The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-18-2021, 12:33 PM

Genzler Acoustic Array Pro or a Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 01-18-2021, 12:47 PM

Mesa Boogie Rosette (2x8)
Great amp, lots of features, and stunning to look at!
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 01-18-2021, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwphoto View Post
Flash forward to today. I picked up a Bugera AC60 when they were fairly new to the market & couldn't be happier. I got it because it was so light & had a headphone out so I can practice my effects & dial them in efficiently. I don't really sing through it, though, as I'm just playing guitar with a band these days & not really doing anything solo. That said, my K&K equipped guitars sound amazing through this little amp! I'm mostly using it as a monitor & running a DI to the board, but it would definitely work for a small room with no problem. When this pandemic starts winding down I may start doing some solo stuff again & can't wait to use this amp for that.
Frank
That little Bugera is great, I love mine. So does my musical collaborator in Pittsburgh lol. I left it at her house for some reason in February last year (now I remember, I was going to see Danny Seraphine and California Transit Authority out there a month later and was going to pick it up then). The rest is history: We all essentially got stranded by the pandemic, and then she used it for a couple of outdoor events, and now she uses it all the time for livestreaming and stuff. She's a vocalist and keyboard player, and again, considering how small it is, it's amazing how great her keys sound through it (vocals as well).

Which is a long way of saying I'm selling it to her and her husband (also a musician, and band leader), and buying one to replace it ASAP. Very possibly today, since I don't know how long the great discount down to $199 will last. P.S. If you search for Bugera AC60 cover on eBay, there's a guy who still sells custom covers for it. It's pricey at $60 but well-padded, fits like a glove, and sure love it when I toss that amp into the back of an SUV jostling around other equipment. Oh and there's a cheaper one now from someone else, just over $30. Shows you what a following it has.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I surprised EAE hasn't been mentioned yet. I've never heard one, but they seem to get a lot of love here on the forum. They certainly have a cool mixer built onboard and can be had with battery power. I'd like to try one someday.
Agree. Although I've never played one there are a few diehard fans here that love them. I can say that I use the EAE StompMix X6 digital mixer which is exactly what is inside their D6-8 and similar amps. So this would basically be a combination of my Bose S1 with the X6 integrated into one amp. If we every decide to get away from the modularity of the Bose S1 then I could easily see going to something like this.

My first acoustic amp was a Genz Benz Shenandoah 85 which was just an outstanding sounding amp. But I think the 85 stood for 85 pounds! I've also used Fishman SA220, Loudbox Mini and Artist, Carvin AG200 and QSC k8.2. Quite frankly, all were great.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:54 PM

Either straight into the house PA, or through the Hotone Loudster pedal on pedal board, which is a 75 watts power amp about 10 cm by 20 cm.

www.tupelolime.com
https://tupelolime.bandcamp.com/
Old 01-20-2021, 11:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've never played an AER, but I've heard they're fab -- and I like stuff made in Germany.

sm
Old 01-21-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I use the Kustom PA-50. It is a good amp for half the price of most of the other name brands. I get along well with it.
Half? More like 25% of a acoustic amp, I've got both the PA50 and the battery version of the PA50 both sound good for acoustic and vocals but you will need a mixer and effects of your choice
PA50 $99
Battery version. $149
Old 01-22-2021, 06:43 AM

I've only owned a few acoustic
guitar amps. The aer c60-3
Sounded great for guitar.
But I couldnt get the vocal sound
I wanted. I bought it more as
A mini pa. It didnt do that well
enough. I sold it and bought a
EAE d68 mk2. Its 80 watts
Has 6 ch,fx, and I'm able
To send a separate eq'd feed
To a powered speake if need be.
Sound is stellar. And its battery powered. I also use a qsc cp8
With a schertler sub.
The sub is small and crosses over at
200hz. Which puts alot of acoustic
Guitar low end there. Which sounds
Pretty good.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:18 AM

I had Fender, Schertler, Fishman, AER.. Schertler was the best (I had three, Giulia, David and Unico). Now I use a Daedalus cabinet S-82 (25yrs old) which I bought on Reverb powered by a little 300W Bose poweramp (installed inside the cabinet). It’s heavy but pretty portable, not that expensive at the end, beautiful to look at and especially I have never found any better musical amp than this. It makes AER&co sound like a cheap radio.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Had a Boss Katana and a couple electrics when Corona hit. Went acoustic for comfort. Bought a nice Taylor, 814ce Dlx that sucked through the Katana. Started researching and the Mesa Rosette story intrigued me. Mesa decided to venture into acoustic amp land and hired the Genz Benz designer. He used the Taylor ES 2 as one of the design inputs. Found a local mom and pop selling off their floor display for 1/3 off list. Got the cream colored 2x8. Got it home. Plugged in. Read the manual 20 minutes later had the eq set. Haven’t touched the settings in 6 months. Very very happy with this Taylor/Mesa combo. Play daily. Use the amp frequently while I explore looping. Or acoustic rock.

Highly recommend this amp.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:51 AM
Musical minimalist

I may ruffle some feathers here, but I've never understood spending 4-500 or more on an acoustic amp.

I have a Mackie Profx8 v2, a pair of Alto TX210's and a decent pair of stands for them and have less than 500 into the whole thing.

If you are doing something small, just take one speaker along....they weigh about 15 lbs each I believe.

So much more versatile, and greater coverage when you need it.

Just makes sense to me!

PS. I've had a pair of Ultrasound AG50D's here and prefer the current setup.

Last edited by fitness1; 01-22-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I may ruffle some feathers here, but I've never understood spending 4-500 or more on an acoustic amp.

I have a Mackie Profx8 v2, a pair of Alto TX210's and a decent pair of stands for them and have less than 500 into the whole thing.

If you are doing something small, just take one speaker along....they weigh about 15 lbs each I believe.

Just makes sense to me!

I totally agree with you..my qsc k12.2 with mixer is killer.. but the idea of an acoustic amp is...it is voiced specifically for an acoustic instrument and a mixer is built in...some with feedback controls, phase reverse, phantom power, parametric eq, DI out, use it as a monitor, etc, etc... they have their advantages. But again, totally understand where you are coming from.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:15 PM

Realistically, I'll never be playing in front of many people. Maybe an open mike night, or small party. I'm thinking of a Fender Acoustasonic15. Two channels, so I could sing and play my acoustic. Five year transferable warranty, cabinet of five ply plywood.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:07 AM

I agree with fitness 1
Picked up an Alto TX210 for $140. One speaker is plenty loud and incredibly light! Paired with a Mackie ProFX12 V3 for $330. Total around $500 with stand and cable. If you need bluetooth you can pick up a bluetooth receiver for less than $100. How can anyone justify spending $1,200 for the Bose L1Pro8? Unless the app/bluetooth is worth the extra $$$

Last edited by wweiss; 01-23-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Yet another in agreement with the wisdom of Todd. I've had a number of amps through, and all sounded good and were adequate. But none really compare with just a basic powered speaker and a pedal or two. I picked up a used older model LD Systems GT12a for about $225. Scored a discounted EAE Stompmix4 for $200. It's an exceptional sounding system. Add a decent preamp (I picked up a used Baggs GigPro for a song) and maybe some vocal effects (again...used Boss VE-2 for pretty cheap), and it covers everything I've ever needed and sounds superb. I've never owned an amp that -- to my ears -- could even remotely compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post

Just makes sense to me!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification