The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-28-2022, 07:44 AM

Default El Noe de la Mare - HELP!

In my edition (based on Segovia's), at measure 27 there is a quite difficult stretch calling for the 5th fret on the low D-tuned 6th string, and the 10th fret on the 1st string.

Despited repeated finger-stretching exercises, I just cannot seem to pull it off. Otherwise, it would be very enjoyable to play it.

I am seeking alternatives. The only thing that comes to mind is to skip the low D-Tuned 6th string and just play the melody for this measure. Are there other solutions?

Incidentally, I have a similar issues on the second half of measure 5 which calls for fretting at 5-7-4-X-X-5 (1st string to 6th string). The 5-7 part is hard to fret with the third and fourth finger.

Putting a capo on to shorten the distance would not help, because there is a wonderful (and playable!) measure 17 fretting at 15-11-12 frets. A capo would perhaps solve some of the above issues, but then make this a challenge.

Finally: my score has some dissonant-sounding notes, such as the last beat of measure 26 and the third beat of measure 29. Transcription errors or genuine intent?

thanks!
Old 07-29-2022, 04:58 AM

I *think* I know which spots you mean, but the editions I have don't have measure numbers that high--probably a difference in whether the repeated sections are written out or not (though even there the math doesn't seem to add up). This version at IMSLP is free, so maybe we can use it as a common reference:
https://imslp.org/wiki/El_Noy_de_la_...bet%2C_Miguel)

The big stretch is measure 11 in this version? What does your left hand look like when you're attempting this? The first finger on the low G should almost look like a barre on the 5th fret, with just enough arch to clear the open D and B strings below. You want to try to rotate the forearm as much as possible to get the bottom knuckle (near your palm) of the 4th finger as close as you can to the side of the fretboard. Dropping your shoulder and bringing the left elbow close to your side can help.

The second spot you mentioned (second half of measure 5?) doesn't seem to align with the frets you described, which would translate to a-f#-b-G. That's the second half of measure 7 in the IMSLP edition, and it's done with a barre at the fifth fret and the b played at the 9th fret of the fourth string. Still a big 3-4 finger stretch, but again maybe feasible if you get the elbow down and close to your body.
Edit: just took a look at the other edition I've used before, and I think it has the fingering you mentioned with a 3-4 stretch between the f# and a, and first finger on the b at the third fret G string. In that case, the previous e-g is fingered with 2 and 4 so that you can use the 4 as a guide finger when you slide up to the f#.

There are some spicy notes in the last couple bars.

Last edited by smwink; 07-29-2022 at 06:41 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-29-2022, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Dijohn View Post
In my edition (based on Segovia's), at measure 27 there is a quite difficult stretch calling for the 5th fret on the low D-tuned 6th string, and the 10th fret on the 1st string.

Despited repeated finger-stretching exercises, I just cannot seem to pull it off. Otherwise, it would be very enjoyable to play it.
Stick to it. It's doable, and worth it, as you said. Just follow smwink's instructions, and go at it slowly, and don't make it the first chord you play in your daily practice.
It helps that the D and B notes are open strings.
It's a similar kind of stretch for the hand that you find in the Bach Prelude BWV 999, in standard tuning, with the low F on the 6th string and a three finger barre on the 5th fret with the pinky.
So, these kinds of stretches do happen and are worth the effort.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-29-2022, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Dijohn View Post
Incidentally, I have a similar issues on the second half of measure 5 which calls for fretting at 5-7-4-X-X-5 (1st string to 6th string). The 5-7 part is hard to fret with the third and fourth finger.
Suggest that arrangement more difficult than needed.

Different arrangement in my version by J. De Azpiazu.

However with the 5-7-4-X-X-5 chord I would finger it (1st string to 6th string) middle, pinky, index and index (angled barre with the index finger).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-29-2022, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Says it is Segovia version (can't swear to that)
https://musescore.com/user/28328547/scores/5036534

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-29-2022, 09:26 AM

One other assumption I'm making is that you're using a traditional classical guitar playing position with the guitar waist more or less over the left leg (either with a footstool or some kind of guitar support) and the neck angled upward to some extent. If you're playing with the guitar shifted more to the right and/or the neck angle lower, you're going to have trouble with exactly the kinds of stretches we're discussing here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical