The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2024, 01:47 PM

Default Used guitar neck reset general concern

Hello all,
I'm in the market for a used D-18 "tribute" guitar. I'm thinking Alvarez, Eastman or the like. The guitar will be left at my daughters home which I visit for a couple months a year, so I don't want a significant investment (and I already have a lot of money tied up in guitars). Shooting for around $500, $750 max.

There are a lot of used samples from the 70s through the 90s that look pretty good...but...should I be concerned about neck bridge stability? I've heard some bad stories about Martins...like to expect to have it reset in [25] years.

I know the basics that the instrument should currently have a good neck angle and action without the bridge having been overly reduced. But since it will moving to a new climate situation (hot and dry California) I'm worried it could quickly go south even if good. I'm in my 60s, but would still like to not have to worry for 10 years. A lot of these guitars never even had a case.

Any thoughts, experience is appreciated. Any brands to look out for either way?
Old 03-22-2024, 02:17 PM

have you considered looking for one already in California to avoid the humidity changes?
Old 03-22-2024, 02:40 PM

Yup. Looking there and a couple prospects. But I’ve had good luck with both reverb and guitar center used, so more prospects. I also appreciate delivery instead of trying to set up a long drive.
Leaving April 3 so maybe putting in a more rush job than necessary. But still I did see a 70s sample that looked good but 40 years old?????
Old 03-22-2024, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbflyer View Post
Hello all,
I'm in the market for a used D-18 "tribute" guitar. I'm thinking Alvarez, Eastman or the like. The guitar will be left at my daughters home which I visit for a couple months a year, so I don't want a significant investment (and I already have a lot of money tied up in guitars). Shooting for around $500, $750 max.

Any thoughts, experience is appreciated. Any brands to look out for either way?
I own a Martin D18. I would look at this Alvarez: https://manchestermusicmill.com/alva...vintage-burst/

I have played this model and it's an excellent D18 tribute.

They also have a modified used one:
https://manchestermusicmill.com/alva...es-x2600-used/

$429.00 could be a steal to fit the want/need you described.

I know this shop very well. They are excellent. I've purchased several new and used guitars there. They welcome calls to answer questions.

GM's name is Craig. Or just ask for Ben or Thomas in acoustic sales.

I have no business affiliation; just a long time customer.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

The eventual need for a neck reset isn’t a Martin thing, it has to do with how lightly or heavily built the guitar’s box is (absent some special reinforcement like the carbon fiber rods Tim McKnight installs, etc.). It’s easy to build a guitar box so that it will never need its neck reset—just build it like a tank. Unfortunately, it won’t sound so great. Lots of guitars from the 1970s need resets, but the cost of a rest is greater than the cost of the guitar. I had a Yamaha from 1992 that needed a neck reset, but there was no point in fixing it.
Old 03-22-2024, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

A neck reset every 25 years? Sounds like every guitar ever made. The question is, do you want to burn that $700 guitar in 20 or 30 years? You won't spend the money on that. Buy something like a D 18 and in 25 years having a neck reset will seem like a very good idea.

Why would you not pick one of your nice guitars to take, then be happy for the two or three months you get to play it?
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-22-2024, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Here’s a discussion with Ian Davlin, the head of the service department at Lark Street Music (who came up with a heat stick that allows epoxied necks to be removed), discussing neck resets on inexpensive guitars (followed by other related topics). The link should take you to the point in the discussion:

Shop Talk 24 Live Stream with Ian Davlin
Old 03-22-2024, 07:13 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

If you can find one, an Alvarez Yairi DY57 is a pretty sweet D18 style guitar...
Old 03-22-2024, 07:43 PM

Default a thought

Divergent idea: Send one of the guitars in OP's collection to daughter's house. But whatever instrument makes the trip, it needs to be one that ignores the effects of many months in unattended storage. Hard-shell case seems a good idea, too. Less emphasis on TONE!! and more on storage stability.

Maybe one of Martin's HPL instruments?
Old 03-22-2024, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

The need for a neck reset doesn't pop up overnight. Buy an instrument with a good neck set, tune down the strings before you go back home, and the neck angle will probably never change. It's not age that does it, it's the tension and you have control over that if you are only using it 2 months out of the year.

Humidity is another story but older instruments tend to be more stable in that regard.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbflyer View Post
Hello all,
I'm in the market for a used D-18 "tribute" guitar. I'm thinking Alvarez, Eastman or the like. The guitar will be left at my daughters home which I visit for a couple months a year, so I don't want a significant investment (and I already have a lot of money tied up in guitars). Shooting for around $500, $750 max. . . . Any thoughts, experience is appreciated. Any brands to look out for either way?
Based on criteria of dreadnaught body, structurally sound, unlikely to require an expensive neck reset, I’d suggest a Taylor 210.
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 03-23-2024, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
A neck reset every 25 years? Sounds like every guitar ever made.
My dad's 70+ year old Martin classical guitar never had a neck reset and is very playable. Though they're not standard wood guitars, I've had my Applause 6 string and Ovation 12 string for over 40 years, always kept in standard tuning and moved all around the US from coast to coast. Never had a neck reset on either and both still have comfortable low action.

My Eastman archtop and Altamira M20D were both built in 2007 and neither is anywhere close to needing a neck reset. My other guitars were built in 2017 or later so it's too early to say.

I'd be interested to hear from other players with guitars that required a neck reset in 25 years or less. I'm not sure it's that common.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 03-23-2024, 06:14 AM

Slap some mediums on a lightly built guitar, play it aggressively and often. You will eventually need a neck reset.

I'm liking bolt on necks more and more these days. Just more to play with there when getting the perfect action and saddle height. Cheaper and easier to get done

You don't have to be a highly skilled Luthier to reset the neck
Old 03-23-2024, 07:35 AM

Alvarez, Yamaha, Eastman, Blueridge, Recording King. Those with all-solid woods sound best I think, and those with solid tops and laminated back and sides can be almost as good. If you buy one that's more recent you have a better likelihood of no neck reset or other major repairs needed soon (bridge replacement for example), and many D-18 types are available in your price range. I'm assuming you may need to buy sight-unseen. Whether you buy a more recent one or an older one (Alvarez etc.) you can most likely protect yourself from a near-term reset or other major repair expense if you encounter an informed seller who can take accurate measurements for you: relief, 12th fret action, height of strings from the soundboard at the bridge, bridge height above soundboard at 3rd and 4th strings, height of saddle above bridge. If all of the geometry is good and you can trust the seller to assure that, you can buy with confidence. Detailed photos can also tell a lot about the guitar’s geometry if the seller is unable to take all of those measurements.

Last edited by PaulVA; 03-23-2024 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:05 AM

Thanks all for the feedback. When I bought my d28 last guitar for life (famous last words) I was looking for a d18ge but stumbled on the d-28 deal on the way. So got some remaining gas for a d-18 and thought this a good rational fora new “girlfriend”. Plus I love the hunt and kill for a new guitar..does it ever go away? I just can’t justify another multi k guitar and really only considering used.

So off to guitar center to investigate the Asian talent for reference. But also to check out a Taylor 210.

You calmed me about the neck. Even if it’s 30+ years old and the neck is good (look real close) I won’t worry bout it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion