The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Default My First Commission!

I’m commissioning my first guitar—an all-mahogany “0”-sized 12-fret slot-head. This started all quite by accident really… I had met the builder (Raymond Morin) some months ago and was impressed with him immediately. First, he is a very easy to like and personable individual. Second, Raymond is an outstanding player. And lastly, he has a passion for guitars and guitar building that is infectious to say the least.

He invited me to see his small shop and look at a build he had in progress, and I was really impressed with what I saw. Although clearly a working shop, it was organized and very clean. We talked about his approach to building and a variety of other things; but, when I saw his work in progress, it became very obvious that he has a high level of skill to accompany his passion…the work was meticulous. Raymond’s guitars—at least those I know of to date—are quite traditional looking, with an emphasis on procuring the best materials available and constructing a guitar that will produce great tone.

So, when I decided I wanted an all-solid-mahogany small-bodied guitar, and began thinking about the possibility of commissioning one, Raymond immediately came to mind. He enthusiastically accepted and was excited by the opportunity, since he really likes mahogany, but had not yet built an all-hog guitar. We started bouncing a few ideas off each other, but aside from a few minor “must-have” details for me, I decided to leave the important stuff up to Raymond.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 02-02-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: deleted pics no longer linked...
Old 11-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

congrats on the commission!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 11-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Nice the way it so easily seemed to come together. Build threads are really enjoyable to follow. Have fun with the process!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 PM

congratulations
Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 AM

It's really quite a unique experience to connect with a luthier and their guitars. Seeing where and how it all comes together, and knowing who you're supporting with your purchase help make it a special experience. Congrats on the commission, and I hope you end up with a guitar to enjoy for many years to come.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:18 PM

Default Thanks

From every small maker, thanks for doing this. Congrats!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanzoneGuitars View Post
From every small maker, thanks for doing this. Congrats!
How nice...and you're very welcome! A part of my decision was to try and support a talented young maker just getting started (I think my guitar will officially be his 8th or 9th?). HOWEVER, Raymond and his craftsmanship made it a very easy decision for me. Had I not been as impressed as I was with his passion, his skill, and his work, I would not have moved forward.

Everyone needs a break once in awhile, and I believe if you are dedicated and hard-working that you should get one; so, I would encourage everyone to consider looking at a small maker for their next (or first) commission. We all know of the "big boys", but someone gave them a break once too. I'm truly excited to be a small part of Raymond Morin's journey as a guitar maker. Best of luck to you too on your journey!

Martin 000-28EC

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 11-06-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: verbiage
Old 11-06-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
It's really quite a unique experience to connect with a luthier and their guitars. Seeing where and how it all comes together, and knowing who you're supporting with your purchase help make it a special experience. Congrats on the commission, and I hope you end up with a guitar to enjoy for many years to come.
Very well said !

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux
Old 11-07-2013, 11:41 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I have an all hog Martin that is really cool, I think you'll like yours. I also have a build pending with a new-ish luthier so I can appreciate supporting the new guys.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Default Update - Raymond Morin All-Hog 0-sized 12-fret

Moved to new thread for clarification...

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 02-02-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Moved to new thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop