The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-20-2019, 07:11 AM

I don't eat McDonald's food, but do drink their coffee. It is remarkably consistent. (And, no, they are not using single-cup brewing).
Back a number of years ago they switched to Green Mountain brand, at least here in New England - same company that produces 90% of all Keurig-style K-cups.
Then they switched, but the taste really didn't change.

Why is most 'regular restaurant' coffee bad? It's most likely provided by their food supply company (like Sysco) and is the cheapest one that that company can find (or offer as part of the standard supply package).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-20-2019, 08:24 AM
G625 mistral-k

We like strong coffee, therefore when we travel and do not have the AeroPress or French Press with us, we rely McDonalds and Starbucks for a good strong coffee.

Starbucks coffee is not five bucks, their tall (small) coffee runs about $1.85 a cup to $2.45 for their Venti (extra large). Since we travel with our two insulated mugs, we usually purchase the Venti and pour it into the two mugs. We also have an insulated thermos which we have them fill so we receive a $.10 discount. McDonalds is a bargain about $1.00 to $1.09 for a small and a $1.49 for an extra large.

Restaurant coffee is hit or miss. At McDonalds, consistency is in their DNA, and below is excerpt from an article on possible reasons why their coffee is so fresh and good.
Quote:
McDonald's Coffee is Fresh

McDonald's locations and franchises brew fresh coffee every 30 minutes. You'll never get coffee that's been sitting out for hours or getting stale.

McDonald's Coffee is Gourmet

Surprisingly, McDonald's coffee is gourmet. Gaviņa is the coffee supplier for McDonald's and they use a blend of arabica coffee beans grown in Brazil, Colombia, Guatemala, and Costa Rica.

McDonald's Coffee is Medium Roast

McDonald's uses a medium roasted blend rather than dark roasted coffee. The lighter roast brings out the coffee's nutty, chocolaty undertones without causing excessive bitterness or a burnt flavor.
If we are not traveling, we make french press coffee each morning. If I want a cup during the day I make it with an AeroPress. Occasionally, I make percolator coffee with a CorningWare percolator which I received from an Aunt who received it as a gift in the 60's, however she was only a tea drinker. I received it from her (still new) about 3 years ago. It is a pleasant reminder of the coffee I grew up on, enjoyed during family gatherings, and anticipated with sound of the percolator as it was brewed. Whatever your cup is, sit back and enjoy!
Old 05-20-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Faberware Stainless Steel - Yosemite $18, right up my alley!

David
That looks good. And how do you know when the coffee is done? I used to go by the smell but not sure I have that skill anymore.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 05-20-2019, 10:22 AM

I don't go out for coffee. I need the jolt before I leave my house. That being said, I can't stand Starbucks. I just don't like any of the beans they use. My wife buys Dunkin Donuts hazelnut like a crack addict; she hoards vast amounts of it but in my book, it's just "okay."

The best we ever had was actually freshly-ground Kona beans from Hilo Hattie's. It's like the food of the Gods; the kind of stuff that Starbucks wishes it could be.

Not to totally knock Starbucks. I actually like their hot Chai tea but I have to get it "lightly sweet" because it tastes like a milkshake.

PS: McDonald's has good coffee? Really? At least Starbucks is quicker and gets the order right the first time.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:21 AM

Has anyone here ever tried kopi coffee? It's made from the beans that were pooped out by an Indonesian civet after he eats the fruit of the coffee berry. The partial digestion process supposedly gives the coffee a winey, fermented flavor.

The beans used to be collected in the wild, but now because it is supposedly the "most expensive coffee in the world" the civets are kept in horrible conditions and fed nothing but coffee berries.

I may have tried the wild collected stuff, but not the farmed variety.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 05-20-2019, 11:55 AM

What kind of coffee do they use down at the "Cafe du Monde" down in New Orleans French Quarter? All they serve are "Beignets" and those coffee au laits. Yes, they are excellent!

Fog
Old 05-20-2019, 02:25 PM

I stopped drinking coffee outside of my own home about a year months ago because, like the OP notes: bleah.

But, that slowly came to be after Star Bucks set in motion the robust blend. Everyone wanted to get a piece of that action so breakfast restaurants began serving it, alongside their normal medium blend, but eventually stopped serving the medium altogether. That's when I stopped going out for breakfast. It also happened at the gas station convenience store where I stopped for coffee when going in to work. So, I stopped that as well. Furthering the thought, I stopped drinking coffee altogether and switched to green tea.

Coffee is currently listed with green tea in the superfood group but I'm not sure if that's predicated upon the percentage of tannic acid excreted from the beans from (over) roasting, which I believe Star Bucks set the bar at.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
What kind of coffee do they use down at the "Cafe du Monde" down in New Orleans French Quarter? All they serve are "Beignets" and those coffee au laits. Yes, they are excellent!

Fog
Their coffee is blended with chicory (old N.O. tradition, don't have time to look up why just now). You could try "French Market" brand, pretty widely available pre-ground in a big red can, see if that works for you.

Last edited by frankmcr; 05-26-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:27 AM

Default Hmmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Every restaurant I go to has really bad coffee
Time to find some good restaurants......I have a 29 year relationship with a breakfast stop in my town that doesn't have *boutique* quality coffee, just decent and fresh
Old 05-21-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Time to find some good restaurants......I have a 29 year relationship with a breakfast stop in my town that doesn't have *boutique* quality coffee, just decent and fresh
I've tried nearly every restaurant in my town and two nearby towns.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I've tried nearly every restaurant in my town and two nearby towns.
Now that's not good! Is the food good? If so, maybe bring a cup of your own coffee favorite with you when you go to one?
Old 05-21-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
That looks good. And how do you know when the coffee is done? I used to go by the smell but not sure I have that skill anymore.
When it starts to perc and steam comes out I give it about 60-90 seconds then turn the burner off. I let it set another minute or so and move it off the heat. After it sets a few minutes most of the coffee has now dripped down from the grounds.

We have a 25 year old Gevalia well insulated carafe that I pour the coffee into and it stays hot for hours.

I like my coffee strong but not bitter and I have found that four scoops will make a full pot of coffee. Our scoop is 1 tablespoon, btw.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 05-21-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Now that's not good! Is the food good? If so, maybe bring a cup of your own coffee favorite with you when you go to one?
Overall, I would say that the food is "passable", nothing to write home about.

Recently, I have been trying to scour menus for drink alternatives. I found cranberry juice in one restaurant (not sure how common that is, due to always sticking with coffee until now), and another place will put a shot of cranberry juice in unsweetened iced tea to make it palatable.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:32 PM

Default Hmmmmmm.....

Quote:
Overall, I would say that the food is "passable", nothing to write home about.

Recently, I have been trying to scour menus for drink alternatives. I found cranberry juice in one restaurant (not sure how common that is, due to always sticking with coffee until now), and another place will put a shot of cranberry juice in unsweetened iced tea to make it palatable.

LOL...I remember the line from Mark Whalberg in "The Shootist"...."Tennessee-patron State of shootin' stuff"

If you're looking at juice and tea, you're "clutchin' at straws'
Old 05-21-2019, 01:05 PM

Default What's the deal with crappy restaurant coffee?

I consider myself a connoisseur among coffee. Yes, Mcd's makes a great .99 cup. As do many convenance stores nowadays. Like Cumberland Farms, WaWa, Sheetz, etc. Unfortunately for me, here in New England, Dunkin is king. I can get my favorite, Timmy Ho's (Tim Horton's) at my local supermarket, k-cup only. But no chance of a local shop in my area. Massachusetts is addicted to Dunkin. You all up near Canada are livin the dream! I have seen a Timmy Ho's on almost every corner when i visited Buffallo, NY recently. Dunkin is like the mob around here, they'll crush anyone else that tries to set up shop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic