The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-23-2023, 12:31 PM

Hey Groberts, my X30's top is maple. Your X20 is gorgeous! What wood is it? Koa?

Funny, I was debating getting one of the red X30s at the 25% sale, but, wasn't sure I could live with the color, so I sprung for the wood top.

Here's another try at getting my X30 photo to load in this thread. It shows in the thread on my desktop but not on my laptop. I have the photo hosted by iCloud in my original post, and previously tried Google Drive. This time, I'm trying Dropbox to see if it shows up everywhere...

What hosting service do you use for linking photos to the forum?

Old 08-23-2023, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide View Post
Hey Groberts, my X30's top is maple. Your X20 is gorgeous! What wood is it? Koa?

Funny, I was debating getting one of the red X30s at the 25% sale, but, wasn't sure I could live with the color, so I sprung for the wood top.

Here's another try at getting my X30 photo to load in this thread. It shows in the thread on my desktop but not on my laptop. I have the photo hosted by iCloud in my original post, and previously tried Google Drive. This time, I'm trying Dropbox to see if it shows up everywhere...

What hosting service do you use for linking photos to the forum?

Hi Riptide, My X20 top is "Freak Maple." Appropriate huh? I Love it. I may still order an X30 with a figured wood top. Maybe an amberburst quilt maple top or something. I'll opt for Graphtech Ghost/K&K PU combination again.

I use Photobucket to host my photo's. You can email me a pic or pics of your guitar and I can post it.

How are things going after your truss rod tweak? What brand and composition of strings are you using now? Daddario Phosphor Bronze or ???

I use a thicker gauge string to optimize fullness. (for me) I am also guessing the nut is probably cut for .012 - . 053. I wonder how .011's work in larger nut slots?

Here is a pic of the X30 I returned. It really was great. Played perfect and sounded great through my gig rig. But I just didn't love 'red' for this guitar Trivial I know and it cost me $130 return shipping. I never would have had a chance to play both the X20 and X30 to see how they sound had I not ordered both. As it turns out, I love both but this Freak Maple X20 is just so killer it had to stay. I probably should have just kept the Red flame maple X30 but I also prefer more 'dramatic' wood figuring. In the end, I'll order a wood topped X30 and choose a top veneer I love. Unfortunately, the quilt maple tops they have right now are just kinda ok. IMO

Below is the X20, X30 and my Duo partners Ebony topped X20. He has had his for almost a year now. That's how I found out about Emerald.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-23-2023, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

I don't know....for me, you either like a guitar, or you don't, it would be rare for me that any strings or tweaking would change that.
Old 08-24-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Hi Riptide, My X20 top is "Freak Maple." Appropriate huh?

How are things going after your truss rod tweak? What brand and composition of strings are you using now? Daddario Phosphor Bronze or ???
My X30 top was also described as "Freak Maple," but yours is WAY freakier! Just spectacular!

I'm using D'Addario Phosphor Bronze XS. Playing the guitar a lot, liking it more.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:02 AM

Regarding the sound quality, I played a Martin HD-28 with factory installed Anthem for years, then purchased my X20 as a super-reliable gigging guitar. My X20 has totally fulfilled that role for me and I love it. Unplugged it does overall not sound as sweet as my HD-28, but plugged in I think it sounds better. Here's some things I do that probably apply to the X30 as well:

John Pearse 700M PB strings - these sound just spectacular on my X20 adding warmth and body

EQ notch -10db at 575Hz - this is where the undesirable sound is on my X20 to my ears (I also cut my wood guitars around here). Also a mild -4db cut between 800Hz and 2k. Boost the bass to taste at about 100Hz. Also boot highs at about 4K to taste.

LR Baggs Session Align Pedal - saturate at about 2 o'clock and compeq at about 11 o'clock. This adds warmth/body and tames the tinny sounds.

I run the K&K at 100% and the Ghost at only about 20%.

Last edited by ZebraKing; 08-27-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraKing View Post
Regarding the sound quality, I played a Martin HD-28 with factory installed Anthem for years, then purchased my X20 as a super-reliable gigging guitar. My X20 has totally fulfilled that role for me and I love it. Unplugged it does overall not sound as sweet as my HD-28, but plugged in I think it sounds better. Here's some things I do that probably apply to the X30 as well:

John Pearse 700M PB strings - these sound just spectacular on my X20 adding warmth and body

EQ notch -10db at 575Hz - this is where the 'plastic' sound is on my X20. Also a mild -4db cut between 800Hz and 2k. Boost the bass to taste at about 100Hz. Also boot highs at about 4K to taste.

LR Baggs Session Align Pedal - saturate at about 2 o'clock and compeq at about 11 o'clock. This adds warmth/body and tames the tinny sounds.

I run the K&K at 100% and the Ghost at only about 20%.
What eq pedal do you use?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-25-2023, 02:34 PM

I apply EQ at my mixer (Midas MR18)
Old 08-25-2023, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I apply EQ at my mixer (Midas MR18)
Oh, fancy! Thats some GOOD stuff. I'll try your EQ settings on an EQ pedal. I also use the word "plastic" regarding some of the tone. This could be really useful!

To the OP, glad to hear you are liking your X30 more. It sure is a beauty!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-25-2023, 05:20 PM

Quote:
My X30 top was also described as "Freak Maple," but yours is WAY freakier! Just spectacular!

I'm using D'Addario Phosphor Bronze XS. Playing the guitar a lot, liking it more.

Looks stunning! Glad to hear you are liking the guitar. I’m not a fan of the EXP strings that the Emeralds come with. It’s amazing how much of a difference a set of strings can make. Right now I’m using Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor bronze strings on my guitars.
Old 08-25-2023, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
EQ notch -10db at 575Hz - this is where the 'plastic' sound is on my X20.
Oh, now I’m triggered…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I also use the word "plastic" regarding some of the tone. This could be really useful!
AARG.

These guitars are not made of plastic. Very few people here have ever played a actual plastic guitar, and the term has taken on a pejorative quality when used to describe composite instruments, especially when used by those who cannot accept that a guitar made out of anything other than wood can possibly be any good.

Grump off. Carry on. I’ll be having my meds soon.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-25-2023, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Oh, now I’m triggered…

AARG.

These guitars are not made of plastic. Very few people here have ever played a actual plastic guitar, and the term has taken on a pejorative quality when used to describe composite instruments, especially when used by those who cannot accept that a guitar made out of anything other than wood can possibly be any good.

Grump off. Carry on. I’ll be having my meds soon.
I have the distinction of playing a plastic guitar. When I was little, my older brother had a plastic guitar with a picture of a cowboy on it. There was a crank on the side so that when you turned it, it played some tune that I don't recall. I think the strings were probably fishing line or something similar. I do remember the best you could get out of those strings was a soft "plink" sound, and nothing like the full-throat-ed acoustic roar of an Emerald.

This was around 1956-7, so way before Emerald came into being.

Carry on...and glad to help...

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-25-2023, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I have the distinction of playing a plastic guitar. When I was little, my older brother had a plastic guitar with a picture of a cowboy on it. There was a crank on the side so that when you turned it, it played some tune that I don't recall. I think the strings were probably fishing line or something similar. I do remember the best you could get out of those strings was a soft "plink" sound, and nothing like the full-throat-ed acoustic roar of an Emerald.

This was around 1956-7, so way before Emerald came into being.

Carry on...and glad to help...

Tony
Thanks, Tony

My first guitar was plastic - probably around 1965 or 1966. It was a 4-string Beatles thing which was pretty much unplayable, despite nylon strings. I’m sure my utter lack of ability had nothing to do with it.

I did, however, own a plastic Maccaferri guitar in the late 80s/early 90s. There was a stash of them that came to light, and various retailers (like Elderly, where I bought mine from) sold them for relatively modest prices. They were archtops, and actually quite sweet sounding and playing instruments.

Sadly, mine developed an irreparable bend in the neck, and ended up its life as a wall hanger before a long-forgotten fate.

But - I never ever thought of it as sounding like a plastic guitar.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-27-2023, 02:44 AM

Quote:
I bought an Emerald X30 at the 25% off Anniversary Sale... But...acoustically, I just haven't bonded with the sound. It is not rich and full to my ears. Sounds weak and tinny to me. On the advice of a friend who has an X20, I replaced the stock D'Addario EXP19 strings with D'Addario XS phosphor bronze. I went with a slightly lighter gauge than the stock 12-53; I used 11-52 which is what usually have on my acoustics.
I find that my Emeralds are particularly picky when it comes to string choice - much more so than my wood guitars - and it's taken me a good many sets from different brands and over a year to settle on light/medium 12-56 gauge.

The heavier bass strings give a bit of oomph, while the light treble strings give brightness and bendability (if you're into that sort of thing!)

But that's just me.

I know that strings are such a subjective issue, and personal preferences are as many and various as the number of brands and gauges available, but I find myself agreeing with everyone who has said that lighter gauges are not the way forward if you're looking to beef up what you perceive as a tinny sound.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
I find that my Emeralds are particularly picky when it comes to string choice - much more so than my wood guitars - and it's taken me a good many sets from different brands and over a year to settle on light/medium 12-56 gauge.
This bears repeating. CF guitars in general seem to be more sensitive to string type. For example, my Blackbird Lucky 13 really really hates John Pearce Pure Nickel strings. It sounds terrible with them, and I could not stand them for a third day. But they work fine on my wood guitars. Who knew?
Old 11-01-2023, 11:55 AM

As OP, I thought I would update this thread and let you all know where I've ended up.

After a couple of sets of strings, I now have my X30 strung with D'Addario Phosphor Bronze XS 0.13 - 0.56. The heavier gauge on the high E & B strings has really helped to bring forward the sound of those strings when I am playing fingerstyle unplugged, which is how I usually play at home.

I also tuned down a 1/2 step just to make it easier on my fingers, which are used to 0.11's.

Overall, I'm happy now with the balance of the acoustic sound.

Plugged in, I find that I definitely need to apply some EQ to reduce the bass and to balance out the treble. That done, it sounds great!

Bottom line, I'm happy with the guitar. Neck and action are a joy to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber