The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-13-2023, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X10 string gauge?

I have an X10 in production and it seems they set up their guitars for 12s.

I've been using 9s on both my Taylor (acoustic strings) and my Strat. I like the way you can bend them all over the place.

Do any of you guys use 9s, or even 10s on yours? My X10 will have the Hyvibe and no other pickups.

I'm wondering what I should ask for as far as strings and setup for strings.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2023, 08:19 PM

Jo, I would let them do their standard setup, which these days will be done using a Plek machine. If you choose to go much lighter later on, the worst case is a minor truss rod adjustment (and even that is unlikely with these really stiff CF necks). But if they cut the slots for 9's and you one day decide to go 11 or 12, the nut slots might need to be widened -- a bit tricky. There is no harm if the slots are too wide to start, within reason.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

That's just what I needed to hear. What you're saying makes great sense. Thanks!!
Jo
Old 12-14-2023, 10:43 AM

My recent X10 has both a short scale (24.5") and factory set-up for light strings (11's). Since you are already accustomed to even lighter strings, I would strongly suggest that you have it set-up for lighter (less than 12's) strings. It's FAR better to have Emerald do it at the factory than some local tech.

I'm primarily an electric player, and my X10 is still significantly more difficult to play than my electrics, despite the shorter scale and light strings. I might consider 10's if I had to do it again.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:59 PM

I would wonder about the intonation the most. Heavier strings require the saddle to be further back, so using lighter strings will make everything flat as you move up the neck. I have a 2012 X7-OS that was probably meant to use 13s, and I can tell you that when I use 11s the intonation up the neck is TERRIBLE, with all the strings flat - even using a straight saddle with the break on the leading edge.

In contrast my 2009 CA GX has excellent intonation even when using 10s, so maybe the short scale is the issue?
Old 01-01-2024, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

After consulting Kevin, I'm having Emerald set up my X10 with 10-52s. Thanks for your advice, guys!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber