The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 11:05 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I also hate when it happens, but not much you can do after the fact. I think most of us get over it and move on.

I did hear a tale one of my band mates had about a guy in a previous band.

they did an outdoor gig one evening. At one point a mic fell over, and put a nice dent, (like only a mic can) right behind the bridge on a Standard Strat.

The owner didn't notice it till the next day,. he went nuts. ransacked his own music room, broke a flat screen tv that was in the room, and as the grand finale, tossed a mic stand thru a window.

His wife almost called the police on him, she thought she was next... Rumor has it, he's not picked up a guitar since that day.. (last summer sometime, July or August I think)

So,, if you don't do THAT, then I guess you are doing OK!
Wow, just wow.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:13 AM

I take care with my guitars but accidents can happen.
Mostly I don't worry about a little honest wear.
The only time I can remember that a ding bothered me
was on a Martin 000-18GE that I had decided to sell.
I dinged the top (not through the finish) after I decided to sell
the guitar and I figure it
cost me some $$.
It seems like people buying upper end guitars want them to
be in perfect condition.

Mark
Old 06-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Runaway Tomato

For me the first scratch on a new guitar is a gallon container of trauma. ❌❌❌ But after I recover, which takes a couple of days, IDC any more. Remember the Car Guys on NPR? They said that every new car sold should come pre-scratched so the first ding is not so traumatic
Former AGF Moderator
Old 06-01-2020, 11:16 AM

I had a friend who wanted a good friend of his to drive his new motor home up to camp so he could drink on the way up. The his friend said I "really don't want to be driving your new expensive motor home I really think you should do that", "not a problem he said" he then took out a hammer and dented the side of the motor home and said "she ain't new now you can drive her".

Take away from that story what you will. But I no longer care about dings, scratches, or finish issues on any of my instruments. Life is too short worry about small things like that.

Last edited by macmanmatty; 06-01-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:21 AM

Meh. Cosmetics. If you are a seasoned musical traveler you are going to get the occasional scratch n dent. You learn to adapt and give the little dings n divots their due. Some say it builds character in a vintage guitar. Others say it don't. Take care of your instrument and keep it clean, that's all you can do. If you are a serious player then obviously there should be a little more in the care package per your individual wants and needs for wear n tear general maintenance. Don't let the little things (i.e., nicks) in life get ya down. Battle scars. A country song or two has been written about it. Every picture tells a story, and each little ding has its own little history. That's what gives a particular guitar its own definitive character. Battle scars, we all have 'em.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:22 AM

I used to get upset about dings on cars, dings on guitars, etc, etc. At some point, I realized that I was fighting with reality, because the reality is that nothing can remain perfect, especially not things that are being used regularly.

Now, I just do my best to care for what I have, and accept that damage and accidents and careless moments are an inevitable part of life. There are many worse things in life than damage to a cherished object. I’ve just learned ways to shake off the initial sting, and keep on going.

It might help that I kept my first guitar (a Yamaha FG180 dreadnaught) for over 30 years. It got very beat up (but not due carelessness); when I started buying more expensive guitars, I knew that the only reasonable goal was to have them look a bit nicer for a bit longer, but that eventually, they would show signs of age and of use, just like everything else.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45 View Post
Couldn’t have said it better. Friends will say “there’s a parking spot right up front”. No way...cars are parked on both sides.
Typically if I must park next to another car, I'll try to park on the passenger side of it. There's a 100% chance that the driver's door will be opened when the driver returns, but the passenger door might not be.

If you must park between two cars, the optimal situation is that one is facing out and the other facing in, so that both cars have their passenger sides to you.

Oh, and it goes without saying that you should prefer parking next to sedans rather than coupes.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:24 AM

I'm reasonably careful with my guitars but certainly not obsessive. They are all on stands or hangers so I can get to them with little resistance. For me it's all about being able to play them. I have a few new purchases that still are completely unscathed. Last winter I tripped over my poncho and dinged my #1 guitar. Hated it. However, the guitar still sounds every bit as good only with a little more character. It certainly doesn't impact how and when I play it - although I'm a little more careful with my feet now. I suppose if I experienced a big enough scratch / dent / crack, I'd invest in getting it properly repaired but, thankfully, that hasn't happened yet.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 06-01-2020, 11:30 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

You need to get yourself a Martin Streetmaster. It comes with a “relic” finish...so who cares about dents and boo-boos? Takes all the pressure off...

Old 06-01-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
You need to get yourself a Martin Streetmaster. It comes with a “relic” finish...so who cares about dents and boo-boos? Takes all the pressure off...
Streetmaster? Is it intended for busking?
Old 06-01-2020, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

My best sounding guitar was made in 1950 and looks like a very well played, totally scratched, dented, and worn in all the classic places instrument. No need to worry about dings, and it’s condition shows it has gotten 70 years of honest use. Many of my newer ones are pristine, but I don’t worry about possible damage. Any dings and marks are evidence of being played instead of staying in a case. While I don’t know if it’s true, I suspect that of any two same model, same vintage year guitars with comparable action, one mint and the the other showing lots of play wear, the latter will usually sound better, even with some repaired cracks, etc.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-01-2020, 12:06 PM

I don't worry about it too much. I take care of my things the best I can but I don't freak over scratches. Stuff happens. I buy to play not to sell so resale value isn't a huge deal to me.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:09 PM

Found a new scratch and quite a deep nick on the back of the body. It bothered my for a good ten seconds and then got over it.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:12 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Streetmaster? Is it intended for busking?
“Streetmaster” is the name of the relic finish Martin uses on some guitars, including my DSS-15M.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:33 PM

It’s a tool. No reason to intentionally beat it up, and I despise the idea of “relic’d new guitars, but everything that is used to it’s potential picks up a few dings and scars along the road. Don’t worry about them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion