The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:14 PM

I got to play my first Kostal this past weekend at Woodstock (two actually). I have to admit I had read so much about his guitars on internet forums that I started to become disinterested, like "hype backlash" (happened to me with Wilco, Radiohead, The Wire, Sons of Anarchy).

Just like the examples above, when I finally did get to have the experience I was in no way let down. Even in the terrible listening conditions at the show, I could tell Jason's guitars were stellar. It doesn't hurt that Jason is a fantastic guy, unreal player and has the perspective of being a guitar buyer as well as a builder.

And yes, I am the guy telling people how great The Wire is, years after it ended. Better late to the party vs missing it altogether I guess.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:34 PM

Congratulations, Eric!

Your wife seems to really love you so just keep buying those guitars...
Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

thanks for all the replies so far! Its really been a fun journey. Debating which woods, wondering which body sizes to go with, changing your mind here and there.

I think after 10 years of buying guitars and trying various high end makers, you tend to know more of what you want. Your ears become more specific and are looking for that one thing here or there. You want one characteristic from guitar A and another from guitar B. Then guitar C really sticks out for you and you want that too! Soon the list becomes too long and then you don't know what you want again!

The reality? No one guitar can do it all. Some can come close and others fall a bit short.

When I commissioned my first Kostal, as stated, I wanted that haunting Somogyi base, but the focus of my Ryan. I wanted a deep warm sound like my favorite cedar guitar without loosing the clarity you get from a nice spruce.

But then...... I played a newly built Traugott Model R. Wow, that thing was so different! Not better, but different. I wanted warm, bassy, and clear, and Jason delivered exactly what I asked. I didn't ask for crazy thick trebles that are so sterile but not harsh. But this Traugott was that. So I gave it a few months and then I had to play it again! And wow, did it really open up! Anyone who hasn't played Jeff's newer guitars, you really need to do yourself a favor and play one! So I spoke with Jeff at great lengths and was really on the fence of getting a new model R.

Thick trebles, clear and sterile, extremely balanced, without loosing focus. Thats a new guitar

So like anyone making a big purchase, I made a few calls and played a few more guitars. And then I called Jason..... I hate it when I do that (in a good way)

I was looking for this new guitar which was small body. I just spoke with him again and he said I could share our discussion.

At the 2009 Montreal Show, Robin Weber from Guitar Gallery mentioned the idea for a 00 guitar. Jason and her had a long conversation about it at the time and she commissioned a 00 back then. Since 2009, Jason has been working on the designs and facets of this guitar to produce a full body sound out of a small body guitar. This guitar will be finished for Robin in 2013 and will be released as a new model in Jason's offerings. He really wants Robin to have the first one because she was the one who envisioned it leading up to Montreal.

Now Gustav Fredell also has that small guitar that really intrigued me. It was kind of what I was looking for. I don't think Jason's new design is a response to that guitar, but more a response to Robin back in 2009. Robin was wanting to offer a smaller option to women clients and an 00 seemed like the right answer!

So now do I get an OM, or do I try out something a little smaller? Your thoughts? What would you like to see?

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 11-02-2012, 02:00 PM

A small guitar does not need to mean a small voice. Listen to Adam Miller play his Traugott fan frett 00 on Jeff's website, and you'll hear a lot of volume and wonderful tone. I'm sure that an 00 from Jason would be as spectacular as his other sizes. And, it may be just the thing for you, Eric, if you're looking to maintain a solid, reliable sound but would like something different than what you've had.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Thinking through all of the possibilities is definitely quite exciting. I've played very few 00s that I liked enough to ever want to own one (Circa being one of the exceptions). My personal preference would be to get something in the OM size realm. I have not played on of Jason's OMs, but I've played a Kraut and a Matsuda, and they are a really great combination of bass depth and expressiveness in the highs/mids. With a 15.75" lower bout, they are still big-ish guitars, afterall.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, Eric! I'm looking forward to watching the build thread. I have yet to play one of Jasons guitars but I hear amazing things. One of his students spoke to my students this week and had glowing things to say about him.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 11-03-2012, 08:12 AM

Congrats Eric! This will be another fun build to watch!

’11 Bashkin Belleza - GC (Cedar/Mahogany)
’89 Taylor 712
Takamine EN-50
ESP Ltd MV-200
Old 11-04-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
thanks for all the replies so far! Its really been a fun journey. Debating which woods, wondering which body sizes to go with, changing your mind here and there.

I think after 10 years of buying guitars and trying various high end makers, you tend to know more of what you want. Your ears become more specific and are looking for that one thing here or there. You want one characteristic from guitar A and another from guitar B. Then guitar C really sticks out for you and you want that too! Soon the list becomes too long and then you don't know what you want again!

The reality? No one guitar can do it all. Some can come close and others fall a bit short.

When I commissioned my first Kostal, as stated, I wanted that haunting Somogyi base, but the focus of my Ryan. I wanted a deep warm sound like my favorite cedar guitar without loosing the clarity you get from a nice spruce.

But then...... I played a newly built Traugott Model R. Wow, that thing was so different! Not better, but different. I wanted warm, bassy, and clear, and Jason delivered exactly what I asked. I didn't ask for crazy thick trebles that are so sterile but not harsh. But this Traugott was that. So I gave it a few months and then I had to play it again! And wow, did it really open up! Anyone who hasn't played Jeff's newer guitars, you really need to do yourself a favor and play one! So I spoke with Jeff at great lengths and was really on the fence of getting a new model R.

Thick trebles, clear and sterile, extremely balanced, without loosing focus. Thats a new guitar

So like anyone making a big purchase, I made a few calls and played a few more guitars. And then I called Jason..... I hate it when I do that (in a good way)

I was looking for this new guitar which was small body. I just spoke with him again and he said I could share our discussion.

At the 2009 Montreal Show, Robin Weber from Guitar Gallery mentioned the idea for a 00 guitar. Jason and her had a long conversation about it at the time and she commissioned a 00 back then. Since 2009, Jason has been working on the designs and facets of this guitar to produce a full body sound out of a small body guitar. This guitar will be finished for Robin in 2013 and will be released as a new model in Jason's offerings. He really wants Robin to have the first one because she was the one who envisioned it leading up to Montreal.

Now Gustav Fredell also has that small guitar that really intrigued me. It was kind of what I was looking for. I don't think Jason's new design is a response to that guitar, but more a response to Robin back in 2009. Robin was wanting to offer a smaller option to women clients and an 00 seemed like the right answer!

So now do I get an OM, or do I try out something a little smaller? Your thoughts? What would you like to see?
Not so much a dilemma, more an opportunity to have more guitars ;-)

As you may remember, I have an OM coming from Jason end '13/early '14. Added to that I recently tried the Gustav Fredell XS which I was really taken with. I therefore decided that I should get onto his build list ASAP. Get both - just do it!

Cheers
Vic
Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Thinking through all of the possibilities is definitely quite exciting. I've played very few 00s that I liked enough to ever want to own one (Circa being one of the exceptions). My personal preference would be to get something in the OM size realm.
I'm leaning more towards OM now, but am open to the option of even smaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicov View Post
I have an OM coming from Jason end '13/early '14. Added to that I recently tried the Gustav Fredell XS which I was really taken with. I therefore decided that I should get onto his build list ASAP. Get both - just do it!

Cheers
Vic
get both meaning one Fredell and a Kostal or two Kostals?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
get both meaning one Fredell and a Kostal or two Kostals?
Looks like you are getting three
Old 11-05-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I'm leaning more towards OM now, but am open to the option of even smaller
Hey Eric, I was thinking the same. I wanted something little smaller than OM, perhaps OOO size. Though, mod D is pretty awesome.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeM View Post
Looks like you are getting three
certainly looks like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonechoi View Post
Hey Eric, I was thinking the same. I wanted something little smaller than OM, perhaps OOO size. Though, mod D is pretty awesome.
well, I already have a Mod-D so smaller body it is! just which one

I think I have 3 votes for 00 and 1 for OM.

anyone else?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM

Default A new Journey in Life, a new guitar, a new Kostal! Brazilian/German ???

If its a voting thing I vote OM.

Unless you want different. If you want something different and special go 00. If you want something to get more mileage go OM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I'll go ahead and tie the OM vote. Based on the little bit of playing I've seen of yours and the descriptions I've read of the sorta tone you like, I think the OM is a better fit than a 00. Do we know if Jason's new 00 will be a 12 fret? If so, that might sway my opinion a bit . .trebles on a 12 fret can't be beat!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
. .trebles on a 12 fret can't be beat!
This man speaks the truth!

Cheers,
Steve
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop