The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-02-2022, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Default KVM switches ...I didn't know these existed

As I'm about to reconfigure my recording space, the one issue I was still mulling over was what to do with the PC in my studio room that I use for everything but music.

For years, I've had my iMac setup behind my midi keyboard and I kept the computer keyboard on top of the midi keyboard and worked that way. Not ideal by a long shot.

That rack was the biggest issue because there was no good spot on the opposite wall which would be the better place for my rack gear to be. But I have a couple of new shorter racks coming next week and now my setup can go on the shorter wall where it should be. And I was thinking it would be good to leave the midi keyboard where it is so I would no longer have to work over the top of it.

But that left the problem of where to put the PC. I figured I could put the tower on the floor but I'd still need a monitor and keyboard/mouse somewhere on my L-shaped studio desk. So last night I was thinking about it again and it occurred to me it would be nice if there was a way for a Mac and a PC to share a monitor. And then I googled it and discovered KVM switches which will do just that.

How have I never heard of these before?

I'm going to tackle the studio revamp first and then I'll be able to figure out how to introduce the KVM switch so that I can use my PC on the same monitor I use for music editing on my Mac while having a 2nd monitor that mirrors my Mac behind my midi keyboard. If that setup will be different using my current iMac compared to a Mac Studio, I may just wait until I buy that later this year. But either way, it looks like there's a good solution to my dilemma.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-02-2022, 05:19 PM

I have tried a couple of the monitor routing switches in the past and had problems with them, probably because of the number of contacts they need to cleanly switch. I gave up on using them because of the hit or miss on how well they worked (or didn't...).
Old 07-02-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I have tried a couple of the monitor routing switches in the past and had problems with them, probably because of the number of contacts they need to cleanly switch. I gave up on using them because of the hit or miss on how well they worked (or didn't...).
Back in the day I worked for a Big Computer Company where we used lots of these sorts of switches. We had many workstations that didn't need simultaneous access, and CRT monitors were big, heavy and expensive.

I don't recall having many issues with them. Of course, back then everything was VGA and PS2, so maybe things were just more simple then. But assuming it works as advertised--I don't see why it wouldn't-- these switches will do the trick.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I did a fair amount of reading up on these devices last night and I got the impression they fall into the "you get what you pay for" category.

Some folks are also making a lot more connections than I'd need. Other than the monitors, a computer keyboard, and a mouse, I don't need anything else to work with both machines. I have a wireless Apple keyboard and mouse that will work the Mac without additional connections and those I'll use at the midi keyboard controller station where I'll have a mirrored monitor. Keeping it simple probably decreases the possibility of problems.

YouTube
Old 07-03-2022, 10:38 AM

I use one in my home office "Studio B" -- but it's an older generation DVI video switch that only does 1920x1200 resolution tops. Reliable for me and it saves space and expense. I have my Windows general use and mixing/mastering PC, my "in the box" and last-minute overdubs Mac Mini, and by older previous "in-the-box" Mac Mini on it. I convert from HDMI, USB C, or mini-Display Port on the computers to DVI with dongles before the KVM. I think mine is branded Aten.

I'm aware that there are some KVM that can use newer HDMI and Display Port etc to allow for higher monitor resolutions I'd suppose -- but I have no experience with them.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-03-2022, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I'm aware that there are some KVM that can use newer HDMI and Display Port etc to allow for higher monitor resolutions I'd suppose -- but I have no experience with them.
In my hunting around for info, I've seen switches that will handle two 5K monitors. Right now, my iMac is 5K and my PC monitor is a 4K BenQ SW271. I'd like the BenQ to be my main monitor because it's provides me a 99% Adobe RGB palette for photo editing. It also lets me instantly change the monitor to 100% SRGB if I'm editing for the internet or grayscale ...I don't use the grayscale but the other two features are important to me.

When I do my studio reorganization sometime in the next week or two, I'll makes some notes about connections on all the relevant pieces and get on the phone with one of the KVR makers to figure out exactly what I'll need and, perhaps most importantly (because I don't want to buy another KVR switch in 6 months), if the switch that would help me now would be the same switch I'll need when I buy a Mac Studio.

YouTube
Old 07-03-2022, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
For years, I've had my iMac setup behind my midi keyboard and I kept the computer keyboard on top of the midi keyboard and worked that way. Not ideal by a long shot.

That rack was the biggest issue because there was no good spot on the opposite wall which would be the better place for my rack gear to be. But I have a couple of new shorter racks coming next week and now my setup can go on the shorter wall where it should be. And I was thinking it would be good to leave the midi keyboard where it is so I would no longer have to work over the top of it.
I also tackle space and usage problems.

So I will be very interested to see how you use your new Shorter Racks. I have also thought that having a small, movable rack for compressors and preamps. That way I could place it in front of me when recording and see the absolute levels on my preamp and compressors. I do have a wide peripheral vision...So I can kind of see them now. They are 90 degrees to me when I record. But small racks easy to move? That sounds like a great Idea. What Brand are they and I assume they have handles? And I assume you will have to get longer cables in order to move them around?

I thought many times about organizing my midi keyboard similar to your system, below the computer.

Ultimately I decided on a stand with rollers. This works out great as I can just move it in seconds from the side of the Computer desk to right at my fingertips. The stand I bought was less than $100 and comes with great roller wheels and is very stable.

Old 07-03-2022, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
What Brand are they and I assume they have handles? And I assume you will have to get longer cables in order to move them around?
The two 20u racks...
Odyssey Carpeted Studio Rack

The 8u rack...
Gator Frameworks Elite Series 8U

I'll post pictures once it's all sorted.

YouTube
Old 07-03-2022, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

But that left the problem of where to put the PC. I figured I could put the tower on the floor but I'd still need a monitor and keyboard/mouse somewhere on my L-shaped studio desk. So last night I was thinking about it again and it occurred to me it would be nice if there was a way for a Mac and a PC to share a monitor. But either way, it looks like there's a good solution to my dilemma.
I was talking to my brother just now, who lives on the other side of the country...and he said he still has a KVM Switch and use to use it.

But now he uses Keyboards and Mouses that have a switch on them so you can jump back and forth between your different computers.

The company that makes them is Logitech. Wireless MX Master 3 mouse and MX keys master wireless keyboard.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But now he uses Keyboards and Mouses that have a switch on them so you can jump back and forth between your different computers.
That doesn't address my issue. I need to be able to share a monitor or there's no point to it. The real estate problem wouldn't be with a keyboard and mouse that could easily be set aside. The monitor will be in the way.

YouTube
Old 07-03-2022, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That doesn't address my issue. I need to be able to share a monitor or there's no point to it. The real estate problem wouldn't be with a keyboard and mouse that could easily be set aside. The monitor will be in the way.
I see what you are saying, it will switch computers but not monitors?

I thought he said these keyboards would share the same monitor...but maybe I mis understood him.

I will call him tomorrow and double check.

I will also check to see if he does not need his KVM switch anymore. If so, and he does not think he will need it anymore, maybe I can get him to send it to you.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I will also check to see if he does not need his KVM switch anymore. If so, and he does not think he will need it anymore, maybe I can get him to send it to you.
I appreciate the offer but, from what I've read, they're not one-size-fits-all devices. One has to get one for their specific monitor needs (one or two), and for the connections they have on both monitors. The two monitor variety which I'll need cost more than the one monitor switches so I doubt someone would buy one of those if they didn't need it for two monitors.

YouTube
Old 07-04-2022, 06:39 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I use KVM gear in several applications. My computer tower is located in another room so we use KVM extenders to run the keyboard and mouse in the control room. We also have an HDMI extender for the three monitors we use, two for the GUI and one for video. And finally, we've got a keyboard switcher that allows the keyboard to be switched between the DAW and the console.

Have you considered using an audio receiver with video capabilities as your switcher? At home I've got all my video run through my Denon receiver via HDMI, including the DAW, when I bring the laptop DAW home. It is a "punch and crunch" switcher, nothing pretty, but it gets the job done reliably. I've got presets set up that choose whatever audio and video I want with a button press.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-04-2022, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Have you considered using an audio receiver with video capabilities as your switcher? At home I've got all my video run through my Denon receiver via HDMI, including the DAW, when I bring the laptop DAW home. It is a "punch and crunch" switcher, nothing pretty, but it gets the job done reliably. I've got presets set up that choose whatever audio and video I want with a button press.
I didn't know that could be done but it sounds like it would be a more expensive solution with a bigger footprint in the room (the receiver) as opposed to a switch which can be easily tucked away.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD