The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 PM

Default Damien Rice - Older Chests Guitar and Violin Cover

Hello everyone...just signed up for my account here and this is my first post!
I've been slowly getting more and more into music and recording over the last few years. Violin is my main instrument and I haven't been playing guitar for very long.

Anyways, feedback is appreciated...I feel like there is still so much to learn about mic placement and recording in general. I can never seem to get exactly the sound I want recorded...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MrzIQ5G9Ls
Old 10-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Pretty nice cover! I thought it was good all the way around.
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 10-20-2010, 06:19 AM

Welcome to the AGF, Zthang! I enjoyed the video...very nice playing and arrangement. You sing well and the violins were especially well placed in the arrangement. Well done!

The recording quality is very good, but you may be picking up more of the room sound than you want. You might consider employing some room treatment techniques to lessen the room sound reflections. Also try lowering the input gain some and adding a touch of hall reverb to give the final mix the feel of a larger space.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 10-20-2010, 07:03 AM

Thanks so much for the kind words...and yes that's exactly what i was feeling as well. Do you think it would be better to maybe be facing towards a wall when i play vs having a back to the wall and playing towards the center of the room? And the other problem i've come across is that if i reduce the gain more, it doesn't pick up the soft sounds and the volume comes out low. Im befuddled, as to the whole mic and sound tweaking =(. I've been messing with compressor settings etc...i guess just more practice. But thanks again
Old 10-20-2010, 07:16 AM

very nice.................one of my fav Damien Rice songs.........
Old 10-20-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthang View Post
Do you think it would be better to maybe be facing towards a wall when i play vs having a back to the wall and playing towards the center of the room?
keep your back to the wall. try hanging some heavy blankets behind you to improve the sound (soak up the boxy sound of the room). also, something similar "behind" the mic would help too.

good luck! recording can be a real tough assignment if you're looking for quality sound. remember, your recordings will only sound as good as your room sounds. if the room sounds bad, as most rooms do, dampening the sound with sound absorbent materials will help a little.

here's what i use, but they can get expensive:

http://www.readyacoustics.com/index....x&cPath=26_7_5

bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell