The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-10-2020, 01:46 PM

Default Schoeps CMBI mic amps

I snagged a pair of Schoeps CMBI mic amps a few years ago, these were introduced in the 90s and are out of production now. They were designed to connect to DAT recorders and other non-phantom devices so they are ideal for plugging into a camera input. I just posted a blurb in Show and Tell along with a clip using these mics into a Panasonic Lumix GH5 camera, the first time in a long time that I did a video without recording separate audio and syncing in post: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...60&postcount=1

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 09-10-2020, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Thanks so much for posting this! Great sound on your guitar...Great playing! LOVE SCHOEPS...
Super sweet, Clear sparkling tone on your Wingert!
What are the tone woods of your Wingert ?
Old 09-10-2020, 09:53 PM

Kathy had a set of Madagascar rosewood sides and a non-matching back, this was before we learned about the impact of deforestation on Madagascar. She topped it with Italian spruce.

I asked for a "big wide neck" and she delivered - it was a monstrosity! She came for a visit a few months later and asked if I liked the neck or might prefer it slimmed down a bit, I agreed that it didn't need to be quite so beefy. I pictured her taking some precision measurements and gently caressing a few shavings off here and there - next thing I know she's whacking away with a rasp, showering the neighborhood with mahogany!! But darned if she didn't stop at the perfect size and shape - she took it home, fine sanded and put some finish on it and I've treasured it ever since.

Sure punctured my illusions about the delicate craft of luthiery though (grin).

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 09-10-2020, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Kathy had a set of Madagascar rosewood sides and a non-matching back, this was before we learned about the impact of deforestation on Madagascar. She topped it with Italian spruce.

I asked for a "big wide neck" and she delivered - it was a monstrosity! She came for a visit a few months later and asked if I liked the neck or might prefer it slimmed down a bit, I agreed that it didn't need to be quite so beefy. I pictured her taking some precision measurements and gently caressing a few shavings off here and there - next thing I know she's whacking away with a rasp, showering the neighborhood with mahogany!! But darned if she didn't stop at the perfect size and shape - she took it home, fine sanded and put some finish on it and I've treasured it ever since.

Sure punctured my illusions about the delicate craft of luthiery though (grin).

Fran
Great Story!
How much pressure you apply, how you hold your shaping tool, is the winning factor when it comes to hand wood shaping.
And the same can be said about shaping using a belt grinder. It is all about your touch and how you apply it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD