The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-09-2011, 04:49 PM

Brett et al.,

I have a very early Traugott built in 1988. It's the fourth one he made by himself, and has the only known example of his inlay work. It's cool as hell.

What's interesting is that his guitars have been great since the begginning. The one I have has all his nascent ideas, just not perfected. I love that guitar and have enjoyed it tremendously for 22 years....it looks it, too!
Old 05-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoventry View Post
Brett et al.,

I have a very early Traugott built in 1988. It's the fourth one he made by himself, and has the only known example of his inlay work. It's cool as hell.

What's interesting is that his guitars have been great since the begginning. The one I have has all his nascent ideas, just not perfected. I love that guitar and have enjoyed it tremendously for 22 years....it looks it, too!
I've played a few of Jeff's earlier guitars from the early 90's... great guitars and exactly as you describe.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 05-09-2011, 11:14 PM

MikeD,

BTW, my guitar has played that song in the bottom of your quote area many, many times.

....we can share what we got of yours, 'cause we done shared all of mine....
Old 05-11-2011, 08:33 AM

Default The Fretboard is Cut

Hi all-

Jeff and I have had lots of discussions, but most of that has been around the fretboard and some custom inlay we'll be doing. As I mentioned, Jeff is working on my guitar in an "as he goes" fashion, so I never know what's going to happen when. It makes for a fun time, checking email, that's for sure. And because we're getting some work done on the fretboard, he's actually already cut the board:

It's amazing that, with the fan fret, a normal fairly boring black (ebony) fretboard can become such an object of fascination and inspection. How intriguing are those slanted frets? And the ebony itself is wonderful quality, with some nice streaking that's subtle apparent even in this picture.

I'll follow this up shortly with the interesting, one-of-a-kind work that Larry Robinson is doing in the board.

-B

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]

Last edited by bdm0509; 03-12-2015 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Fixed dead links.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:18 PM

Default Fretboard Inlay

One of my fascinations is with language. Over the last year, I've learned both Koine Greek (the language in which the New Testament of the Bible is written) as well as Hebrew. There's something quite intriguing to me about the nuances of language; the "same thing" said in another language brings all sorts of new connotation and intrigue. In the same way, something that you've read a thousand times becomes new and different when read for the first time in a different language.

Given that fascination, and my desire for my instruments to each be unique--not just from each other, but from the "standard" to which each builder builds--language is one of my go-to ideas for doing something one-off. Little touches, without getting into tons of inlay and over-stated-ness (not a word, but I'm rolling with it), make an instrument distinctively "mine."

For the Traugott, I had seen a picture on his site of some inlay in gold that I loved:

That particular guitar has Konji script, but the idea was very cool to me. It also maintains an elegance to me that most inlays, in my opinion, simply don't.

So I settled on a bit of Hebrew that I found both personally meaningful, and also congruent with the making of music on guitar. It's is a small portion of Psalm 51:8 in English (Psalm 51:10 in the Hebrew Bible), and is generally translated something like "let the bones that [you] have broken rejoice." Seems particularly fitting to me, and certainly I rejoice well on the guitar.

For those into this sort of thing, note that this is a particularly old script, and as is typical of this period, doesn't include vowel points.

I sent that to Jeff, who worked up a quote with Larry Robinson. We went sailing forward, and Jeff just today sent me pics of the inlay (on paper) to verify positioning. We agreed on a few tweaks, and the fretboard is now off to Larry. Here's what in rough form will soon be gorgeous:

And here's a slightly closer view:

Enjoy.

[SoundCloud | YouTube]

Last edited by bdm0509; 03-12-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Fixing dead links
Old 05-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Tone Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
One of my fascinations is with language.
Fellow linguist here (and linguaphile)... So, it is not surprising that I absolutely love what you are doing with the fretboard! It is a great idea, and it is doubtless that Larry Robinson's execution thereof will be flawless.

Koine Greek and Hebrew in one year? Wowsers!
De la Rosa - Brazilian RW/Swiss Moon Spruce (Coming April 2012)

Maingard
Grand Concert - Brazilian RW/German Spruce (2005)

Tippin
OMT - EIR/European Spruce (2000) (Voicing updated 2006)
Old 06-13-2011, 04:08 PM

Default Hello, Mr. Robinson

Larry Robinson has, once again, taken paper and turned it into something else entirely. The fretboard is back in Jeff's hands, and pictures are in mine.

What a lovely day. Pictures from Jeff, and all of it is getting so interesting.

Enjoy. Jeff is a fine, fine craftsmen.

[SoundCloud | YouTube]

Last edited by bdm0509; 03-12-2015 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Fixed dead links and updated text.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 PM

Did I miss the rest of this story? Just wondered how this build turned out...
Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
Did I miss the rest of this story? Just wondered how this build turned out...
I would also like to know what the final on this project is.

Steve
Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 AM

To the top!

What happened?

cheers,
Steve
Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

http://www.luthierscollection.com/images.php?id=green3

It looks like the Greenfield is on consignment there. Really hope all is well.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:45 AM

This is happening...

Much more to come. Wild 48 hours, wild week, wild month.

Anyone who thinks playing guitar is boring is out of their minds.

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-12-2015, 09:19 AM

Well, after many recent discussions with you I see you have opted for a Traugott BK. In my view, as good an instrument as you could've chosen. Should make a nice compliment to your Kraut (if that is still a reality). Congratulations on your decision.

Is Jeff going to resume building this guitar, or will he be starting on a new one for you? What's the story?

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."

Last edited by billgennaro; 03-12-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
This is happening...

Much more to come. Wild 48 hours, wild week, wild month.

Anyone who thinks playing guitar is boring is out of their minds.
The rapid vicissitudes of your custom build decisions is becoming dizzying. From what I've gathered, in the course of a couple of weeks you've gone from Brondel to Walker to Traugott, while also dropping a Greenfield build. It's certainly not boring, though how much it actually has to do with "playing guitar" is another matter. I look forward to hearing and seeing more.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
The rapid vicissitudes of your custom build decisions is becoming dizzying. From what I've gathered, in the course of a couple of weeks you've gone from Brondel to Walker to Traugott, while also dropping a Greenfield build. It's certainly not boring, though how much it actually has to do with "playing guitar" is another matter. I look forward to hearing and seeing more.
Hey man... Understandable if you're paying attention to my sig, although that's only a reflection of my typos lately. I'm still on Kim Walker and Mike Greenfield's list in the next 2 years, I just accidentally deleted those lines adding the Traugott.

The only build I actually "started" and stopped was the Brondel... more soon when I'm not on my phone (and prone to make the errors that confused you earlier!).

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop