The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-03-2012, 05:10 PM

Smile NGD: Takamine TH90

I got this guitar brand new a few weeks ago and now that I've had some time with it, I have to say I love it. I have an older TH5C that I love so I even surprised myself when I chose the TH90 out of the other guitars I was looking at in a similar price range. I looked at some higher end Cordobas as well as some of the Ramirez and Rodriguez models. I'm still a little shocked I chose this one over the 125th Anniversary Ramirez as that's what I was originally shopping for. The tone, playability, and uniqueness of the TH90 just won me over.

Note: I got the normal finish TH90, not the 2012 limited edition of this guitar. I thought that looked great but I'm a big fan of seeing the wood.

I will probably mic this one as well as use the cool tube electronics for recording.

I keep hearing from folks that the Takamines do not have the volume they need. I have not found this at all, especially with my aged TH5C but I'm not comparing it to a $5000 concert classical.

Any other love for the Takamine Hirade series out there?
Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Th-90

I currently have three Takamine nylons including a TH90 Hirade. I believe they represent a lot of value for the price you have to pay. I love the nice fat, jazzy sound you can get out of the TH90 with the cool tube dialed in around 60% to 70%. I'm going to eventually sell my TH90 (I got it in a trade and I am more attached to the other ones after owning both of them for many years), but I am sure I will miss it. I also like the feel of the very smooth ebony neck on the TH90. Takamines are among the best at balancing the plugged versus unplugged performance issue. They sound great either way. I have had one of my Takamine nylons since 1985 and the other since 1997...they get even better with age. Have fun with your new toy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical