The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-30-2022, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Will was the founder of Windham Hill, and one of its main artists, along with his cousin, Alex de Grassi, and Michael Hedges. He sort of defines "new age guitar". Sort of a "soundscape" approach to composing. These days he has a nice studio in New England and produces other people. The LDS are Klaus Heinz-modded U67s, BTW, so no expense spared.

I actually was never taken with his recorded guitar sound back in the day, but then we're talking 80s and vinyl records, and solo guitar sounds were often kind of weak back then.

Here's his newest CD, which presumably was recorded this way:

Just got a chance for a close listen to this. To me, it's a pleasing genre that says more about the recording space and setup than about music. But people listen to music for many reasons. I can appreciate this for the artists achieving their goal.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 07-30-2022, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, his setup, once I understood it, isn't that different from what I do. I normally have spaced LDs and spaced SD's further apart - but I've never found it useful to combine them, they're just there as alternatives. I've also tried room mics back a ways, and never found that useful. Probably my room isn't up to the quality of Will's. It seems to work better to use plugins to add any ambience I need. What I have done for a long time is use a ribbon mic in the middle, which adds some beef to the sound, but lately, I've been preferring just 2 condensers.

I wish they had the article online so I could share it, the photo's pretty impressive :-)
Interestingly enough his album Conferring with the Moon was what we used as my wife's breathing music when she was in labor with our daughter , who is now 37 for a bit of chronological perspective .

Doug I see you mention plugin's Are you not using your M7 for verb anymore ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-30-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Doug I see you mention plugin's Are you not using your M7 for verb anymore ?
I still have it and use it. But sometimes plugins are easier, and there have been a few reverb plugins popping up that give the bricasti a run for the money.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I still have it and use it. But sometimes plugins are easier, and there have been a few reverb plugins popping up that give the bricasti a run for the money.
I use the Seventh Heaven plugin and it's my favorite reverb. Have you found others that you prefer?
Old 07-31-2022, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I use the Seventh Heaven plugin and it's my favorite reverb. Have you found others that you prefer?
I’ve got NeoVerb, Seventh Heaven, and FabFilter Pro R as reverb plug-ins that I play around with. Each one has more options than I can ever imagine using so I can check reverb plug-ins off my PIAS list. I’ve used Seventh Heaven on most of my recordings but recently I’ve been using the FabFilter Pro R with good success and I love the interface.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-31-2022, 04:14 PM

interesting thread.

as I've been listening to Mr. Ackerman for quite some time now.. (late 90s?)

He has some tremendous tracks... (don't love everything he's done, but some,, yea,, awesome)

Apparently the dude knows what he's doin...

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-31-2022, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I like all the LiquidSonics reverbs. The Seventh Heaven is nice, fairly close to the real thing (which I have), tho the hardware wins pretty easily if you compare. The FabFilter reverb is very transparent and has some unique controls. For what I do, where I want it to sound like pure guitar with no effects most of time, it's a good choice (tho the Bricasti is also quite transparent). The Lexicon Native set is also a nice transparent reverb. For more color, I like the UAD plate reverbs as well as the Capitol Chambers. There are also some crazy reverbs like the Eventide Blackhole that I've found useful at times.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I like all the LiquidSonics reverbs. The Seventh Heaven is nice, fairly close to the real thing (which I have), tho the hardware wins pretty easily if you compare. The FabFilter reverb is very transparent and has some unique controls. For what I do, where I want it to sound like pure guitar with no effects most of time, it's a good choice (tho the Bricasti is also quite transparent). The Lexicon Native set is also a nice transparent reverb. For more color, I like the UAD plate reverbs as well as the Capitol Chambers. There are also some crazy reverbs like the Eventide Blackhole that I've found useful at times.
Thank you.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

The photo has shown up online now. Here's Will in his studio:

297133415_10225167385205271_9191691246368451493_n.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD