The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 PM

Default Detune nylon strings for airplane?

Hi everyone,

NGD and I am traveling home w/LP Etude Q1. I usually detune my acoustic steel string on airplanes, though I understand many do not. I am looking for information on air travel with nylon string guitars? Should one detune a nylon string guitar for air travel? Or does this do more harm than good? Any experience, pros/cons, or comments would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 PM

I can't say from experience - but nylon strings up to pitch are at about 80 +- lbs string tension, quite a bit lower than steel strings. And, the fact that the La Patrie has a truss rod, I would think you would be ok up to pitch. Still, I don't think it would hurt to maybe lower it a half or whole step just for piece of mind
Old 03-07-2012, 08:51 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Everything I have ever read on the subject says it's wise to loosen the strings before flying. The nylon strings may or may not react to pressure and temperature changes that cause them to loosen or tighten on their own (it's quite cold in planes, even in the passenger cabin). Plus, it can't really hurt to do this, can it? My guitars have never suffered, anyway. And I always loosen the strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical