The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-25-2011, 06:17 AM
*mahoganut*

Huck - glad to see these. I had forgotten that you "scored" that last set of blue spruce! I know where five of the sets went now - Warren Barfield's brazilian, the Black and Blue that prutton is selling, the "lava" guitar that I have named Volcano, Juston's, and now yours.

I am also very excited to see the higuerilla - I saw quite a bit of it at Mike's shop in February. Very interesting wood!

Nicely done on the purfling on the soundhole as well - both you and Mike!

Best,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Looking really great so far!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Huck - glad to see these. I had forgotten that you "scored" that last set of blue spruce! I know where five of the sets went now - Warren Barfield's brazilian, the Black and Blue that prutton is selling, the "lava" guitar that I have named Volcano, Juston's, and now yours.
Wow, I missed that prutton was selling Black and Blue - he was the original owner of my JX, and traded that and a mahogany JX for Black and Blue. In other circumstances I'd be tempted - an African blackwood Baranik would sound stunning. But for now I'll wait for Aurora.

She's in the mold now, with blocks and linings.

Interesting the way the kerfing is set into the end block rather than butting up against it.

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 06-01-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
- an African blackwood Baranik would sound stunning.
I've heard one, played it, I live near it. Really, really good.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
In other circumstances I'd be tempted - an African blackwood Baranik would sound stunning.
They do, they do. I know Mike names them by colour but if I was to name my ABW Italian spruce CX it would be based on the sound, something like "honey and fine wine".

But Jenn's and Huck's are/will be every bit as special as my CX. I wish we had an annual Baranik get together so I could try all the new Meridians that have been posted on AGF over the past year or two. Do you all want to come down to Australia some time? I can't pay the airfares but I'll buy the wine!

Thanks for the new photos Huck.

Col
Old 06-02-2011, 07:13 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
I wish we had an annual Baranik get together so I could try all the new Meridians that have been posted on AGF over the past year or two.
Jenn, Mike, and Dorian did have a mini-get together at a concert in Feb/Mar, and I *almost* got to be there.

Several of us have had one-on-one discussions on getting together on the central California coast, and I think that would be grand. If we could coordinate with some of you Baranik owners from other parts of the world who might be in Cal for business or pleasure that would be great, although traveling with your 'nik could be risky. We "locals" will be glad to share!

If anyone is interested in pursuing this idea further, PM or email me @ riorider at earthlink dot net.

Huckleberry - this is really looking good. I love how the inside wood looks even at this point. That will be a visual treat through the sound hole and port!

Phil

Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Boswell RW/koa OO
Old 06-03-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Jenn, Mike, and Dorian did have a mini-get together at a concert in Feb/Mar, and I *almost* got to be there.

Several of us have had one-on-one discussions on getting together on the central California coast, and I think that would be grand. If we could coordinate with some of you Baranik owners from other parts of the world who might be in Cal for business or pleasure that would be great, although traveling with your 'nik could be risky. We "locals" will be glad to share!

If anyone is interested in pursuing this idea further, PM or email me @ riorider at earthlink dot net.
That concert was a grand night. SO fun to have so many Baraniks in one place, and great to have Mike in the audience. Let's see if I can get this right:

Mine:
CX, cedar and Cocobolo
Meridian, Carpathian and Cocobolo

Dorian:
Meridian, some kind of spruce and cocobolo
JX, cedar and cocobolo
(he has others, but those were the two used that night)

Martin Paris:
Meridian, Carpathian and African Blackwood

A grand night! The three of us are friends and all live within a half hour's drive of each other. +1 for a get together sometime...that would be huge fun!

Jenn
Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Love that side wood combination Huck, very tasteful. Glad to see the progress. Is Mike taking this to Healdsburg or sending it straight to you? Can he send it via Australia?

Col
I don't think Mike is planning on taking this one to Healdsburg - but I've seen some early photos of some of the guitars he will be bringing, and they're looking spectacular. Sorry, it won't be travelling via Australia this time...

Quote:
They do, they do. I know Mike names them by colour but if I was to name my ABW Italian spruce CX it would be based on the sound, something like "honey and fine wine".

But Jenn's and Huck's are/will be every bit as special as my CX. I wish we had an annual Baranik get together so I could try all the new Meridians that have been posted on AGF over the past year or two. Do you all want to come down to Australia some time? I can't pay the airfares but I'll buy the wine!

Thanks for the new photos Huck.

Col
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post
That concert was a grand night. SO fun to have so many Baraniks in one place, and great to have Mike in the audience. Let's see if I can get this right:

Mine:
CX, cedar and Cocobolo
Meridian, Carpathian and Cocobolo

Dorian:
Meridian, some kind of spruce and cocobolo
JX, cedar and cocobolo
(he has others, but those were the two used that night)

Martin Paris:
Meridian, Carpathian and African Blackwood

A grand night! The three of us are friends and all live within a half hour's drive of each other. +1 for a get together sometime...that would be huge fun!

Jenn
A Baranik get-together would be fantastic. I usually visit California once a year or so, but my next visit is not likely to be until 2012.

Col, I'd love to visit Australia again too - I had only a flying visit to Sydney on my way to Christchurch, about 15 years ago. Perhaps our Baraniks will meet sometime!

Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 06-14-2011, 10:05 AM

Default Aurora has a face!

A couple of quick photo updates.

These are the woods we chose for the headstock overlay - macassar ebony, spalted michinga and cocobolo.

And here's the overlay assembled, with the snakewood binding.

I'm loving the richness of the grain in the ebony and cocobolo, and the contrast with the spalted michinga. This theme will be continued on the rosette and rear headstock volute too.

Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
These are the woods we chose for the headstock overlay - macassar ebony, spalted michinga and cocobolo.

Huckleberry - very nice choices. Perhaps something Mike will need to answer - but it looks like the snakewood is inlaid, and that the excess will be removed (by routing, I presume). Is that correct? That seems to my ignorant eye as an extra complex process - routing the inlay channel, laying the inlay wood, then routing the outside; all rather than routing a channel for the binding after cutting the headstock to shape. Curious. Ignorance isn't always bliss. Just wondering.

Beautiful grain; elegant colors in the purfling and all - like all of Mike's work!

Phil
Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
A Baranik get-together would be fantastic. I usually visit California once a year or so, but my next visit is not likely to be until 2012.
Ok, let's start planning something. I propose spring 2012 - or whenever most can make it. Col, Huck, and other non-US send me possible dates; I presume Jenn and others in central California can make it reasonably easily. Jenn - maybe there will be a combined concert again, around which we can schedule this?

I've talked with Steve (El Conquistador) about this as well, and we had some ideas. Al is just down the coast; and I'm fairly sure we can get a "quorum" that would be well worth everyone's time.

Maybe if Tony still has the Black and Blue it could come "visit"!!!

Email me if interested - or if someone else wants to coordinate that's great! Phil is [email protected]. Ignore the spamfilter note. I'll see your email.

Cheers!

Phil

Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Boswell RW/koa OO
Old 06-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
A couple of quick photo updates.

I'm loving the richness of the grain in the ebony and cocobolo, and the contrast with the spalted michinga. This theme will be continued on the rosette and rear headstock volute too.
Looks fantastic, very tasteful. I bet the guitar will look amazing when it's finished - with a sound to match.

Bourgeois JOM custom - Adirondack/koa
Brook OM custom (maybe!) - Bubinga/Sitka
Lowden F 25th anniversary model - European/Brazilian
David Oddy J - Englemann/Brazilian
David Oddy mandocello - European spruce/flame maple
David Oddy A4 mandolin
Old 06-15-2011, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

That is simply beautiful Huck, I hope that Mike is enjoying the build as much as we are.

When I get to ordering a new guitar will you design it for me?

Col
Old 06-15-2011, 03:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok, let's start planning something. I propose spring 2012 - or whenever most can make it. Col, Huck, and other non-US send me possible dates; I presume Jenn and others in central California can make it reasonably easily. Jenn - maybe there will be a combined concert again, around which we can schedule this?

Cheers!

Phil
I’m in Phil, but you know how bad my travel plans are! One day I will bite the bullet and travel for a holiday, when I want to, rather than for business.

For those that don’t know it, I have been planning to drop in on Phil (and Mike) since last November as I had a business trip to the US planned. That trip has been delayed more times than I have had hot meals, but I am determined to get here Phil! I promise!

Col
Old 06-15-2011, 06:53 AM

I'm curious about the pilot holes in the top of the headstock. What are they for, or will that part by cut away in the final product?

EDIT: On second glance, I see them at the lower corners, too. I assume they are some kind of trim guides?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop