The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 PM

Default Buying advice please

Hey all, I'm in the market for a classical electro acoustic, not silly money - say around 500-700 quid (it's unlikely it will be gigged very often as I'm a sucker for steel strings). The trouble is that my fingers, are somewhat vertically challenged (I teach a 10 year old who has bigger hands ffs lol) and I really do struggle with the wider necks, mainly with the thumb wraparound bit. So all i've seen is the Yamaha NTX range but would rather have a few options to choose from, just so I know I've spent wisely. Also, would rather get an all solid guitar if I can within that price range.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:24 AM

The Yamaha NTX range are very good - nice slim necks and sound good. For a cheaper option you might look out for the older APX range: APX5NA, APX6NA, APX9NA
Old 03-13-2012, 10:46 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Big fan of the Yamaha line, but I'd also suggest dropping the thumb wrap altogether, if you can. It's not a great move, biomechanically, and chords often come out cleaner if you can use your thumb to help with the fretting tension. I still use it all the time, but I have the sense that the thumb wrap is horribly wrong!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical