The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-28-2019, 08:45 AM

Great Stuff everyone .. Thanks for adding your settings - Meb and Methos

Here is my 'Cheat Sheet' mostly taken from the manual. I will see about compiling the notes from this thread and make a pdf to share. But not sure how to upload or share pdf on this site.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:59 PM

Really cool to have this thread for reference. Got one on the way and am pretty excited to start playing with it. Appreciate the op for starting the discussion and all those who have shared.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

On the VE-8, I set up my FS-5U footswitch for either 1-punch loop stop
OR Harmony stop/start. I find the black buttons cumbersome and
easy to hit more than the one I am aiming for. Is it possible, say
using an FS-6 to offload the loop start and loop stop functions to the FS?
It would be similar to a Ditto X2 FX.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:28 AM

This is helping me with mine...thanks
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-04-2019, 08:55 PM

2nd night playing with the VE-8. Haven’t delved into vocals yet, but have spent my time looking for the guitar tone I want, and wow. This thing really improves the amplified tone from my Eastman E10D with an active Schatten pickup. Very impressed so far with what it can do.

I’m using a 1.4 Wegen pick, but it’s dialed into where I can hit big chords with power and no hint of quack, which was an issue with the guitar going direct before.

Right now I’m setting things up in the middle so I can use the on-board tone and volume controls to tweak as needed from song to song, but going to start building presets once I get the vocals locked down as well and will see where that goes.

Still need to figure out the tap tempo for delay, but the tone with delay seems very nice. Im also pleased with the reverb options and tone from that as well.

I’m convinced enough that I think the Boss foot switch is likely in my future to ensure the level of control needed over everything (double tap looping, no thanks). I was torn with this and the play acoustic (potentially with a Tonedexter), but based on my results so far I think I’m ready to really learn this thing.

I see a number of complaints about the interface and navigation, but it doesn’t seem that much of a curve if you spend some time with the manual. Appears to have a ton of potential if you put in a few hours to learn the sub-menus and how to get where you need to go.

That being said, at this point I’m still using my Ditto X4 for looping and probably won’t change that, but will likely rely on the Boss for looping vocals. From what I’ve seen investigating this thing I think I can get to where I need with the extra foot switch, but still need to make sure.

Anyway, my two day experience with the pedal has been beyond expectations.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:20 PM

I love mine. I find it very easy to get usable guitar tone and very good vocals and harmonies.

I've used it twice into the PA at church for our contemplative service, and it makes my cheap Lucero classical sound awesome. Almost as much fun as plugging in the Taylor, turning on harmonies, and singing This Boy.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Jake: no, I did not know there was a headphone jack! Duh..... where is the volume?
I am recording though, just using the Spire headphone jack for listening.
I have the headphone jack but there's no volume out. So where is this volume control? It is confusing 😭
Old 04-29-2020, 02:47 PM

To answer my own question its in the memory loop press settings. Connections, output settings. Ph volume after hl, l and aux. Page 5 of ve-8_e2 manual.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyrg View Post
To answer my own question its in the memory loop press settings. Connections, output settings. Ph volume after hl, l and aux. Page 5 of ve-8_e2 manual.
Amazing, thanks for that.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:28 PM

Default New Guy sort of.

Hey folks.

I joined up specifically because google brought me here, looking for an answer to a VE-8 question. I’m thinking of getting one to incorporate into my solo gig.

Seems strange, but I haven’t been able to find an explanation of how or even if you can have two vocal harmony types in one song.

For instance, it’s pretty common for a song to have part or all of a verse in two part (singer + 1) and the chorus will have 3 parts (singer + 2).

I’m just wanting to know if this is something achieved by the memory? Or is there an out of the box method of doing this? Every demo I’ve seen the demonstrator is turning the knobs to show off the different harmonies.

Perfect example: Sylvias Mother by Dr Hook. It’s got both two and three (sometimes four, depends who in the band wasn’t too stoned to sing) part harmonies.

Sorry to dig up such an old post for this, but I see replies on here that are only a few years old. LOL
Old 09-14-2021, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberteddy View Post
Seems strange, but I haven’t been able to find an explanation of how or even if you can have two vocal harmony types in one song.

For instance, it’s pretty common for a song to have part or all of a verse in two part (singer + 1) and the chorus will have 3 parts (singer + 2).

I’m just wanting to know if this is something achieved by the memory? Or is there an out of the box method of doing this? Every demo I’ve seen the demonstrator is turning the knobs to show off the different harmonies.
Welcome! I don't know if there's any way to do what you're asking, though there's a tantalizing possibility by using "memory" mode rather than "manual" mode. Trying to figure that out from the manual just now made my head hurt, but if you don't have a manual handy here's the link to download it:

https://www.boss.info/global/support...-7f8075d04b3c/

The VE-8's main, top-level features like straightforward harmony, chorus effect etc. work great for live gigging--and then there's a wealth of options accessible via complicated button presses and menu diving (such as it is, it's a tiny window). Most users don't use those, though some adjust their EQ that way.

Others are more adept at the VE-8 than I am, and perhaps one or two will check in.

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2021, 05:37 PM

Hey thanks for the quick reply man!

I think you’re right about the memory mode thing, but they don’t really come right out and say it, and the gear is old enough that the youtubers who post demos aren’t going to answer me.

Maybe I need to create a new post? I hate dredging up old topics but before I pull the trigger on this thing I need to know if it fits my show.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberteddy View Post
Hey thanks for the quick reply man!...
Maybe I need to create a new post? I hate dredging up old topics but before I pull the trigger on this thing I need to know if it fits my show.
Glad to almost help lol.

Yeah, perhaps a new thread with a clear title (e.g. Can you program Boss VE-8 for different harmonies via pedal stomp) would attract some eyeballs. In the meantime, slow night, I forwarded your question to Boss (Roland) support. I think you have to have a registered product to do so, and I do. Could not predict when they might reply, though after two or three days, four years ago, they responded very helpfully to my own questions.

Bear in mind that not getting any answers here doesn't mean folks are ignoring you, it's just that most of us don't like to create a post just to say Wow, I have no idea.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:09 PM

You’ve been awesome and I thank you sincerely.
I posted a new thread, hopefully I tap into that well of knowledge! Lol

Thank you fir writing Boss. Curious what they say, if anything.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification