The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-20-2023, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Take a tour of Ireland with Alistair Hay...

FYI https://mailchi.mp/6d7942959a53/emer...4?e=c920fe72b7
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-20-2023, 05:18 PM

Can’t wait for this, it’s a great opportunity and should be a lot of fun!
Old 12-20-2023, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

This sounds like a fabulous trip. Sadly, we won’t be attending - adding up the cost for two of us, including flights, produces an eye-watering total. We can take a lot of road trips here in the US for the price of admission.

Please note, because I know how comments like this can be taken here, that I’m not saying it’s overpriced. It’s just too expensive for me
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-20-2023, 06:20 PM

I showed the video to my wife and she was pretty excited until the last pictures of folks gigging and the promise of several jam sessions. She gets enough of that at home. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop trying! I think it would be a fascinating trip for just about anyone and a bucket list trip for Emerald owners.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 12-20-2023, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
I showed the video to my wife and she was pretty excited until the last pictures of folks gigging and the promise of several jam sessions. She gets enough of that at home. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop trying! I think it would be a fascinating trip for just about anyone and a bucket list trip for Emerald owners.
Go for it! My wife actually thought the per-person charge was reasonable considering what was on offer, and I’d agree - but airfares make it out of reach for us.

Keep trying
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-20-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Go for it! My wife actually thought the per-person charge was reasonable considering what was on offer, and I’d agree - but airfares make it out of reach for us.

Keep trying
David,
You don't have to convince me! My oldest daughter graduates from college on May 9th, so scheduling was my biggest concern. It's not cheap but I certainly don't think it's overpriced. Just sent the link to two of my guitar playing buddies, both retired and both better of than me. If I went with them my trip cost is suddenly cut in half and I can stay up late and participate in the jam sessions and staying properly hydrated!
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Emerald X20 Woody
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah

Last edited by Ruppster; 12-20-2023 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I plunked down our deposit last night, so “in for a penny, in for a pound” as the saying goes. Yes, it’s a bit spendy to go from the U.S., but we’re treating it as our vacation for a lifetime.

I have been to Ireland 3 times previously. All three were in the West, flying into Shannon and staying on that side of the country.

This will be my first time to be in Dublin as well as Donegal. Very excited for all of the top notch accommodations, food, music, etc. I am 2nd generation Irish. My maternal grandmother was born and raised in Limerick, and I still have cousins that live there. My Irish ancestry is very important and a proud thing for me.

I look forward to meeting Alistair and Kim in person, and experiencing the tremendous event they have planned for those of us fortunate enough to attend.

Cheers!
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 12-20-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhelan56 View Post
My wife and I plunked down our deposit last night, so “in for a penny, in for a pound” as the saying goes. Yes, it’s a bit spendy to go from the U.S., but we’re treating it as our vacation for a lifetime.

Cheers!
GOOD FOR YOU! Another cool part of this trip could be meeting other AGFers and raising a pint to the brotherhood.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Emerald X20 Woody
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 12-20-2023, 08:33 PM

It sounds like a good trip, if I flew commercially any longer. Ireland is on my list of places that I'd like to visit someday. It would be wonderful to meet Alistair and Kim and to tour the factory.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

We would love to go. But, issues with senior family members rules it out for the time being. Maybe next year. And, I figure I would have to add the cost of an Emerald into the equation. 😁
Old 12-20-2023, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
.... I figure I would have to add the cost of an Emerald into the equation.
That is always a risk. They will let you take delivery of your guitar for the trip, then return it back to the factory for shipping home. At least they have done that in the past. The FAQ's also mention the availability of a loaner guitar while in Ireland. That would save some complication and worry during the cross-Atlantic travel. Besides, I would think that your outstanding koa guitar would insulate you from GAS to some degree....
Old 12-22-2023, 11:41 AM

It's really tempting, I would really love to go back to Ireland after 25 years, fast moving skies, loud pubs, the smell of the sea. But above all, visit the factory of the guitars I like most in the world and meet Alistair and everyone who works at Emerald. People I feel close to, even though I don't know them personally. But not only that, playing and singing with them and with you, ambassadors of Emerald and AGF. Honestly, it's beyond my current financial means. But even if I could, at the end of May I will also be busy with a titanic undertaking linked to my other love, cycling, I signed up for the Tuscany Trail and I absolutely must try to get as fit and trained as possible (at least I hope). If this trip happens again next year I will try to save as much as possible to join. It will be nice to see the videos of those who have had the opportunity to participate. I can't wait.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber