The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-24-2016, 06:19 PM

Default Sustain

What is it in the build process that contributes to an acoustic guitar having a good sustain?
Old 05-24-2016, 06:45 PM

It usually starts with wood selection.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:47 PM

I like Ervin Somogyi's concept of "type 1" and "type 2" sustain.

Type 1 is like a solid body guitar, where the soundboard is too heavy/stiff to move much, so the guitar is quiet but sustains for a long time as the energy remains largely confined to the string.

Type 2 uses the back as a flywheel to absorb some energy from the soundboard and feed it back over time. Without this, a highly efficient soundboard converts the whole string energy to sound in a short time (loud, but short sustain). Low damping back wood has a big advantage here.

And a third thing is to minimize losses, for example by making the neck and sides heavy so they won't move, keeping all vibration confined to the soundboard and/or back. Surface hardness of the back/sides may have an effect as well.

There seem to be 3 main schools of high-end building.
1. Light everything. Low to medium type 1 sustain depending on soundboard stiffness, medium to high type 2 sustain depending on back wood, medium to high losses depending on woods.
2. Light soundboard, heavy everything else. Low to medium type 1 sustain depending on soundboard stiffness, low type 2 sustain, low losses.
3. Light and loose soundboard and back, heavy sides/neck. Low type 1 sustain, high type 2 sustain, low losses (provided low damping back wood is used).

Last edited by dekutree64; 05-24-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:36 PM

what is good sustain for an acoustic and how do you measure it? I play an open chord (usually C) and count until I can't hear it - but this is not very repeatable or scientific...

brian
Old 05-26-2016, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
what is good sustain for an acoustic and how do you measure it? I play an open chord (usually C) and count until I can't hear it - but this is not very repeatable or scientific...

brian
Notes that stick around long enough to get their say in and then vamoose.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop