The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-25-2020, 03:44 PM

You've had lots of advice on here, but in case it's helpful I'll offer another suggestion.

I bought a 12-string from Steve Kinnaird earlier this year (Steve is brother to the John Kinnaird mentioned in the post above, and also a very fine luthier).

I should make it clear that I generally don't like acoustic 12 strings, except in the hands of someone like Leo Kottke or Fahey. Also, most of the 12 strings I've played have been difficult to play, and to my ears just don't sound very good at all.

Despite all that, when I heard a demo video of this Kinnaird 12-string, I had to have it. The sound is exceptional. And after driving to Nacogdoches to buy it, I found that its playability was incomparable to any other 12 string I've ever touched. Just a beautiful instrument.

I didn't commission this guitar, but I did commission another guitar from Steve this year, and I'm confident he would work with you to come up with something satisfactory.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
You've had lots of advice on here, but in case it's helpful I'll offer another suggestion.

I bought a 12-string from Steve Kinnaird earlier this year (Steve is brother to the John Kinnaird mentioned in the post above, and also a very fine luthier).

I should make it clear that I generally don't like acoustic 12 strings, except in the hands of someone like Leo Kottke or Fahey. Also, most of the 12 strings I've played have been difficult to play, and to my ears just don't sound very good at all.

Despite all that, when I heard a demo video of this Kinnaird 12-string, I had to have it. The sound is exceptional. And after driving to Nacogdoches to buy it, I found that its playability was incomparable to any other 12 string I've ever touched. Just a beautiful instrument.

I didn't commission this guitar, but I did commission another guitar from Steve this year, and I'm confident he would work with you to come up with something satisfactory.
Thank you! I will reach out to Steve and see what comes of it. Again, many thanks.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Well, first of all the LKSMs are JUMBOS.
If the neck was difficult to capo and fret I would guess the action was set too high. Some Older (and some newer) guitars really need a neck set to get to correct geometry. And it is a real test of a tech to set up a 12 string for ease of play! Especially if you want to play slide on it too!!!
As for slim neck, I meant depth front to back, not the width. Since most 12s have a 1 7/8" Nut width, a slim depth can make barre chords MUCH easier. Unless you are blessed with BIG mitts.
Rare to find a Taylor with poor intonation. I would suspect a poorly shaped bridge Saddle...
to second Tom B, any of the sponsors here would be able to build you a spectacular guitar. But it does help to know what you are seeking! (Thus this thread, I guess)
Of course I suggest a talk with John Kinnard, who has built me 4 spectacular guitars now and #5 is in the home stretch.
Best on your Quest!
Paul

Thanks again. I will contact John (and Steve, as per the other advice I've gotten here).

I'm 5' 8" and the LKSM jumbo was simply too big for me. It took me getting tendonitis from playing it a lot last year to realize...guess I was slow on the uptake there. Not anymore though...these days I immediately notice and prioritize size/fit/ergonomics. I think I prefer slim necks. The best most comfortable neck by far that I have played in that on the Lowden PBSM model. It makes it feel easier than on any guitar I have played before.

Thanks again!
Old 12-25-2020, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Smile Take some breaks...

When I got serious about playing guitar (at 42, after 35 years of drumming!) I would play until it just started hurting. Then stop till I was fine, then play again until I felt a twinge or two. Then repeat, day and night for quite a few years.

There is nothing to be gained from pain, except disability. Be gentle with yourself. The instruments will wait till you are safe.

Ask JK about my non patented Pablo Package of ergonomic and tonal upgrades!

If you get bevels and Wedge on a shorter scale cutaway 12 fret, you can play considerably longer without hurting! At least I can...

Best on the quest!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop