! Would of bought the Rick Turner hands down!!

2009 Taylor 914ce
2010 Takamine TC132SC
2015 Guild Firestar
2018 Alhambra 9P CW E2

Old 05-02-2013, 05:32 PM

Cool Godin, Gibson Chet or a Rick Turner

I have a Gibson Chet Atkins CE solid body classical. I enjoy playing it, but prefer an acoustic guitar for playing classical stuff. I bought it because they are becoming rare (mine is wine red) and in excellent condition. It was part of a collection and I doubt the seller (an estate broker) was aware of the actual value.
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 PM

I've heard a Godin Multiac Grand Concert Duet Ambiance recently, and now I'm lusting after one. What a nice-sounding instrument!

Now I just have to come up with the money.

Last edited by jmiked0; 05-04-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: tamned dypos
Old 05-04-2013, 05:49 AM

I just bought a Godin ACS SA koa and wow! Excellent guitar that plays and sounds amazing when plugged in.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:09 PM

I honestly thought Rick Turner had stopped making guitars! Turns out he will make you a guitar but doesnt stock shops anymore - So I have a price - Was looking at at a guitar shop in the US that used to sell the RT's but they said they had to stop selling them due to slow deliveries and waranty issues! I still havent played the godins as my local guitar shop is waiting on the coming from the london shop - I want the RN6 but dont want any hasstle after I buy it as Santa Cruz isnt a 10min car journey

2009 Taylor 914ce
2010 Takamine TC132SC
2015 Guild Firestar
2018 Alhambra 9P CW E2

Old 05-05-2013, 05:46 PM

I have both a Gibson Chet CE and a Godin ACS (?), it's the one with the built in synth ready pickup. I haven't played either one a whole lot, bought them mostly in case I need to electrify a nylon, but my current trio is steel string only. I prefer the neck on the Godin, but don't really have a preference electrically.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 AM

Haha turns out RT is quite a pushy guy or maybe its me that just can't wait! I haven't bought it yet but I can feel a very long month financially coming on! For anyone that's played the turner how does it feel resting it on the left leg when seated? Any issue's?

2009 Taylor 914ce
2010 Takamine TC132SC
2015 Guild Firestar
2018 Alhambra 9P CW E2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical