The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM

Default What Do You Think Of This Headstock?

I'd be very curious to hear people's thoughts about this. Buyers of custom steel string guitars have really embraced unconventional designs more and more over the years but I haven't had as much exposure to classical players. I'd appreciate any comments on the specifics of the design as well as people's sense of the overall acceptance of less traditional appearance in the classical world today.

Thanks.

By the way, there are more photos of the guitar here.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...57#post2978457.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM

Sort of like it, kind of art deco. Depends on the the rest of the guitar. Might have used a different shape for the fingerboard extension to match the headstock look.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 PM

Love it.

Agree about the fingerboard extension. Stairstep would work nicely (like the edges of a Moll headstock ) and stay "deco"

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-20-2012, 09:14 PM

Pretty, but you are losing mass so this may affect sustain. This will affect the balance of the instrument somewhat, as well.

I think you'll find most serious classical players won't really enjoy the non-standard nature, but you'll likely find some non-hard-core classical enthusiasts enjoy the uniqueness.

My thinking is that since there are standard ranges in classical guitar dimensions & specs that have lasted nearly 2 centuries, there are likely reasons they exist. Sometimes, however, there is no good reason - rather, it is just "tradition".

If you like it, and if you can sell it, then why not...?? ;-)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 PM

I don't know about the masses, but personally, I love it. Very attractive and elegent. The deco look has always been a favorite of mine and speaks class (to me anyway) and quality.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 AM

The internet, I feel, has really opened up the whole world of Lutherie to a vast new audience. I also feel that is stretching the limits of design as builders are looking past tradition into something unique to them. There will always be traditionalists but I feel there is much greater acceptance of non traditional designs. Hard and fast "rules" related to building and design in this day and age of new materials and technology only limit creativity IMO. Just learning to build nearing my 6th decade (with a couple of guitars under my belt) I am trying to remain open minded about the whole process. I also think any affect on sound/tone will be negligible to most people.

All that said I like it. It has nice balance / symmetry and the different woods used give it a nice visual appeal to me. Finished and tuners added I think it will look great. (Probably more than you asked for Kent. )

Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I like it. I'd probably make the slots a bit shorter at the top, and leave a little more wood, but the design is good. I think it's a fragile headstock with the slots cut that high. It'll crack if it slips off a wall and hits a stand or the floor.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 AM

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback.

The fretboard end was tough. I mocked up several shapes, including some that mimicked elements of the headstock. I settled on this one partly because it's what the client originally asked for and partly because I didn't love the alternatives. Sometimes I like all the motion/interaction with the rosette, sometimes not.

Waddy, thanks, that's an excellent point. The first designs I made of this had more meat up there but I didn't like the way they looked. But form should follow function and I will figure out a way to put in some reinforcement there and hide it under a back strap. Guess this won't get to finish until next week.

edit: Oh yeah, about the mass. I forgot to mention that this is a walnut neck. Denser than mahogany and much denser than spanish cedar. I actually put in some work to remove mass, including some creative removal of wood in the shaft under the fretboard. There is also some serious carbon fiber reinforcement in there which is needed to support the floating fretboard end (see other thread) so all in all, it is very stiff and in the ballpark for overall weight. I think the sustain should actually be improved but time will tell. The distribution of mass can make a difference on steel string. Some guitars see dramatic improvement in the bottom end with extra mass at the headstock. I would think that a stiff/dense neck with a light headstock would be perfect for a classical but I'm still guessing at this point.

Last edited by Kent Chasson; 03-21-2012 at 09:49 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical