The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-15-2007, 07:33 PM

Default I need help recording!

I would like to start recording live shows and gigs... and right now all that I use is Cubase LE and a mic attatched to my laptop which does not produce a very great quality sound... i was wondering how i could record straight out of my PA system... right now i have a peavey power mixer and when i plug that into my computer the music just is loud and unbearable... i tried presonus with firewire which didn't work cause my computer does not take firewire... so now i don't know what to do. somebody help! thanks everyone... by the way i'm new to this site and this place is awesome...

Zack
Old 01-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsimmen View Post
I would like to start recording live shows and gigs... and right now all that I use is Cubase LE and a mic attatched to my laptop which does not produce a very great quality sound... i was wondering how i could record straight out of my PA system... right now i have a peavey power mixer and when i plug that into my computer the music just is loud and unbearable... i tried presonus with firewire which didn't work cause my computer does not take firewire... so now i don't know what to do. somebody help! thanks everyone... by the way i'm new to this site and this place is awesome...
Hi Zack...
Part of the answer is to simplify your recording rig and the other is learn how to properly use it.

If you hired me to record you live, I'd bring in my Zoom H4 and plug some outputs of your mixer into my H4, adjust the volumes and record live on the fly.

This is an H4...

That would save me dragging in a computer, interface, firing up the software and trying to monitor the computer at the same time you were playing.

Also, your firewire rig will work if you have a PC that accepts PCI cards. Just buy a Firewire card for your computer and your are then up and running with the Presonus rig you already bought (unless you sold, returned or gave it away).

The H4 weighs less than half pound and fits in my pants pocket. I can use only it to record remotely, and one set of AA batteries last 4 hours and a 2GB card records 3.5 hours of CD quality sound. It's pretty freeing.

Later I'd just dump the files I created on the fly into my computer and edit them for length, overall volume levels and any other effect I chose. If no editing is required they could be drag/dropped into your burning program and burned to CDr.

With 2-4 hours of experimenting with recording a couple of practice sessions, you would be recording like a seasoned veteran. Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-16-2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: more info pertaining to the original thought of the thread...
Old 01-16-2007, 12:25 PM

Lj - thanks for posting this, especially the photo. I have wondered what this Zoom 4 is that people are mentioning. I've never seen one.

Is that ok for those mikes to be so close or is that only when transporting?

Can you briefly explain whether I'd benefit from using Firewire on my computer. I am using a PC running Cubase SL with a Tascam US-122 pre amp/ soundcard/midi thingy which connects via USB.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 01-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystrack View Post
Lj - thanks for posting this, especially the photo. I have wondered what this Zoom 4 is that people are mentioning. I've never seen one.

Is that ok for those mikes to be so close or is that only when transporting?

Can you briefly explain whether I'd benefit from using Firewire on my computer. I am using a PC running Cubase SL with a Tascam US-122 pre amp/ soundcard/midi thingy which connects via USB.
Hi RayStrack...
The mics are in a fixed X/Y configuration, and yes they are ok that way.

It is one of the stock stereo micing configurations, and a useful one.

I'm not sure you would benefit with Firewire for two track recording (says the man who uses Firewire for about everything). It is more useful with video than audio, or in audio recording when you are doing 8-16 inputs simultaneously while playing back the 8 you have already recorded with effects on them - in other words high end studio work.

For a 2 track recording rig, if you have adequate RAM (double what the computer needs to run), then USB will work fine.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-16-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: image added later
Old 01-16-2007, 03:45 PM

Thanks a lot that sounds great and thanks for all of the detailed information but is there any way to hear what the music sounds like going into the H4 like a pair of headphones or something to tell if i'm recording at the correct levels?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell