The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-16-2021, 06:00 PM

Small mixer and a powered speaker usually. My latest configuration is a Yamaha MG10XU and a single Yamaha DBR10.

I have used the Acoustic AG30 back in the day and having a dedicated acoustic amp was nice, but I usually need at least two vocal mics as my wife sings with me too.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:01 PM

I have a few

Fishman LBA
Fender acoustasonic jr (from 2003)
Bos S1 Pro

the Fishman is the best one for me.

The fender comes in second.

S1 pro,3rd..

it's great when you need a battery op'd amp that can to vocals as well. but it's not all that warm sounding as an acoustic amp.

Even with a tonedexter...

just my 2 cents....
Old 01-16-2021, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I used a Fishman Loudbox Mini with a direct line out to a Bose L1c for years. After the Bose S1 came out, I switched that in place of the LBM. The S1 also works great by itself, depending on the coverage you need.

The L1c is also a good amp/PA on its own, but I like a bit of reverb, and it doesn't have that. Thus, the reason for the LBM or S1. I have used a TC Helicon Gxt or Play Acoustic to get reverb with the L1c. And, it is on close-out right now.

Options.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
If you sing at all, I'd look at a powered speaker. They sound better than any acoustic amp I've played, except for my Carvin AG 300 which is no longer made.
Another AG300 fan. It has so many great features. It essentially is a powered speaker with three inputs, built in effects, can be pole-mounted, 3-way cabinet, high impedance (HI Z) so passive piezo pickup equipped instruments can be used without a preamp.....

I never see any used ones for sale and I'm not sure Carvin still makes them.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Fishman Loudbox mini and artist majority of the time. Bose L1 compact on occasion. All at home. Dont gig out.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-16-2021, 09:48 PM

I have a Loudbox Artist.

My feeling about the Artist is that it's a great combination of good-enough sound, easy portability, and good price. You can get something that sounds better ... if you spend a lot more money and/or are willing to deal with something a lot heavier.

Honestly, I have a UST in my guitar, and I think that, not the amp, is the primary limiting factor in my sound. But given from what I've heard from other guitarists, I think my evaluation stands even with a better pickup: it's good enough, you can do better, but it'll cost you a LOT more, and probably be less portable, too.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Definitely the odd man out here ... my amp is the LR Baggs Acoustic Reference - a terrific amp that covers vocal as well as acoustic instruments, kind of like having a 2 channel LR Baggs Venue, works great on the ground because it has a unique dispersion pattern, easy to move around .... if you are looking for one - it appears GC in Huntsville is advertising a used one at a price that I find tempting ..
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 01-17-2021, 04:29 AM

Fishman Loudbox Mini
I had my heart set on a Fender Acoustisonic 40
turned out to be underpowered and underwhelming.

Taylor 214 CE
Epiphone PR-5E
Yamaha FG430 with Fishman Prefix Blender
Guild OM-260CE Deluxe Antique Burst with Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend
Old 01-17-2021, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

I have 2.

Fender Acoustasonic old school version. Tall, heavy and pre di / line out era. But it has awesome sound tone compared to todays fenders which to me are absolute s#$t boxes.

Todays tech. Tried em all including all the Fishmans. Never liked their amps on any level, mainly sound flat to me. Latest purchase - Genzler Acoustic Array Pro. 1k amp and in my opinion, THE BEST amp 1k and under IMHO. Sound, power, effects, 3 di outta pre and post mix, 28 lbs etc.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:28 AM

Another Fishman Loudbox Mini owner. Mostly for use at home, taking to practice and a few small outdoor events.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
I have 2.

Fender Acoustasonic old school version. Tall, heavy and pre di / line out era. But it has awesome sound tone compared to todays fenders which to me are absolute s#$t boxes.

Todays tech. Tried em all including all the Fishmans. Never liked their amps on any level, mainly sound flat to me. Latest purchase - Genzler Acoustic Array Pro. 1k amp and in my opinion, THE BEST amp 1k and under IMHO. Sound, power, effects, 3 di outta pre and post mix, 28 lbs etc.
Proves how different we are. I had one of those old school tall Fender Acoustasonic amps and I exchanged it because it kept breaking up. The new one did the same thing. So I stopped using an amp and just used the PA. Then years later I tried an Acoustic 100 and it was much better at higher volumes than the old school one were.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Home Usage:
VOX AGA150
UltraSound AG-30 (American-made)

Playing Out:
LR Baggs Synapse Personal PA
EON One Compact (pair)
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-17-2021, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Let me just throw Genzler into the discussion. I have an older Genz-Benz Shenandoa acoustic amp that I rarely use,nand Im not sure why. It sounds great for guitar and vocals, and Ive read the newer array models are even better. They are in the range of AER and H&Ks, so more than fishmans, fenders
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-17-2021, 12:43 PM

Solo gigs = Marshall AS100d

Band gigs = 66 Super Reverb

My amplified sound is happy!
1966 Fender Super Reverb
VVT Nighthawk

"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile." - Jerry Garcia
Old 01-17-2021, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Let me just throw Genzler into the discussion. I have an older Genz-Benz Shenandoa acoustic amp that I rarely use,nand Im not sure why. It sounds great for guitar and vocals, and Ive read the newer array models are even better. They are in the range of AER and H&Ks, so more than fishmans, fenders
Tried everywhere to find me one of those 300LT models. Genz Benz now Genzler had a 3-5 yr downtime I believe to his agreement per selling Genz benz off to Fender I believe for the usual dismantle.

I believe Uncle Jessie above mentioned the old tall Fendet having issues. I've had zero, yet because of todays improvements in amps, size weight wouldnt necessarily seek it out again, but if one found one in excellent condition and depending on application wouldnt tell them not to. Its 68 lbs etc. But the early yrs voicing on this many friends who've used it like it as much as I have. Almost sold, then I purchased different DI boxes and mics to mic it properly. Now I have a radial twin city di splitting into both. Sounds awesome alone or combined.

Last edited by DjFuzzyMcPickle; 01-17-2021 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Typos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification