The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-11-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Really? Innumerable tales of people getting conned out of money and identity via the phone. Many people are as comfortable controlling security online as you may be controlling it on the phone.
Sorry man, I totally and respectfully disagree. Controlling the phone is way easier than controlling what's going on online if your using social media or Google or just about anything.
People who get conned on the phone are generally susceptible to any con no matter where it originates from.
We get nuisance calls daily. We just don't answer them. No one has to pick up that phone. We can see the number or whatever. If we don't recognize it, we don't answer. If it's friends or family, even if the number isn't recognized, they will leave a message. If they don't, we don't care.
When you're online you're vulnerable, no matter what. If you believe you aren't your very naive. I've seen what hackers can do. If they want to get into your computer, they can.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-11-2019, 07:46 AM

i agree with all that- best thing to do is dont answer or simply hang up, i tell my wife not to say- im not interested, dont call back, or whatever replies she gives, this PMO, they got your voice, but it just doesnt sink in
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 05-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Rokdog, I work in the industry. I’m not naive, I just understand how to control privacy online. Most people younger than me simply don’t find it challenging, confusing, or a big issue.

You’re right, of course the phone is easier for many people to control, but the number falling for phone scams is still astonishing. Most people younger than me simply don’t use the phone.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Rokdog, I work in the industry. I’m not naive, I just understand how to control privacy online. Most people younger than me simply don’t find it challenging, confusing, or a big issue.

You’re right, of course the phone is easier for many people to control, but the number falling for phone scams is still astonishing. Most people younger than me simply don’t use the phone.
Ok since you work in the industry, you are in a very small minority of folks who are in tune with what goes on. That's great for you, but I find people of all ages are totally unaware of how their activities on the internet and the info they put out there is capable of hurting them.
The Phone scam thing is largely due to people who are unable to deal with scams such as the elderly or people who let greed get in the way of common sense and they get scammed. I'm not surprised by either.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-12-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
facebook sucks, i cant see gaining knowledge on it, but if you want to connect with family and friends, use the phone
Just don't click on clickbait stuff and you're good. It's a free platform to advertise for gigs along with instagram. It's what you make of it. Don't share things that you don't want to share and unplug from it when you need to.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 05-12-2019, 11:55 AM

I keep getting unexpected emails about purchases on Amazon, Google, AppStore, etc. And notifications that a delivery to my home was unsuccessful - "please confirm your address".

No way am I clicking anything on such emails. If I suspect it might be real, I'll log in straight into the service.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-22-2019, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

I get those alerts via email too. But I never click through links from any emails. I always log in directly.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:46 PM

When someone asks for advice on something I don't know why people have to pipe in on how bad that something is. If you don't like Facebook, don't get on this thread. There is obviously a lot of people that like it, know how to control its content, and are not concerned about its privacy issues. Let's answer the OP's question.

That said, when I get these emails, I make sure the link that is printed on the email is actually the one that it is linked to. I do this by hovering the pointer over the link printed on the email. Down at the bottom left (for Chrome) the actual web site is displayed. Look at it carefully.

Seems you gave someone your password. Don't ever use that anywhere else again.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:07 PM

People are still getting scammed by a simple ring of the doorbell.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:49 PM

I guess I'm just an old fart I didn't like it, closed the account in less than a month just to invasive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Tags
facebook, scam, security