The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 05:47 PM

I also wanted to mention this guitar too...I have this guitar from the show yet.

I'll get a full shot, face book is not loading the other pics - so I can grab them to upload them here. This is my EM a 16" lower bout walnut back/side, bear claw top...ebony bridge. Its a fantastic guitar, has a really bold/loud full voice...not lacking treble/tone. Fit, finish and set up is all done. If anyone is interested - please let me know. I'll give you details/price and send it to you. Here is a website link to the model http://www.pedersoncustomguitars.com...ic_guitar.html

I'll get more pics tomorrow.

Kevin.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:14 PM

Got to see these in person. AWESOME !!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcef View Post
Got to see these in person. AWESOME !!!!!!!!!
Thanks Bob for that comment! I really enjoyed talking to you at the show. Thanks for taking the time to chat with me!

Kevin.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:16 PM

Here is a good shot of this EM that Jay Lichty put up on facebook. I just sized it a little smaller for here.

This is the guitar this cat is on...it is a 16" lower bout guitar and the top has nice bear claw. Full pics in a day or so...very bold tone.

I used today to do some cleaning in my shop and order some more supplies for the next round. I've got some cool things coming up. I'll put up build threads for these things...or put them here in this one thread :-).

Here was this last EVA UM getting stained and sprayed! I ordered some lumber for the next two today.

Here will be the back and sides for the next round...I'll get the bindings, cut away bevel and arm rest bevel out of these. Will make a couple NICE guitars!!

Hope you all had a nice day.

Kevin.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:30 AM

Kevin, I'm not surprised that you sold this guitar at the show as it's truly beautiful.

When it comes to guitars, it's not easy to come up with a design that is both original and beautiful -- but I think you've succeeded.

The headstock inlay is a really good fit with the rest of the instrument. A very nice guitar altogether.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Kevin, I'm not surprised that you sold this guitar at the show as it's truly beautiful.

When it comes to guitars, it's not easy to come up with a design that is both original and beautiful -- but I think you've succeeded.

The headstock inlay is a really good fit with the rest of the instrument. A very nice guitar altogether.
Hey, Thanks Mau! A very nice compliment from you!! Thank you.

I really set out to 'try' be original (difficult with all things really being/been done). It really has a great voice too (a nice pleasing bassy tone)...I'd love get someone like you to make a demo video - someone that could do it justice. Thanks again.

Kevin.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:31 AM

Kevin's guitars were exceptional, I was unfamiliar with his guitars and I'm so happy I dropped by this booth and played them. Excellent work and wonderful robust projection, volume and tone. It was the whole package. It was one of my favorites at the show.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Kevin's guitars were exceptional, I was unfamiliar with his guitars and I'm so happy I dropped by this booth and played them. Excellent work and wonderful robust projection, volume and tone. It was the whole package. It was one of my favorites at the show.
Thanks Jay. I'm glad you came and checked them out. I would love to invite everyone else to come check them out too!! They are to play FIRST and to look great second!! All the inlay, neck details and abalone is just "extra" and adds to the potential personal heirloom appeal. They are made for players first.

Hope you all have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:31 PM

A headstock break I'm fixing for a friend. Common to these necks. (not a guitar I built).

This is a stronger neck in this area because of the laminations.

This is a stiffer neck too. My chosen layout!

Kevin.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:23 PM

It was a beautiful day in Iowa today. Humidity was low enough in the afternoon so I re-sawed some bear claw tops and some walnut back and sides for my next couple EVA UM's. These are going to be sweet guitars.

Here is the line drawing of the EVA UM

the forms

the walnut sides in my shop (shop lighting). These are actually two separate sets...just got them out of this board. I have three more like this.

Here are some of the bear claw sitka spruce tops I've got. Cut some of these today.

Very tight grain means this top is going to be very stiff and I can voice this top for nice lush open tones !!

These are going to be some nice tops. Black translucent.

Kevin.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:27 PM

...continued.

Here is another EVA UM bear claw sitka top.

Here is the walnut outside in the natural light.

I'll be working in a 15" lower bout EVA UM too...maybe off this run.

Have a great day!!

Kevin.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:40 AM

This walnut is going to be really pleasing to the eye and to the ear. It is part of the voice of this guitar. Those that played it know. I'll talk more about it later, and how it works in this EVA UM guitar. I also like how its plentiful and native with no known restrictions. This helps make this guitar "green" and compliant with so many players. I don't really see a need to use a different back and side wood if the players love the voice of the guitar.

Talk later.

Kevin.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:24 PM

Here is my EVA JM guitar line drawing. This is the same exact shape as the EVA UM. The JM has the traditionally placed round sound hole and the EVA UM has the offset sound hole.

The open ended rosette will be a "signature" of this guitar. And the pic above is simulating this look. I think it will look really sharp on the real thing.

I processed my next few tops today also. These are going to be nice for these guitars. I'm really getting these dialed in to my ranges.

and these are the last couple rosettes I've done.

Hope you had a great day.

Kevin.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:28 PM

For those of you in Texas, I'll be going to the Arlington Guitar Show Oct 17-18, 2015. If your close, please come and check out my guitars. I'll have some of these with me.

The Arlington Show is a great show!! I've got some great customers from around that area!!!

Thanks.

Have a great day!!!

Kevin.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:59 PM

Thanks to this Leopard promotion, I've got a few nice things moving forward because of it. I've got something super special coming up for my 20th Anniversary build in 2016. I'm going to unveil this at the Santa Barbara Show in Sept/Oct 2016 guitar show. My hope is to blow some minds (and ears ).

Anyway, I talked recently about how this EVA UM sounded. It is just so full and lush. I have a great customer from Texas who owns an EVA JM, which is the same exact shape/dimension as the UM, but the sound hole is in the traditional spot. This EVA JM sounded full and lush too and he is an excellent player; with the point being - offset or center sound hole - this one is dialed in. I'd consider this guitar "tuned" and some of the best sounding work I've done. I think the success in this model is the size of the body, the deflection test-work I've done on the top and the walnut back and sides.

I think the walnut has a huge role to play in the lushness of this guitar. Also its claro, so its not super stiff. I think that gives me more of a "live back" feel - plus I get to show off some amazing wood that is not on any list of endangerment. I'd say "this walnut is ""my holy grail"" for tone generation on my EVA UM guitar. To the point, I don't think it should be exchanged for any other back and side wood...except, yes, The Tree Mahogany and Koa. It seems counterintuitive to the rosewood sounds...I guess I just feel I've found a winner in this walnut. But if someone wants some other species I sure would listen.

I don't talk about braces too much because that is proprietary to most, but I think I'm going to show this one. This is my back brace in my EVA UM.

Its somewhat "springy" in the middle with the edges being stiffened around the sides. I run a straight brace across the lower bottom. This in conjunction with the walnut is what gets me the bass tones.

Its fun.

Hope you all have a great evening.

Kevin.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop