The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-09-2002, 03:13 AM

Default thumb picks

ive recently srarted using thumbpicks insteadof using
the flesh of my thumb,
i was wondering if any one uses finger picks for their other fingers,
and if so,
what they like about them?
Old 04-10-2002, 08:29 AM

I've tried several kinds of fingerpicks and hate them all. I have weak nails and can't keep a fingernail for more than a few days. But the awkwardness of fingerpicks, at least for me, is not worth the trouble of the tone you get.
I do like to use a thumbpick. Those speedpicks that Doyle Dykes uses are excellent.

414 LOTF MACE
Big Baby
Tacoma EMC9
Old 04-10-2002, 09:53 AM

I use a thumpick about 50% of the time. I never could get used to fingerpicks. They sounded real scratchy and I couldn't "Feel" the strings. Lately I've started growing my fingernails, jjjuuussstttttt a little bit. It's been working nicely. If you check out W5BLT's web site (link below), you'll find guitar tips. At least a couple are on nail care.

http://www.guitartips.addr.com/
Old 04-10-2002, 10:32 AM

Default Tried them...can't stand 'em

I figure, if John Hurt didn't need them, then I don't either! I play with fingernails & flesh.

I've heard really good things about the thumbpicks mentioned by revkev above, but I've never tried them.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 04-10-2002, 10:40 AM

I get far better tone and control with a big Johnson thumbpick and Alaska picks on my index and middle fingers. The Alaska picks allow you to feel the strings with the pads of your fingers. They take a little getting used to, but then they are wonderful (imho).

Dusty
Old 04-10-2002, 10:52 AM

I use a kelly speedpick on my thumb..now I can't play properly without it. Never tried fingerpicks...just grew out my nails.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:23 PM

Although I have used various thumb pics, I had never heard of the Alaska Pic. The Kelly Thumb Pics seems to be necessary. That is until I figure out how to grow my thumbnail at a 90 degree angle! It would seem to me that using finger pics would not have the "feel" that I like on the strings. Than again, I'm just learning to finger pic.

Now that my nails are growing, one convient advantage (for me) is that when I go into a guitar store to "test drive" a few Taylors and forget my flatpick, I always have something to use.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell