The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 02-01-2021, 11:38 AM
jjhturbo jjhturbo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 235
Default

Thanks everyone for the kind words and thanks Eire, for the input regarding the sound port. I just took a look at your beauty -- the Black Limba with the dual ports. Very nice. Never really thought about multiple sound ports as I was mainly trying to decide what "kind" to get.

Will think about this. In your opinion, what is the change in overall volume from the front? (when having single versus dual sound ports)

Thanks again everyone for the well wishes. And just to agree with what's been stated a few times already, but warrants it again -- I couldn't pick better people than Tim & Mary to handle my first commission. They are gems, both professionally and more importantly, as human beings.
__________________
Acoustics:
Froggy Bottom, Emerald, McKnight (incoming)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-04-2021, 03:23 PM
Eire Eire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: two doors down from nowhere
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhturbo View Post
In your opinion, what is the change in overall volume from the front? (when having single versus dual sound ports)
You'll find plenty of opinions about sound ports on AGF, if you conduct a search. Some folks are believers; others aren't. Tim has the science (imagine that!) behind it, and while I know psychoacoustics is involved, I tend to believe that the sound port, as well as its position, makes a difference in what you hear, particularly when playing softly.

While there is a bit of increase in volume, the various ports are more about effect. For lack of a better description, no port makes me feel as though the sound is out in front of me and a bit to my right; a 'Todd' port or Luckenbooth makes me feel as though there is sound coming from between my jaw and left shoulder; and the dual port makes me feel as though sound is coming up from either side of my jaw. Again: I find this especially true when playing softly.

You'll find my other McKnight with dual ports as the model for dual ports under the 'options' page on the McKnight site; it was my first build with Tim, and I'm not sure how many others have had dual ports cut into their guitars (if any). I simply find that I prefer the dual port over a single port, regardless of the design (and those designs can be quite aesthetically pleasing).

Once more: You'll hear all sorts of ideas, if you search the site for threads about sound ports. My perspective is just one of many and should be weighed accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-05-2021, 11:35 AM
jjhturbo jjhturbo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
You'll find plenty of opinions about sound ports on AGF, if you conduct a search. Some folks are believers; others aren't. Tim has the science (imagine that!) behind it, and while I know psychoacoustics is involved, I tend to believe that the sound port, as well as its position, makes a difference in what you hear, particularly when playing softly.

While there is a bit of increase in volume, the various ports are more about effect. For lack of a better description, no port makes me feel as though the sound is out in front of me and a bit to my right; a 'Todd' port or Luckenbooth makes me feel as though there is sound coming from between my jaw and left shoulder; and the dual port makes me feel as though sound is coming up from either side of my jaw. Again: I find this especially true when playing softly.

You'll find my other McKnight with dual ports as the model for dual ports under the 'options' page on the McKnight site; it was my first build with Tim, and I'm not sure how many others have had dual ports cut into their guitars (if any). I simply find that I prefer the dual port over a single port, regardless of the design (and those designs can be quite aesthetically pleasing).

Once more: You'll hear all sorts of ideas, if you search the site for threads about sound ports. My perspective is just one of many and should be weighed accordingly.
Thanks, Eire. Appreciate your opinion/perspective, and I understand the subjectivity component too.
__________________
Acoustics:
Froggy Bottom, Emerald, McKnight (incoming)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-05-2021, 11:40 AM
jjhturbo jjhturbo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 235
Default

New updates!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4500.jpg (67.0 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 4501.jpg (66.9 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4505.jpg (47.9 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg 4511.jpg (33.7 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4513.jpg (30.4 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4515.jpg (37.4 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4517.jpg (47.5 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 4522.jpg (42.4 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4524.jpg (36.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 4530.jpg (31.9 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4532.jpg (43.6 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4535.jpg (49.4 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4537.jpg (34.7 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4539.jpg (43.2 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 4541.jpg (38.5 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4544.jpg (25.1 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4552.jpg (41.8 KB, 203 views)
__________________
Acoustics:
Froggy Bottom, Emerald, McKnight (incoming)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-05-2021, 11:42 AM
jjhturbo jjhturbo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 235
Default

And more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4559.jpg (29.6 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 4560.jpg (53.7 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 4563.jpg (33.3 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 4564.jpg (53.4 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 4565.jpg (31.7 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4567.jpg (48.9 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4570.jpg (37.2 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 4572.jpg (44.2 KB, 206 views)
__________________
Acoustics:
Froggy Bottom, Emerald, McKnight (incoming)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-05-2021, 01:12 PM
Nemoman Nemoman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N. California
Posts: 2,490
Default

This Lowlander is really moving right along--looks wonderful so far!
__________________
Brazzie (Rio Lava)--2015 Stehr Auditorium (Adirondack/BRW)
Tigger--2013 Stehr Auditorium (Carpathian/Myrtlewood)
Melee--Razo 19 OM (German/Malaysian)
BevelBelle--Wilborn Ellie Belle (Old Stika/EIR)
Dana--1999 Bourgeois OM (Sitka/EIR)
Tres M--Malachite Machinga Meridian--2020 Baranik Meridian (Machinga/ Colorado Blue Spruce)
Ariel--2020 Wilborn Arum (Cocobolo/Tunnel 14)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-06-2021, 06:20 AM
cigarfan's Avatar
cigarfan cigarfan is offline
Music soothes the soul!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Within the blast radius of Washington D.C.
Posts: 4,662
Default

Looking Schweeet!
__________________
Life is like a box of chocolates ....
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-08-2021, 05:22 PM
jjhturbo jjhturbo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 235
Default

This is really moving along! Got updates today on the neck and fretboard! I must say I continue to be so pleased with the blue trim/accent!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4579.jpg (34.7 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 4580.jpg (56.8 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4582.jpg (42.6 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4583.jpg (40.3 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 4585.jpg (35.0 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4586.jpg (36.9 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 4587.jpg (60.7 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4588.jpg (62.4 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4591.jpg (41.4 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 4593.jpg (30.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4594.jpg (28.7 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4595.jpg (35.5 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 4607.jpg (64.0 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 45609.jpg (57.0 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 4612.jpg (43.8 KB, 176 views)
__________________
Acoustics:
Froggy Bottom, Emerald, McKnight (incoming)
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-09-2021, 03:58 PM
cigarfan's Avatar
cigarfan cigarfan is offline
Music soothes the soul!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Within the blast radius of Washington D.C.
Posts: 4,662
Default

Tim you are soooo much fun to watch!
__________________
Life is like a box of chocolates ....
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-09-2021, 05:42 PM
Guitars44me's Avatar
Guitars44me Guitars44me is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Mountains east of San Diego
Posts: 4,615
Smile Yes indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Tim you are soooo much fun to watch!
I am enjoying this too!

As for soundports, I prefer one in the middle of the upper Bout bend. ( I tend to hold the Guitar in a semi classical position with the butt between my legs, when playing seated.)

This delivers a nice stereo balance. Lots of tone from the top in my right ear, and the port works for my left.

YMMV. Hahaha

Looking good!

You will be thrilled, I am sure!!!

Salud

Paul
__________________
3 beloved John Kinnaird Customs
R.T 2c 12 fret Custom
2016 552ce 12X12
R.Wilson Weissenborn
A few choice 90s Taylors
More...
Still Too many, but
"OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER, TOO YOUNG TO CARE!"
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-10-2021, 01:24 PM
Mary's Avatar
Mary Mary is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Central Ohio
Posts: 9,051
Default

It's nice that those of you who are sound port experienced are sharing your thoughts here so jjTurbo can make a more educated decision of the sound his own ear will better appreciate. Thank you. It's not something my phone through a facetime chat can make clear since we really aren't equipped for quality sound.

John as with many of our customers, Eire, has an educated ear and a talent to play. He has a collection of McKnight guitars with different sound holes. As also with several others (Cigarfan) he has been in our wood room/shop/home/loft recent enough that they can tell what they heard that won them over to pick their guitars and sound holes. They are able to explain why one guitar over another still keeps their interest.

You can talk to those who have responded on this thread and trust their guidance. There is still time to think of the side sound port but when that time comes ... and that first spin of the drill has entered the guitar ---- there is probably no chance for changing your mind. I am pretty sure it's ok to PM the guys if you have any doubt and you might not want to talk publicly about it. They may have had that same doubt at one time. They will have your back.
__________________
********************

🐟 ... make a joyful noise ...

http://www.mcknightguitars.com
http://myspace.com/mcknightguitars
http://www.youtube.com/McKnightGuitars
http://facebook.com/mcknightguitars



McJam Annual event - contact me in PM
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-10-2021, 05:29 PM
jjhturbo jjhturbo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
It's nice that those of you who are sound port experienced are sharing your thoughts here so jjTurbo can make a more educated decision of the sound his own ear will better appreciate. Thank you. It's not something my phone through a facetime chat can make clear since we really aren't equipped for quality sound.

John as with many of our customers, Eire, has an educated ear and a talent to play. He has a collection of McKnight guitars with different sound holes. As also with several others (Cigarfan) he has been in our wood room/shop/home/loft recent enough that they can tell what they heard that won them over to pick their guitars and sound holes. They are able to explain why one guitar over another still keeps their interest.

You can talk to those who have responded on this thread and trust their guidance. There is still time to think of the side sound port but when that time comes ... and that first spin of the drill has entered the guitar ---- there is probably no chance for changing your mind. I am pretty sure it's ok to PM the guys if you have any doubt and you might not want to talk publicly about it. They may have had that same doubt at one time. They will have your back.
Yes, indeed, Mary! This forum and the input received here have proven to always be very useful. A lot of food for thought regarding the sound hole options. Really appreciate everyone's point of view and experiences. Mulling over still in the meantime. Btw, tell Tim to make sure to take a break now and then. The progress he has been making has just been amazing!
__________________
Acoustics:
Froggy Bottom, Emerald, McKnight (incoming)
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-10-2021, 05:32 PM
jjhturbo jjhturbo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 235
Default

Headstock binding/purfling!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4614.jpg (34.5 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4616.jpg (38.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4617.jpg (40.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 4619.jpg (49.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4620.jpg (36.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4623.jpg (35.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 4624.jpg (61.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 4626.jpg (39.1 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4627.jpg (33.2 KB, 136 views)
__________________
Acoustics:
Froggy Bottom, Emerald, McKnight (incoming)
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-12-2021, 05:45 PM
D. Churchland's Avatar
D. Churchland D. Churchland is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,429
Default

Love the blue. That's a classy touch
__________________
churchlandguitars on Instagram

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-13-2021, 09:53 AM
Mary's Avatar
Mary Mary is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Central Ohio
Posts: 9,051
Default

We have built spec guitars with the red trim and I remember doing one with green trim but this is the first time anyone has asked for the blue. It IS very eye appealing when combined with the raw woods. I, too, am looking forward to seeing this guitar completely dressed.
__________________
********************

🐟 ... make a joyful noise ...

http://www.mcknightguitars.com
http://myspace.com/mcknightguitars
http://www.youtube.com/McKnightGuitars
http://facebook.com/mcknightguitars



McJam Annual event - contact me in PM
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=