The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-04-2012, 03:49 AM

Martin, Phil, Leon - UK Invasion! Thanks for stopping by.

To be honest, I'm not sure about ETA - I'm guessing around 3 months from now if the build has started? You're right - it's something I need to find out, not least because I will need to visit the bank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racman View Post
- thanks for sharing the build with us.

There was a time that I had my eye on that piece of ABW....
Seriously, it is my pleasure.

The ABW is interesting. As I say in my first post, I had intended this guitar to be in wenge. But Jason seemed convinced that ABW would make a phenomenal MD (interestingly, he didn't recommend it for a smaller guitar [eg the OM], where he felt it's qualities might not be best put to work). Anyway, he had two really great sets. This one, and one that Ervin Somogyi had hand-picked, and which then ended up in Jason's hands (don't ask me how!). I would really have liked to get the set that Ervin had chosen - seemed such a nice story, and I would have "elements" of Master and Pupil in my guitar. However, the bottom line was that I preferred this set since I thought it was very slightly better quartered, so I went with it. Function over sentimentality! The other set was very, very good as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
...mine is scheduled for a Healdsburg 2013 delivery, so it will be a while.
Billy Boy - what are you having built? Would love to hear about it - let's have a Jason love-in on this thread!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-04-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Anyway, he had two really great sets. This one, and one that Ervin Somogyi had hand-picked, and which then ended up in Jason's hands (don't ask me how!). I would really have liked to get the set that Ervin had chosen - seemed such a nice story, and I would have "elements" of Master and Pupil in my guitar.
That's the one I have so I am grateful you chose this one, but both look awesome.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racman View Post
That's the one I have so I am grateful you chose this one, but both look awesome.
Do ya know, I'd sorta worked that one out! Some sort of "sixth sense"? I think we must have been making our choices pretty much at the same time (i.e. about a year ago?).

What specs have you gone for - really interested to hear.

Do you want to post a pic of your set of ABW here? - I still have the JPEGS that Jason sent me when I was choosing so can do if you want me to.

cheers,
Steve
Old 03-04-2012, 08:05 AM

Yes it was about a year ago we were discussing it as well.

I will "pm" you with the specs as this is your build thread - mine is a looooooong way off
Old 03-04-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:

- let's have a Jason love-in on this thread!

Cheers,
Steve
Steve, I'm looking forward to seeing this come together. I did seriously consider going for an OM from Jason but eventually decided that I would be wiser to have something as far removed as possible from my Greenfield so have gone for the MD. German Spruce/Mad Rose, one piece neck, Florentine cutaway & Manzer Wedge. ETA is currently looking like early 2014.

Cheers
Vic
Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicov View Post
so have gone for the MD. German Spruce/Mad Rose, one piece neck, Florentine cutaway & Manzer Wedge.
...eh? I though you were going for an "Olson" flavor, which would also take you a long way from the Greenfield - i.e. a cedar top.

Did you play Jason's MD - German over Madrose; I loved it. Your proposed guitar sounds very similar.

I know what you mean about wanting something "different". As you know, I love Sobells and eventually ended up with two stellar examples. It didn't take me long to realise that if I sold one, I could have something else that was just as good, but different.

I played two great Bowns the other week - my OMX and a ziricote OM. The ultimate would have been a blend of the two, but that just doesn't happen IMHO. If you want a "big guitar" sound you need to buy a big guitar; ditto "little guitar". Your Greenfield and a big ol' MD will be a fab combo, and very complimentary. Same for Jonny and his MD - big, like his MS sig, but a very different sound indeed.

I can't wait to hear all these great instruments.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
...eh? I though you were going for an "Olson" flavor, which would also take you a long way from the Greenfield - i.e. a cedar top.

Did you play Jason's MD - German over Madrose; I loved it. Your proposed guitar sounds very similar.

I know what you mean about wanting something "different". As you know, I love Sobells and eventually ended up with two stellar examples. It didn't take me long to realise that if I sold one, I could have something else that was just as good, but different.

I played two great Bowns the other week - my OMX and a ziricote OM. The ultimate would have been a blend of the two, but that just doesn't happen IMHO. If you want a "big guitar" sound you need to buy a big guitar; ditto "little guitar". Your Greenfield and a big ol' MD will be a fab combo, and very complimentary. Same for Jonny and his MD - big, like his MS sig, but a very different sound indeed.

I can't wait to hear all these great instruments.

Cheers,
Steve
mmmmm, the Olson tone - I may just give in & keep my eye open for a well loved old one (unless you want someone to babysit your Traugott).
I did indeed play Jasons own MD & the Madagascar Rosewood for mine is the sister set, so they should sound pretty close.
Anyroad up, this is your build thread & I like others am looking forward to it developing into a 'monster'.

Cheers
Vic
Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 PM

Congratulations steveh on your Jason Kostal commission!! Last year I also commissioned a Modified Dread with Jason. I am deciding on the back & sides and am 90% sure about a set of BRW, but have a set of Macassar Ebony calling to me!!! I understand your dilemma, I have 2 other commissions with another builder. I am looking foward to your build thread...
Old 03-05-2012, 01:48 AM

Hey Steve,
great to see your builds have started, I'm excited for you and I'm looking forward to hearing you play them further down the road.

Hopefully these will tempt you back from those nasty nylon strung things!!

My Music

Solway Sunset - Free Album Download
Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommym View Post
Congratulations steveh on your Jason Kostal commission!! Last year I also commissioned a Modified Dread with Jason. I am deciding on the back & sides and am 90% sure about a set of BRW, but have a set of Macassar Ebony calling to me!!! I understand your dilemma, I have 2 other commissions with another builder. I am looking foward to your build thread...
if you need a great set of brazilian from Jason, this one stuck out to me a whole bunch! it was in my final two and it rang forever!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 03-05-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
if you need a great set of brazilian from Jason, this one stuck out to me a whole bunch! it was in my final two and it rang forever!

That's a nice set! Thanks for the heads up on that set. BTW, great build thread! I'll let you know on the final choice, and may PM you for advice.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's a nice set! Thanks for the heads up on that set. BTW, great build thread! I'll let you know on the final choice, and may PM you for advice.
if you don't snatch it up, I might use it for the next build!

Old 03-06-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Last year I also commissioned a Modified Dread with Jason. I am deciding on the back & sides and am 90% sure about a set of BRW, but have a set of Macassar Ebony calling to me!!! I understand your dilemma, I have 2 other commissions with another builder.
Hi - thanks for joining the thread. I know how you feel - I was very tempted by BRW but I'm trying to downscale a bit (I've sold two guitars to make way for this one) and forgoing BRW is part of that process.

Always nice to have builds on the go with different luthiers; I was very, very close to a build with Simon Fay, and then his list closed so that was that. In a way, I'm glad because the subsequent economy would have made that very difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markt View Post
Hey Steve,
great to see your builds have started, I'm excited for you and I'm looking forward to hearing you play them further down the road.

Hopefully these will tempt you back from those nasty nylon strung things!!
Hay Mark - nice to see you here! I've not heard a lot from you at "the other place" - I know you're very busy with work so thanks for taking time to stop by.

I'm afraid those "nylon strung things" really have their teeth into me at the moment, which is a pity because they are pigs to play - I guess that's what I like about them - they're a real challenge.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-06-2012, 01:17 PM

OK, so how does a bit of wood end up as a neck block?

Like this:

Then this:

this...

and finally this:

Like Ronald, "I'm Lovin' it"!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK, so how does a bit of wood end up as a neck block?

Like this:

Then this:

this...

and finally this:

Like Ronald, "I'm Lovin' it"!

Cheers,
Steve
steve, yours is darker than mine! Is Jason giving you a darker one to match your ABW?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop