The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-27-2014, 02:42 AM

Default Fredell Model L

I usually only lurk here. I'm just so excited that I have chosen to have a custom build by Gustav Fredell. The guitar will be a Model L, which is on the larger side.

This link will lead to the exact specs of the guitar. I will post an official build thread when it it time for my build in 2015. Now I can only post pics of the back and sides that I have chosen. The guitar will be using African Blackwood.

Top: Mastergrade Euro Moon Spruce or Adi (haven't yet decided)
Back and sides: Mastergrade African Blackwood
FanFret: 25"-25.75"
Fingerboard: African Blackwood
Bridge: African Blackwood
Soundport: Oval with binding
Tuners: Gotoh 510Z cosmos
Pickup: K&K trinity solo

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by limsinsiang; 01-27-2014 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-27-2014, 06:33 AM

Ooh that back looks very nice. Not often you see a piece of ABW that is so nicely figured.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:03 PM

Very nice woods!

I played an "M" last week at TAMCO in the UK that I was very impressed by; definitely had that built in "reverb" that Somogyi's disciples seem to strive for. Very light guitar as well. Although it was the "M" model, it felt like a relatively small guitar to me, so perhaps the "L" won't feel so much on the large side?

I have a pal who owns an XS, also in ABW like yours, and he's ecstatic about it. I'll get to play it in a couple of weeks and am really looking forward to it. He knows his onions so if he says it's fabulous, it will be.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-27-2014, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

congrats on the commission! I love African Blackwood and can't wait to see this build come together!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 01-27-2014, 04:56 PM

You are going to love it!

The two guitars I have from Gustav are spectacular, as is the custom order Steve H mentioned, I have a couple more on order for stock and another customer order.

Here's a few photos.

Last edited by Trevor M; 01-27-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcrumble View Post
Ooh that back looks very nice. Not often you see a piece of ABW that is so nicely figured.
Thank you, yes I think it looks nicest of the lot and Gustav said it had the best tap tone. From the hires pics, you can see the grain lines are almost straight. 100% quartersawn!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Very nice woods!

I played an "M" last week at TAMCO in the UK that I was very impressed by; definitely had that built in "reverb" that Somogyi's disciples seem to strive for. Very light guitar as well. Although it was the "M" model, it felt like a relatively small guitar to me, so perhaps the "L" won't feel so much on the large side?

I have a pal who owns an XS, also in ABW like yours, and he's ecstatic about it. I'll get to play it in a couple of weeks and am really looking forward to it. He knows his onions so if he says it's fabulous, it will be.

Cheers,
Steve
Thank you on the comments! I play a small jumbo at home so I have a preference for bigger sounding guitars. The size is just right for me. A bonus is the Manzer wedge comes standard in the "L" model, so it will make the guitar feel even smaller.

You guys are so lucky to have access to many good guitars there as I'm in Taiwan so not much access to the custom guitars. I believe the ABW XS will be great! Is that the one with images and videos floating on the internet?

Cheers
Siang
Old 01-27-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
congrats on the commission! I love African Blackwood and can't wait to see this build come together!
Thanks! I'll definitely do the build thread!!!!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
You are going to love it!

The two guitars I have from Gustav are spectacular, as is the custom order Steve H mentioned, I have a couple more on order for stock and another customer order.

Here's a few photos.

Your pics are to die for!!! You cannot imagine the drool now!
Your site and it's pictures are the ones that I visit frequently.
I know that Gustav has many orders now as the told me the queue is now up to 30 months! His business is booming now and I think all the Somogyi disciples all have massive queues. Somogyi really know how to pick them.

Cheers
Siang
Old 01-28-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcrumble View Post
Hahahaha I had totally meant quartered. Not often you see a piece of ABW so nicely quartered.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:23 PM

That's some nice bearclaw!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
That's some nice bearclaw!
Yeah, I saw Gustav's stash and there are mighty fine woods in there! I saw an exceptionally straight BRW in the lot too, too bad I prefer the ABW sound to BRW or I might have gotten the set. It was really straight 100% quartered, don't see those anymore floating around. My ABW is 100% quartered too, I think it's also really hard to get those kind of boards whether it be ABW or BRW now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop