The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-16-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Is the H4 too good to be true?

Is this zoom H4 really all it's cracked up to be guys and gals? I mean am I going to be happy with the sound if I buy it? Will it work plugged straight into my power mixer at gigs? I don't know I have just had some really bad experiences with recording equipment so far.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsimmen View Post
Is this zoom H4 really all it's cracked up to be guys and gals?
Hi ZS...
Yes, it pretty much is.

Quote:
I mean am I going to be happy with the sound if I buy it?
That one only you will be able to answer...
Quote:
Will it work plugged straight into my power mixer at gigs?
If you learn how to use it and hook it up correctly and set the levels properly, yes...
It will take work on your part, because nothing is problem free or that easy if it is worth it. You will need to read the manual, take some precautions, and do some preliminary work, and if you do it is a solid performing unit.

We are not getting any kickbacks from Zoom for giving it glowing reviews, and I sold my M-box to make room for the H4 in my recording life (it has replaced the M-box and my mini-digital notetakers). I rely on an H4 several times per week to record exercises at lessons for students, and to do remote jobs which I sometimes get paid for.

I recently recorded a friend's song which was played at his daughter's wedding with it, and that was pretty critical work.

It's not a magic box, it is a field recorder that can also serve as a computer interface and record multi-track. There are other pieces of gear which can do these same jobs, but few as easily. The Sony can, but it costs over $1400 more.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-16-2007, 07:24 PM
RednekHippieMotrcycleFrk

Larry knows what he's talking about. Now you can hear from somebody who doesn't know much. That would be me. I got one for Christmas. It is a very cool tool. The sound quality is very good. I have better recording equipment than it probably should be, but I can say this. Nothing will get you recording high quality sound quicker or easier than the H4. I might have read one page of the manual (Larry probably guessed that already), but I was using the H4 in less time than it took to install the batteries and memory card. You won't find anything that works this well for this kind of dough. I like mine.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsimmen View Post
Is this zoom H4 really all it's cracked up to be guys and gals?
My new H4 was waiting for me when I got home from work tonight. 30 minutes out of the box I recorded my first tune! You can hear it here:

http://people.virginia.edu/~rag4v/tunes/ (Goin' Ahead Excerpt, 814ce LTD, Zoom H4)

The only thing I set was auto gain to ON and pushed the record button. There's *TONS* more to learn about it but it really is that easy.

Sound Files o Taylor 814ce Fall LTD (2006), Heritage Custom Eagle Classic (2001), Tacoma CC10e4 (2001), Yamaha CLP150 (2005), Yamaha KX49 (2009)
Old 01-16-2007, 08:48 PM

Wow. I want one.
David's CDs
Old 01-16-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz'n'Such View Post
My new H4 was waiting for me when I got home from work tonight. 30 minutes out of the box I recorded my first tune! You can hear it here:

http://people.virginia.edu/~rag4v/tunes/ (Goin' Ahead Excerpt, 814ce LTD, Zoom H4)

The only thing I set was auto gain to ON and pushed the record button. There's *TONS* more to learn about it but it really is that easy.

Tasty, man, tasty!
2006 Martin OMC-AURA
1972 Ovation Folklore
1969 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe
1998 Spector NS2-4 Bass
1970 Sigma DR-7
1965 Welson Acoustic
1999 Baby Taylor
2006 Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk

Mesa Boogie Mark IV...Maple/Wicker
The Original Pignose
MBox Pro Tools Studio
Neumann 103
Old 01-16-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:

Hey Some nice playing there! And it sounds good - is that with what type of input - mic or direct plug in or what? Nice songs.

Also what's the 814CE LTD tonewoods?
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII Cedar/Mahogany BS | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)
Old 01-17-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksInTheory View Post
Hey Some nice playing there! And it sounds good - is that with what type of input - mic or direct plug in or what? Nice songs.

Also what's the 814CE LTD tonewoods?
Thanks! That was recorded using the H4's built-in mics with the unit sitting about 18 inches directly in front of me. The 814ce LTD is Madagascar rosewood (b&s) and Sitka Spruce (t). The guitar's a couple months old and its got 2 week old Pearse 600L strings on it.

Sound Files o Taylor 814ce Fall LTD (2006), Heritage Custom Eagle Classic (2001), Tacoma CC10e4 (2001), Yamaha CLP150 (2005), Yamaha KX49 (2009)

Last edited by Jazz'n'Such; 01-17-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:37 AM

Did someone say "auto gain". Holy smokes, what could be easier than that? I hope its not like the one-size-fits-all input on my Zoom A2, though. I have to be careful to keep the input signal within an optimum level. I'll get a compressed, clacky sounding result with an overly hot input signal. Aside from that, the A2 is far more useful than any $100 piece of gear has a right to be. That's one factor which helped convince me to go ahead and order the H4.

I have three DAT machines which have all been repaired at least once, and each of the repairs cost me more than the price of an H4. Two of those DAT recorders are down again, so it was easy for me to do the math. If the H4 is half as good as its rep, it will provide an inexpensive and pleasant introduction to computer recording - in addition to assuming some of the duties of my antiquated, barely functioning project studio. 21st century, here I come.

Gary
Old 01-17-2007, 11:12 AM

Am a recording noob, but echo all of the positive comments above.

Easy to use, and exceptional sound quality for the price.

My only dissapointment was realizing that 4trk recorder didn't mean 4 inputs at once.

But, still worth the money, easily.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 01-17-2007, 11:23 AM

How many imputs are there on the H4?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
30 minutes out of the box I recorded my first tune!
That was what has attracted me so much.

BTW, you've got some cool stuff on your site.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosine View Post
How many imputs are there on the H4?
i think everyone is saying two inputs BUt you can dump it and do two more and record 4 tracks total remotely.
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII Cedar/Mahogany BS | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)
Old 01-17-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksInTheory View Post
i think everyone is saying two inputs BUt you can dump it and do two more and record 4 tracks total remotely.
Two internal mics and two dual purpose XLR / 1/4 inch jacks.

You cant record with the internals and externals at the same time.

You can record as many tracks as you want, (2 at a time max), and then mix up to 4 at one time in the H4.

Although it would be pretty tedious I would think.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell